Powerlifting Injuries

Yikes - I hope I never get as strong as that Marauder guy so I don’t get injured like him

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i’ve had some pretty good ones…

getting ready for a meet i was working up to my opener on squat. i had had some slight pain in my right adductor for about a week from doing step ups to too high of a box. anyway, on my opener, i stepped back and on the way down my adductor tore down the length of the muscle. once it started to tear i fell and as i feel you could hear it tearing like if you were to tear a tshirt in half. it bled out for about two days. when it finally stopped bleading both legs down into my feet were filled with blood under the skin. it took two months for the discoloration to go away.

preparing for another meet i decided to drop about 20lbs to get into a lower weight class. i decided to do a small local meet to see were my lifters were. i was apparently way more dehydrated than i thought i was. i guess i should have known because my entire lower body was cramping on my bench warmups. this was a raw push/pull comp. i opened with 485 on bench. went up easy. my second attempt was 515. on the way down my left pec tore…again, it sounded like a t-shirt ripping. it immidiately dropped but luckily the spotters caught it. after that attempt a guy that was standing in the back said he heard it rip from way back there. being hard headed i figured i could still deadlift. i warmed up with as few sets as i could. i opened with 640. i had a hard time holding onto the bar on the side of the pec tear but i got it with plenty in the tank. went to 675 for my second. as i broke it off the floor my obliques on the opposite side started to tear apparently from over compensating for the other side. i stuck with it hoping to lock it out before it completly tore… i didn’t make it and the oblique completely tore.

i was doing floor press in our squat rack that has a base elevated about 5 inches off the floor. i was doing a reps set with 455. i set the hooks so that after the set was done i could throw the bar back into the hooks. unfortunately as i was doing the set i was sliding back closer and closer to the hooks. as i finished i went to throw the bar back into the hooks but they were right above my head. i hit the hooks way early and the bar flew out of my hands and then dropped straight in the middle of my chest. it happened so fast that my training partners could only lift the bar off my chest once it stopped bouncing off me. i remember laying there thinking i’ve really fucked myself up. i imagined that i had broken my sternum and probaly did a bunch of internal damage. after laying there for awhile i went to get up and suprisingly didn’t feel too bad. i could feel one rib that was definitely broken but that was it at the moment. i actually finished my training and went home. that night i spit up some blood and continued to for a few days. my dumbass of course didn’t go to the doctor. the rib took a pretty long time to heal.

at one meet the judges were calling depth really low on squats. i had already gotten one red light on my opener so i figured i needed to get lower on my second. unfortunately i had my lever belt on a little high on my waste. as i hit the bottom with 650 i felt my belt crush the floating rib on my left side. the pain almost made me throw up in the hole. somehow i was able to finish the lift and got three whites.

i tore the other pec not doing enough warmup sets one time. i went from 225 to 495 like an idiot.

moral of the story… i WAS a dumbass for most of them and most were my fault. i would like to think i’m smarter now and haven’t had any serious injuries in a couple years. through some act of God i have fully recovered from all of them except for some tightness in the adductor at times.
[/quote]

Jeez Meat, nice credentials. How about that time you were getting your buddy pumped up for his deadlifts (i believe?) and fucked up your front delt! That one stuck in my head hah

^HOLY HELL!?

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
I saw a chart from a study somewhere which showed injury rates from different sports; of all the sports studied, weightlifting had the least amount of injuries. By weightlifting I assume they meant ‘olympic lifting’, and I would also assume that the injury rate would be similar between powerlifting and weightlifting.[/quote]

Powerlifting is very low too. Somethin like .002 out of 100 participants suffer significant injury. Weightlifting was very low too. If I remember correctly, American Football was .05 out of every 100. The highest incident of injuries is actually in soccer. 6.5 out of 100 participants. Funny that, most likely, the weakest/smallest athletes get hurt the most.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
I saw a chart from a study somewhere which showed injury rates from different sports; of all the sports studied, weightlifting had the least amount of injuries. By weightlifting I assume they meant ‘olympic lifting’, and I would also assume that the injury rate would be similar between powerlifting and weightlifting.[/quote]

Powerlifting is very low too. Somethin like .002 out of 100 participants suffer significant injury. Weightlifting was very low too. If I remember correctly, American Football was .05 out of every 100. The highest incident of injuries is actually in soccer. 6.5 out of 100 participants. Funny that, most likely, the weakest/smallest athletes get hurt the most.[/quote]

Imagine that. But so true. t powerlfiitng injuries I see are what I call minor. Strained this or that and they resolve quickly. Of course there are serious should injuries, back injuries and knee injuries, but the general public seems to get these more than decent competitive lifters.

maraudermeat: You should be happy you are not doing a more dangerous sport, you’d be dead by now.

