Powerlifting Routine 3 Days Per Week?

Are there any 3x a week powerlifting routines out there I heard good things of sheiko but I don’t have time to spend 2 hours in the gym … any one know any other routines?

I look at 5/3/1 as a hybrid program, but I follow it to reach my maxes.

There is a 3 week version of 5/3/1, as well as you can follow the ‘Borig But Big’ (it is the 5/3/1 combined with a set of additional exercises) method which only requires you execute: 1) the main lift of the day; 2) a back-off series; and 3) an accessory exercise from your choice. Another advantage that can be of your interest is that you do not need to spend two hours to complete these three sets of exercises.

But, in a long term basis, it is amolst inevitable that you will need to spend more hours to become a high performance athlete (sometimes this is a consequence, not a primary intention). And, at that time, you will rethink about Sheiko programs.

Ok that makes sense I know about 5/3/1 and BBB. But wouldn’t BBB be too low frequency specially if ran 3x a week?

BBB requires 50 reps/week disregarding the 5/3/1 main lifts.

So, for a bench press on Monday, for example, the practioner will execute in the day of the main lift a minimum number of reps such as 9 (week ‘3’) + 50 (back-off) = 59 reps.

As an accessory, let´s say on Friday, this practioner can program 5x10=50 reps as an accessory, for example, dumbbell fly.

At the end of the week: pectorals will be required in a 109 reps volume, which is a good number, in my humble opinion.

The same can be applied to the other lifts (except for deadlifts), taking care of:
to separate of what is strenght emphasized (5/3/1 lifts) and mass/hypertrofy emphasized (the 5x10 series).

Personally I do not like a stationary 5x10 reps. I like to apply pyramid, increase the loads at each set, as well as decreasing the number of reps. But, at the end, ~50 reps are done. So, I begin with a 50% and finish on 65% tops (more than 65% I address to the strenght series).

I understand that accessories will make the muscle get hit more that once a week . But is it still optimal hitting the big lifts every 9th day assuming u are talking about 531 then BBB same lift ? Because if split on a 3 day it would be m/w/f/m . So one of 4 lifts won’t be hit till Monday week 2 and so on .

After crossing the 40yo barrier I felt some dificulties facing my bro-splits to fit inside a week.

When I saw 5/3/1 mon/wed/fri programs I felt very skeptical. I didn´t believe that such nine day cycle could bring me to new levels. I was wrong.

What I liked most it is the ‘miss feeling’ about the lift. I expected the day of each lift. I arrived at gym with ansiety to test my AMRAP (As Much Repetions as Possible. It is a concept that is explained in the 5/3/1. There are other programs that use this same concept). After that until today (50 yo now), I never left this train/rest/train sensation. It is something like a ‘full reload’.

So, independently of following the 5/3/1, my bro-programs broke the seven day cycle. I consider the M/W/F/M scheme.

But, in my particular case, I feel happy to progress 4-5 pounds on one or two months for bench/ohp or 5-9 pounds on squat/deadlifts. Lots of people do not have interest in such progress and consider it slow. My main variables today are BF, a good lifestyle, etc. Problem is that I like to lift heavy loads, listen heavy metal, teach my kid to lift listening Manowar, etc. So I proceed until the day I die.

1 Like

Oh don’t get me wrong I know the pursuit of strenght is a journey and I don’t mind slow progress my self im glad I’m done with linear progression grinding loads to death. I just wanted to hear your opinion on splitting that particular template over 3 days wich seems like it has worked for you . I’ve seen an option to have ohp on the same day as deadlift but doing both main and their bbbs on the same day seems insane . So I will consider doing it the other way .

1 Like

Hit the competition lifts hard enough and 3 days will be plenty. Drop the OHP day and use the OHP as assistance rather than a main day.

I’m not a fan of BBB unless you’re small and need to add a lot of muscle or need time under the bar because you’re relatively new. If you’ve been lifting a while, I recommend using Joker Sets if you need them.

I also recommend not doing AMRAP every single time. Sometimes just do the recommended reps. If that doesn’t feel like enough volume, add 2-4 more sets at that weight or do Joker sets.

Lots of ways to do it. Let the training that day dictate the workout - how the weight feels, how the weight is moving, how your mind and body feel.

Good luck!

Alright thx for the tip ill will see what I can do I think ohp responds better to volume anyway .

It’s true that the 5/3/1 setup as described would probably be too low frequency for most people. The other option would be a full body version of 5/3/1 (there are many different templates if you read the books), basically every workout you would either squat or deadlift, bench or some other pressing, and some assistance work. I don’t like the idea of OHP as a main lift either because it just isn’t a competition lift, you would be better off using it as an assistance lift and either picking another bench variation as a main lift (close grip would be my first choice) or just alternating heavy and light/higher volume bench workouts.

The downside is that this will take longer, not necessarily 2 hours, but your workouts would be shorter if you are using an upper/lower split. However, only training each lift once a week is not very good for the vast majority of people.

1 Like

Try this below, has some of the best feedback of all the templates .Then do 1.2 then beach body (skip1.3&4)

2 Likes

Always wanted to try it, never have, but Korte’s 3x3 is a 3 day program.

1 Like

These templates look great I did a little bit more digging what do u guys think of 5/3/1 full body full boring it’s on the black iron beast site .it has no press but squat bench deadlift 3x a week. .

Thx all for the suggestions I now have a couple of options to take on .