T Nation

Powerlifting Niggles and Pains

To All Powerlifters

Hello my name is Richard and i am from the UK, im in the military and represent them in competitive powerlifting and on the 7th march i have my ‘nationals’ so my training has been focused solely towards this date and qualifying for the ‘worlds’.

Now to the reason why i have contacted you guys.

Over the past 2-3 weeks i have been having tightness deep behind my left gluteus maximus and the outside of my left leg. When i first wake up in the morning the tightness is behind the left glute down to the tibialis anterior. This occurs when walking and more intense when i swing my leg diagonally in front of right leg. As the day progresses the tightness eases off but doesnt totally clear.

The first phase of my warm-up is foam rolling and the really tender areas are my piriformis and peroneus longus/tibialis anterior area on my left leg. I then progress onto mobility for the hips,lower back etc and finally into jumping rope/dynamic work. This warm-up seems to improve the situation vastly ready to train.

Last week(friday squat day) when i squated, as soon as the weight increased(100kg +) and i set myself into my stance ready to start the eccentric phase i get a pain on the outside of my left leg in the areas as mentioned. I have never experienced any of this before.

I am currently on 5/3/1 and training 4 days a week(mon,tue,thu,fri).
After the weekend of the ‘nationals’ im going to drop to 3 days a week(mon,wed,fri) and hopefully the added rest will improve the current situation.

So my question is:-

Have you ever came across this problem with your athletes? how do you deal with these areas? is there anything i need/should be doing to improve the situation? Any information that could be thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Look forward to hearing from you

Richard

‘Stay Strong’

[quote]richtapz wrote:
To All Powerlifters

Hello my name is Richard and i am from the UK, im in the military and represent them in competitive powerlifting and on the 7th march i have my ‘nationals’ so my training has been focused solely towards this date and qualifying for the ‘worlds’.

Now to the reason why i have contacted you guys.

Over the past 2-3 weeks i have been having tightness deep behind my left gluteus maximus and the outside of my left leg. When i first wake up in the morning the tightness is behind the left glute down to the tibialis anterior. This occurs when walking and more intense when i swing my leg diagonally in front of right leg. As the day progresses the tightness eases off but doesnt totally clear.

The first phase of my warm-up is foam rolling and the really tender areas are my piriformis and peroneus longus/tibialis anterior area on my left leg. I then progress onto mobility for the hips,lower back etc and finally into jumping rope/dynamic work. This warm-up seems to improve the situation vastly ready to train.

Last week(friday squat day) when i squated, as soon as the weight increased(100kg +) and i set myself into my stance ready to start the eccentric phase i get a pain on the outside of my left leg in the areas as mentioned. I have never experienced any of this before.

I am currently on 5/3/1 and training 4 days a week(mon,tue,thu,fri).
After the weekend of the ‘nationals’ im going to drop to 3 days a week(mon,wed,fri) and hopefully the added rest will improve the current situation.

So my question is:-

Have you ever came across this problem with your athletes? how do you deal with these areas? is there anything i need/should be doing to improve the situation? Any information that could be thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Look forward to hearing from you

Richard

‘Stay Strong’
[/quote]

Sounds like itb syndrome. Only other thing to do is rest.

Hmmm. That’s exactly the way I felt during the last two weeks of Smolov. I didn’t know there was a name for it.

Niggles??

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Niggles??[/quote]

Those are the little shits that steal your shoes and jewelry when you arent looking from Harry Potter.

OOOOhhhh… those are nargles… uhhh yeah no idea what niggles are. sounds racist.

Its not racist guys by any stretch of the imagination.

Im from the UK and its just another word for aches.

Apologies for the choice of words.

No offence was intended.

Cheers

Rich

Niggles is a great word, I knew exactly what you meant!

[quote]richtapz wrote:
Its not racist guys by any stretch of the imagination.

Im from the UK and its just another word for aches.

Apologies for the choice of words.

No offence was intended.

Cheers

Rich[/quote]

Dont worry i wasnt serious. lol