Powerlifting in College

Hey all,
School started for me on monday and I am extrememly busy. 16 credit hours, 2 sports and a lot of studying leads to little time for working out. I am currently on Waterbury’s TBT, but I dont know if I’m getting the results I want. I feel like I am losing size and strength.

I want to do a powerlifting meet next summer and I would like to know which workouts you recommend for powerlifting. If not an actual planned workout, I was thinking of something like this.

Day 1
Heavy bench 8x3 120 s rest
Skull crushers 3x8 90 s rest
Rack lockouts 3x5 120 s rest
Lat Pulldowns 3x10

Day 2
Deadlift 5x5 120 s rest
Drag Curls 3x8 ss w/ hammer curls 3x8 90 s rest
Bent Over Rows 4x6 120 s rest
OH shrugs, partial shrugs, DB or BB shrugs 3x12 90 s rest

Day 3
Squat 5x5 120 s rest
Quad ext 3x8 90 s rest
Split Squats 3x8 120 s rest
Calf Raises 3x12 90 s rest
another???
Front Squat 2x15

So heres the thing really: I want to get a lot stronger with as little workouts in as little time as possible. Im 6’2" 215 lbs at about 12% bf. On my bench, my lockout is BY FAR the weak point, exersises to increase tricep strength would be appreciated.

Overall my squat is lowest. I bench 295, deadlift 440 and squat around 330 to parallel. Focus point would be squatting since I want that to come up the most. Thanks for your time.

I think your best advice is to seek lifters that are close to you. Detroit Barbell is out there and Matt K is in Michigan as well.

Your doing too many reps for bench, I didn’t look at your minor things just the main 3 dl squat and bench. Where is the shoulder work also? Do some military presses heavy, it has helped with my lockout. Your doing too many reps on a lot of exercies, for stregth focus on lifting HEAVY weight. Just make sure your eating enough also thats main thing.

Also try to throw in some Olympic lifting, I recently added that about month ago and the explosiveness I’ve gotten from it has helped me lift heavier.

Edit: idiot about bench read it as 3x8 body building style.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
I think your best advice is to seek lifters that are close to you. Detroit Barbell is out there and Matt K is in Michigan as well.[/quote]

I would do that, but detroit is about 2 hours away from me. Where is Matt K located?

[quote]shizen wrote:
Your doing too many reps for bench, I didn’t look at your minor things just the main 3 dl squat and bench. Where is the shoulder work also? Do some military presses heavy, it has helped with my lockout. Your doing too many reps on a lot of exercies, for stregth focus on lifting HEAVY weight. Just make sure your eating enough also thats main thing.

Also try to throw in some Olympic lifting, I recently added that about month ago and the explosiveness I’ve gotten from it has helped me lift heavier. [/quote]

Would it be ok to throw shoulder work in on my squat day? Also, would like one olympic lift per day be ok? Maybe power clean day 1, one arm snatch day 2, and whats another good one? I am clueless also on how many reps to do with the oly lifts. 4-6??

[quote]golferguy12 wrote:
shizen wrote:

Also try to throw in some Olympic lifting, I recently added that about month ago and the explosiveness I’ve gotten from it has helped me lift heavier.

Would it be ok to throw shoulder work in on my squat day? Also, would like one olympic lift per day be ok? Maybe power clean day 1, one arm snatch day 2, and whats another good one? I am clueless also on how many reps to do with the oly lifts. 4-6??

[/quote]

Yeah first I read your sets on bench wrong hah. For shoulder press I do it on chest day also, because bench works out shoulder more for me then triceps-which I work in on back day.- 4-6 seems fine for the oly lifts, I’m still new to oly lifts but I’m doing them on my leg day-both snatch and C-J-

How about this:

Day 1
Heavy bench 5x5 120 s rest
Rack lockouts 3x5 120 s rest
Lat Pulldowns 3x10 90 s rest
Military Press 3x6-8 120 s rest

Day 2
Deadlift 5x5 120 s rest
Power Clean 4x6 120 s rest

Day 3
Squat 5x5 120 s rest
Quad ext 3x8 90 s rest
Split Squats 3x8 120 s rest
OH Tri Extension 3x8 90 s rest
One Arm Snatch 4x6 120 s rest

I feel im still lacking shoulder wise.

[quote]golferguy12 wrote:
mattwray wrote:
I think your best advice is to seek lifters that are close to you. Detroit Barbell is out there and Matt K is in Michigan as well.

I would do that, but detroit is about 2 hours away from me. Where is Matt K located?
[/quote]

I’m not sure where he’s at, post up on EliteFTS and ask…

Here are a bunch of powerlifting gyms in Michigan from powerliftwatch

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

Well that doesn’t list the gyms for some reason,

Beckwith’s Gym Grand Rapids MI
Detroit Barbell Brownstown MI
Fitness Unlimited Royal Oak MI
Howell Fitness Center Howell MI
Iron City Fitness Center Pontiac MI
Midland Community Center Midland MI
Powerhouse Gym Flint MI
Smitty’s Iron Works Midland MI
Strength Beyond Fitness Kalamazoo MI
Viking Fitness Porth Huron MI

I would probably put Bench as the second day. This will give you more time for your lower body to recover.

Then bench and the lockouts will give you a lot of shoulder work. If anything, I would probably add some side or front raises. If you still want to do overheads then I would rotate them with lockouts every other week.

I would also consider rotating the deads and power cleans. They are a similar movements and both are very taxing on the body.

You need more hamstring work.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
I would probably put Bench as the second day. This will give you more time for your lower body to recover.

Then bench and the lockouts will give you a lot of shoulder work. If anything, I would probably add some side or front raises. If you still want to do overheads then I would rotate them with lockouts every other week.

I would also consider rotating the deads and power cleans. They are a similar movements and both are very taxing on the body.

You need more hamstring work. [/quote]

how does this look. I moved the power clean around, added some hamstrings and also put somoe shoulder raises in there

Day 1
Heavy bench 5x5 120 s rest
Rack lockouts 3x5 120 s rest EOW
Lat Pulldowns 3x10 90 s rest
Military Press 3x6-8 120 s rest EOW
Front Plate Raise 3x10 90 s rest

Day 2
Deadlift 5x5 120 s rest
Romanian Deadlift 3x8 120 s rest (Every other week)
Hamstring Curls 3x8 90 s rest (every other week)

Day 3
Squat 5x5 120 s rest
Quad ext 3x8 90 s rest
Power Clean 4x6 120 s rest
OH Tri Extension 3x8 90 s rest
One Arm Snatch 4x6 120 s rest