T Nation

Powerlifting Meet Rules?

Could somebody give me the rules of the lifts in powerlifting? Tell me when you need to pause in a certain lift. Do you actually pause with a bar on your chest in the bench? Dou you come to a complete stop? Do you pause at all in the bottom of the squats? I’ve never been to a meet and would like more info. Thanks

Here are the rules for the United States Powerlifting Federation.
http://www.powerliftingca.com/rules.htm

Here are the rules for the World Association of Benchers and Dead Lifters.
http://www.wabdl.org/official_rules.htm

The rules are going to vary because there are so many federations. If you are planning to compete figure out which federation you are going to lift in so you can get their specific rules.

Each organization is a little different-but if you follow these you can’t be disqualified. Powerlifting is judged by 3 judges-each controls a light, either white or red. Two of the three judges must give you a white light in order for the lift to count.

Squat: Once you unrack the weight and are in position you are given a down signal. The top of the hip crease must go below the top of the knee joint. There need not be a pause. Once you get back to standing you will be told to rerack the weight.

Bench: You must remain in three points of contact at all times. Your shoulders and butt must stay in contact with the bench, and your feet must remain flat on the floor. Lift off is allowed. Lower the bar to touch your chest. It is not so much a pause, but demonstrating control. You must wait for the judge to give the press signal before coming back up. You must also wait for a rack signal before you can replace the bar in the rack.

Deadlift: Just pick the damn thing up :slight_smile: Seriously as long as you do not stop the upward movement of the bar-like resting it on your legs to regrip-you just stand to attention. It is not necessary to lean backwards-just your knees, hips, and shoulders all need to be in a straight line. Once again-wait for the down signal!

Pitt provided you with a pretty good synopsis. As stated before, rules vary by federation, but there are some relative constants. Keep in mind that any fed you lift in will have a rules briefing before the meet starts. Additionally, there are always experienced lifters around who will have no problem taking a look at your warm-ups to make sure everything looks OK.

Bench: You must remain in three points of contact at all times. Your shoulders and butt must stay in contact with the bench, and your feet must remain flat on the floor. Lift off is allowed. Lower the bar to touch your chest. It is not so much a pause, but demonstrating control. You must wait for the judge to give the press signal before coming back up. You must also wait for a rack signal before you can replace the bar in the rack.

May I add the the feet should not shift at all during the Bench Press.

Well you may, but you would be inaccurate in a couple feds. For example from the IPF rulebook:

1. To achieve firm footing the lifter may use flat surfaced plates or blocks not exceeding 30 cm in total height to build up the surface of the platform. Blocks in the range of 5 cm, 10 cm, 20 cm, 30 cm, should be made available for foot placement at all international competitions. Slight or very minor foot movement is allowed for both the platform and on the blocks, i.e. the width of the foot laterally, and half the length of the foot forward or backward.

Check Total Elites rules section. They have several links to Fed rules.

http://www.totalelite.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6