Powerlifting Max Bench Arch

I don’t disagree, I find huge benches with massive arches generally unimpressive. I respect the feat of strength, I just don’t enjoy watching it, and this is from a powerlifter. There are many elements of many sports that I think detract from the ‘quality’ of competition.

That said I’d never judge or denigrate a competitor from competing within the rules. I don’t like arching, but I still do it when i compete.

2 Likes

There is a lot of bullshit on the internet about lifting, it’s not your fault. Arching is cheating, sumo is cheating, and if you don’t squat at least 6 inches below parallel it’s high. And belts and wraps are cheating too and it’s not raw. Meets that pass blatantly bad lifts are a different story, but you can’t change the rules because a couple guys can do something that doesn’t look right to the average person. Like some people want flat backed benching, but some girls with big asses would have to round their back to comply with that. It just can’t work.

Mark Bell was defending people squatting a foot above parallel, his opinion isn’t worth much on this topic unfortunately.

1 Like

Curious as to @bulldog9899 's thoughts on the ARCH :joy:

1 Like

Non- failure, controversial! I like it.

Who exactly told you this? Did he even lift?

Arching is healthy for the shoulders, which is why I do it. I naturally end up with a big arch by retracting/depressing my scapulae.

People who don’t even arch complain about “Durr but you don’t get ROM by arching, so you can’t build your chest” - but that’s what close grip, duffalo, and dumbbells are for. I always walk out with a crazy chest pump off arched benching.

2 Likes

I had non-lifting co-workers tell me that I’m lifting too heavy if I need belt, sleeves, wrist wraps, and headband

3 Likes

RPS and SPF don’t allow it. It’s lateral movement of the feet. Now how many people get called is a different story.

You also can’t put your feet on the bench rail or feet on the mono yet people do it.

1 Like

Headbands have powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

1 Like

Every fed has its particularities. In WPC you get red lights on bench for not locking both arms out at the same time or “pronounced uneven extension”. A lot of IPF ass kissers would fail on that alone.

Need one with a lever for maximum intracranial pressure.

3 Likes

Weightlifting might get thrown out of the Olympics because of the amount of positive drug tests, I don’t think it would be any different if the IPF was there.

2 Likes

Someone needs to start the non-tested Olympics. Its what we all want.

2 Likes

Yeah Ipf has been sucking the IOC cock for awhile to be let in.

2 Likes

Fixed that for ya.

2 Likes

No, people get hurt all the time lifting. PL’s included. I’ve watched videos of PL meets with guys pulling a hamstring at the glute deadlifting.

And the surgeon I saw for my injury said it happens to people who bench heavy sooner or later.

Except you got hurt because you thought the safer way to do it was “wrong”

3 Likes

I like girls with big asses. Let this be our common ground and chill.

Just to clarify, if you have shoulders prone to getting fucked up, there is no healthy way of benching. It’s just mitigating things a bit.

1 Like

Headband and bald is the true secret.

The very short hair is not a style thing:

2 Likes

Not all of them. There are old guys benching more than you ever could, like Dave Ricks benching 450 at 60 years old, never had a serious injury either in decades of competitive lifting.

I dislocated my left shoulder maybe 10 times when I was younger, never had it operated on, just started lifting and did a lot of rehab stuff for a while. Now I’m benching over 400 with no shoulder issues at all.

No common ground, I’m not sharing with nobody and especially not you.

1 Like

Speaking of shoulder problems that reminds me to make a post in Injuries and Rehab

1 Like