T Nation

Powerlifting Meets: Reports, PR's, Experiences, Questions

Due to the large number of threads popping up lately asking the same questions about how to prepare for your first meet or giving reports of new PR’s and experiences, I figured we could consolidate this all into a single thread so none of us have to wade through 6-7 “First meet in a month” and “New Bench Press PR: Sponsored by…” threads on the front page.

I dont know about everyone else, but I tend to skim over a lot of that stuff and in the same vein as Meat’s PR thread, consolidating all of that would be beneficial.

So, here you go.

Nice idea, but I’d be very surprised if people actually play ball. Hopefully they will.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Nice idea, but I’d be very surprised if people actually play ball. Hopefully they will.[/quote]

x2

I’m getting tired of seeing “first meet” threads constantly. Hopefully this will reduce the number.

Well, I’ll kick things off…

My first meet is going to be in May. I actually just started training in fall of last year, so I’m still feeling my way around.

I’m 195lbs right now and here are my [raw] numbers:

Deadlift: 405x4
Squat: 405x10
Bench: 335x1

Obviously I haven’t maxed my dead and squat in quite some time.

Anyway, over the next two months I will be trying to up my lifts and get used to the squat suit and bench shirt (I have gnarly scars from the fucker already).

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Nice idea, but I’d be very surprised if people actually play ball. Hopefully they will.[/quote]

If it were to get stickied and stay at the top of the forum, it would be more likely to be used.

Just sayin’

I SAY GO FOR BROKE…we need an actual powerlifting forum. I mean to some it may seem like watering down lemonade beings as bodybuilding has its own forum, so if PL had its own, stongman left? and thats kind of small. /rant.

My first meet is April 18 in the usapl.
current: 385/250(touch and go/435(SWAG)

goals 405/250/455

I just got done with bill starr’s 5x5 a couple weeks ago and now I’m doing Westside. I’ve had great success using Westside benching (I didn’t know it, I got it from someone on this site) after 5x5 to increase my 1RM.

I’ve never gone below 5 reps per set for squat or dead(except when maxing,) so hopefully my 1RM will improve rapidly. I’ll be going for 395 and if I’m up to it 405 in the squat Tuesday, I’ll try to get a video.

[quote]Rape Weight wrote:
Well, I’ll kick things off…

My first meet is going to be in May. I actually just started training in fall of last year, so I’m still feeling my way around.

I’m 195lbs right now and here are my [raw] numbers:

Deadlift: 405x4
Squat: 405x10
Bench: 335x1

Obviously I haven’t maxed my dead and squat in quite some time.

Anyway, over the next two months I will be trying to up my lifts and get used to the squat suit and bench shirt (I have gnarly scars from the fucker already).[/quote]

What’s going on with your deadlift? If you can hit 405 for 10 reps then your deadlift should be higher.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Nice idea, but I’d be very surprised if people actually play ball. Hopefully they will.

If it were to get stickied and stay at the top of the forum, it would be more likely to be used.

Just sayin’[/quote]

you just want the free t-shirt

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Rape Weight wrote:
Well, I’ll kick things off…

My first meet is going to be in May. I actually just started training in fall of last year, so I’m still feeling my way around.

I’m 195lbs right now and here are my [raw] numbers:

Deadlift: 405x4
Squat: 405x10
Bench: 335x1

Obviously I haven’t maxed my dead and squat in quite some time.

Anyway, over the next two months I will be trying to up my lifts and get used to the squat suit and bench shirt (I have gnarly scars from the fucker already).

What’s going on with your deadlift? If you can hit 405 for 10 reps then your deadlift should be higher.[/quote]

The last time I deadlifted was two weeks ago and the squat PR happened this past Monday. I think when I do dead again it will increase appropriately.

I tried deadlifting this Wednesday but I was not recovered from squats and did not have a satisfactory session.

If everything goes well, I should be goin to a comp. at the end of this month. Im 16, and will be competing in the 242 raw weight class (yea im fat).

My goals are:
Squat: 365
Bench: 275
Deadlift: 405

I think these goals are pretty reasonable. The bench might be a little to much (just got over a shoulder injury), but my squat and deadlifts are only about 20 lbs. away.

My coach competed in the Con-Crete Raw Challenge at the Arnie today. He won the Master’s 181, and came close to winning the open.

Squat: 500 (missed 520)
Bench: 340
Deadlift: 600 (missed 640)

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
My coach competed in the Con-Crete Raw Challenge at the Arnie today. He won the Master’s 181, and came close to winning the open.

Squat: 500 (missed 520)
Bench: 340
Deadlift: 600 (missed 640)[/quote]

Nice lifts. Are the results posted anywhere? I checked Powerlifting Watch, but they only had sporadic results.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/10745#comment

EDIT: link to results now posted. The Canadians did a great job, winning 3 open weight classes (82.5/100/110). It’ll be interesting to see how those guys do tomorrow since all three are competing again, equipted!

Also, Greg Doucette is only e few weeks out from a bodybuilding competition. The guys an animal!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Nice idea, but I’d be very surprised if people actually play ball. Hopefully they will.

If it were to get stickied and stay at the top of the forum, it would be more likely to be used.

Just sayin’

you just want the free t-shirt[/quote]

They give you a free tshirt if you get stickied?

Shit, well, definitely make this one then!

Today, 198lb raw open division in USAPL. First meet.

Weighed in at 189, a little light for me.

I went 8 for 9.

Squat: 429.7 , missed 451.7

Bench: 314

Deadlift: 518

total: 1261.7

Lost my form or concentration on the squat. Deadlift was the only PR I hit, but I was very pleased with the whole experience.

[quote]westnile wrote:
Today, 198lb raw open division in USAPL. First meet.

Weighed in at 189, a little light for me.

I went 8 for 9.

Squat: 429.7 , missed 451.7

Bench: 314

Deadlift: 518

total: 1261.7

Lost my form or concentration on the squat. Deadlift was the only PR I hit, but I was very pleased with the whole experience.[/quote]

Nice job, that’s a pretty good total for your first meet. Did you get any videos of your lifts?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Nice job, that’s a pretty good total for your first meet. Did you get any videos of your lifts?[/quote]

Yes, I will post on youtube once I get them from my friends and family.