[quote]stallion wrote:
maraudermeat: You should be happy you are not doing a more dangerous sport, you’d be dead by now.[/quote]

I know…right.

I don’t ever want to be strong like that marauder guy cos I don’t want to get injured bad

I tore a hamstring and fucked up my hip for a bit. All; better now though. Thats it in 5 years of doing it. They happened at the same time too.

Jason

I see a lot of fucked up old recreational “runners” who can barely get around under their own power and no one ever seems to question how healthy pointless jogging is.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i’ve had some pretty good ones…

getting ready for a meet i was working up to my opener on squat. i had had some slight pain in my right adductor for about a week from doing step ups to too high of a box. anyway, on my opener, i stepped back and on the way down my adductor tore down the length of the muscle. once it started to tear i fell and as i feel you could hear it tearing like if you were to tear a tshirt in half. it bled out for about two days. when it finally stopped bleading both legs down into my feet were filled with blood under the skin. it took two months for the discoloration to go away.

preparing for another meet i decided to drop about 20lbs to get into a lower weight class. i decided to do a small local meet to see were my lifters were. i was apparently way more dehydrated than i thought i was. i guess i should have known because my entire lower body was cramping on my bench warmups. this was a raw push/pull comp. i opened with 485 on bench. went up easy. my second attempt was 515. on the way down my left pec tore…again, it sounded like a t-shirt ripping. it immidiately dropped but luckily the spotters caught it. after that attempt a guy that was standing in the back said he heard it rip from way back there. being hard headed i figured i could still deadlift. i warmed up with as few sets as i could. i opened with 640. i had a hard time holding onto the bar on the side of the pec tear but i got it with plenty in the tank. went to 675 for my second. as i broke it off the floor my obliques on the opposite side started to tear apparently from over compensating for the other side. i stuck with it hoping to lock it out before it completly tore… i didn’t make it and the oblique completely tore.

i was doing floor press in our squat rack that has a base elevated about 5 inches off the floor. i was doing a reps set with 455. i set the hooks so that after the set was done i could throw the bar back into the hooks. unfortunately as i was doing the set i was sliding back closer and closer to the hooks. as i finished i went to throw the bar back into the hooks but they were right above my head. i hit the hooks way early and the bar flew out of my hands and then dropped straight in the middle of my chest. it happened so fast that my training partners could only lift the bar off my chest once it stopped bouncing off me. i remember laying there thinking i’ve really fucked myself up. i imagined that i had broken my sternum and probaly did a bunch of internal damage. after laying there for awhile i went to get up and suprisingly didn’t feel too bad. i could feel one rib that was definitely broken but that was it at the moment. i actually finished my training and went home. that night i spit up some blood and continued to for a few days. my dumbass of course didn’t go to the doctor. the rib took a pretty long time to heal.

at one meet the judges were calling depth really low on squats. i had already gotten one red light on my opener so i figured i needed to get lower on my second. unfortunately i had my lever belt on a little high on my waste. as i hit the bottom with 650 i felt my belt crush the floating rib on my left side. the pain almost made me throw up in the hole. somehow i was able to finish the lift and got three whites.

i tore the other pec not doing enough warmup sets one time. i went from 225 to 495 like an idiot.

moral of the story… i WAS a dumbass for most of them and most were my fault. i would like to think i’m smarter now and haven’t had any serious injuries in a couple years. through some act of God i have fully recovered from all of them except for some tightness in the adductor at times.
[/quote]

great, now everytime i hear a rip, im gonna be grabbin my tit
lol cool story

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Many old people in my area have worse injuries than most elite powerlifters, spine, knee and shoulder wise without ever having done much physical work in their lives (much less lifted any weights).

and among many of my 20-something friends, wtf is up with that?

[/quote]