T Nation

Powerlifting Extras Besides Training


#1

Hi guys,

I have been powerlifting for a while now, and I was wondering if there are other things that I can do outside the gym that will help/improve my training? I already have the basics like proper nutrition and sleep nailed down, and I have started doing a bit of mobility work to fend off injuries, so I am basically wondering if there is anything else I could be doing that would help me?

Thanks!


#2

Keeping stress levels down will help. How is your current progress?


#3

I get massages every month or so. Find a good therapist who works with athletes and they can make you feel like a new person. Whether this has made me a stronger lifter, I cannot say. They definitely make me a more comfortable lifter.

Good therapists aren’t cheap, however.


#4

Something other than PL that can let you take a mental break. For me its reading or binge watching TV series I like.


#5

Contrast showers and just plain cold showers. Ice baths. Epsom salt baths. “A bit of mobility” will only take you so far. Really start researching that kind of stuff. It’s better to learn about mobility before something happens then to get hurt and only learn about then because by that point you might end up with a nagging joint for life or worse or at least something that’ll take you out for a couple weeks. Also meditation and relaxation techniques. PL can be pretty intense and it’s nice to have something to take you back down to base level.

That’s all I got for now. If I think of more I post it here.


#6

Icing your back and using a theracane can help. Ben Rice made a recovery video talking about this so find it on Youtube if you’re interested.


#7

foam roller/pvc and lacrosse ball release is something i do every night


#8

An exercise which you could “…do outside the gym that will help/improve (your) training”:

Look at all the older people.

Pick one out and decide whether you, at your current age could kick that geezer/geezette’s ass and take his/her bingo money.

Vow to kill in the gym forever such that you may remain strong and look strong such that when you get old, no one like the former you will even think of kicking your ass and taking your bingo money.

(advice from a 57 year old)


#9

[quote]emskee wrote:
An exercise which you could “…do outside the gym that will help/improve (your) training”:

Look at all the older people.

Pick one out and decide whether you, at your current age could kick that geezer/geezette’s ass and take his/her bingo money.

Vow to kill in the gym forever such that you may remain strong and look strong such that when you get old, no one like the former you will even think of kicking your ass and taking your bingo money.

(advice from a 57 year old)[/quote]

LOL


#10

I think watching comedies/laughing after a heavy session really helps neural recovery


#11

If this isnt already part of your nutrition, hydration is HUGE for recovery

Personal things include copenhagen (straight) <- don’t underestimate the power of nicotine, body tempering (donnie thompson)/ foam rolling, and a nice beer helps take the edge off of a good training day


#12

[quote]Alpha wrote:
foam roller/pvc and lacrosse ball release is something i do every night[/quote]

This time a million.
Myofascial release is like my number 1.

My number two would be to train your parasympathetic nervous system. Many people are either not aware or ignore the benefits of this.
This is the slow, focus, calm, relax, rest part of your nervous system. You spend your days beating your nervous system to shit with your max effort lifts, so you must balance it out.

Sleeping is not enough you must train it as well with activities like, walking, breathing, yoga, meditation, etc. Any kind of slow focused activity.

My recommendation would be to walk a lot more and tai-chi. It has had an impact on my recovery and the amount of shit days I have.


#13

The best thing that I’ve done for myself, outside of the gym, is get a dog and go out to all of the local trails. Low level activity, and absolutely wonderful for my mental state. I don’t mean to come across as a dirty hippie, but getting ‘in touch with nature’ was something that was very much missing from my life, and has had a very positive effect.


#14

For me it was walking.

When I was still in university, I walked for at least 2 hours pretty much everyday because I was too broke to afford bus passes. I didn’t realise how much it helped with recovery, keeping fat level down, work capacity up, and stress level way down until I started working and finally able to afford a car.


#15

[quote]Mizery wrote:
For me it was walking.

When I was still in university, I walked for at least 2 hours pretty much everyday because I was too broke to afford bus passes. I didn’t realise how much it helped with recovery, keeping fat level down, work capacity up, and stress level way down until I started working and finally able to afford a car. [/quote]

So true, just 20 minutes a day will go a long way.


#16

I second walking. My wife and I put our two children in strollers (2 & 5), and go for an hour walk every night after work and dinner. Does wonders for body comp, mind, and encourages a restful sleep.

Music

Relaxation. As much as possible. Put all electronics down and relax by yourself.


#17

Sip moonshine and puff a ceegar while watching deer feed in the back yard. Relaxes me pretty good. Don’t inhale the ceegar smoke though.


#18

Band pull aparts and foam rolling daily. Keep your muscles happy


#19

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I get massages every month or so. Find a good therapist who works with athletes and they can make you feel like a new person. Whether this has made me a stronger lifter, I cannot say. They definitely make me a more comfortable lifter.

Good therapists aren’t cheap, however.[/quote]

Which type of massage do you get? My wife is having a cellulite and doctor suggested her to loose some weight in order to reduce the fat and also do regular massage for the skin and if possible rolling massage. So, for this purpose she is finding for the therapist.