Powerlifting Documentary

Saw this on another board - thought I’d leave this here in case anybody is interested.

Edit: Also, if anybody knows anything similar - please leave suggestions for people that love watching shit like this. Thanks.

I saw this recently. Awesome docu. I’m in for other recommendations for sure.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Saw this on another board - thought I’d leave this here in case anybody is interested.

Edit: Also, if anybody knows anything similar - please leave suggestions for people that love watching shit like this. Thanks.[/quote]

inspiring but kirk is a fucking bully using his size to intimidate people lmao

[quote]xanatomyxchartx wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:

Edit: Also, if anybody knows anything similar - please leave suggestions for people that love watching shit like this. Thanks.[/quote]

inspiring but kirk is a fucking bully using his size to intimidate people lmao [/quote]

I doubt it was his size that intimidated people, but his pure fucking craziness.

I could watch this movie over and over again. It never gets old.

CS

Cliff notes? Trying to figure out if I want to devote 1 hour 42 minutes of my life to it

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Cliff notes? Trying to figure out if I want to devote 1 hour 42 minutes of my life to it[/quote]

Lol, x2.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Cliff notes? Trying to figure out if I want to devote 1 hour 42 minutes of my life to it[/quote]
They talk a whole lot about powerlifting.

Stop thinking and just watch it - I bought it a year ago and have seen it a bunch oftimes - talks about the history of the sport and starts from the late 60s - early 70s all the way to our days. Tons of interviews with the greats from different eras - man and women alike.

ONly thing that bugged me was that they devoted a bit too much time on “bench only” vs “full power” powerlifters … as if there is some grudge between them. JUdging from where things have gone over the last 5 years since the movie came out, they need to make an updated version with “equipped” vs “raw” debate haha!

many LOLs were had especially from Ed and Kirk

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
I saw this recently. Awesome docu. I’m in for other recommendations for sure. [/quote]

All that I’ve found in my searches other than this is:

Bigger, Stronger, Faster (awesome)
Strong: The Movie (Joe Defranco training film)
Ma Bar: Short Film about an old man lifting (I didn’t really like it)
Iron/Chalk: 15min Orlando Barbell documentary

I find the best source of ‘documentary style’ learning is from Super Training’s training videos with commentary. Mark Bell always talks about cool stuff in those.
Piles of interviews on youtube with various people too

Hope this helps, sadly there aren’t too many powerlifting resources.

[quote]Power Tower wrote:
I find the best source of ‘documentary style’ learning is from Super Training’s training videos with commentary. Mark Bell always talks about cool stuff in those.[/quote]

x2. Anything from SuperTraining.tv and the Power Project (Mark Bell answers a ton of Q&As, tons of good info, and tons of lols)

Also, there are some really good podcasts on IronRadio.org. I always listen to one or a few if I’m making a road trip. There are some with Mark Bell, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate and many others with great info.

^ Cool stuff. Bigger, Stronger, Faster is one of my all-time favourite docu’s & Strong is great, watched that quite a few times as well. I’ll check out some of the mentioned. I enjoyed Andy Boltons ‘The Phase that Launched 1000lb’ too… I guess there is more “run up to meet” videos about then actual documentaries (I remember a good one about ‘the road to the arnold’.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
I saw this recently. Awesome docu. I’m in for other recommendations for sure. [/quote]

I find the best source of ‘documentary style’ learning is from Super Training’s training videos with commentary. Mark Bell always talks about cool stuff in those.

Hope this helps, sadly there aren’t too many powerlifting resources.[/quote]

Good list is above. I would add in:
Pumping Iron (most reading this have likely seen that already, if not watch immediately)
Blood and Guts - Dorian’s training video, not a powerlifter but still super bad assed
Ronnie Coleman: Unbelievable - again not a PLer but still really cool
There are youtube vids of the 70’s/early 80’s PL world championships that were on TV which are pretty awesome, kind of like World’s Strongest Man on ESPN but for PL

They also recently came out with a movie called “All she can” about a female powerlifter but I thought it was pretty shitty (and I love almost anything lifting related)

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

I find the best source of ‘documentary style’ learning is from Super Training’s training videos with commentary. Mark Bell always talks about cool stuff in those.[/quote]

x2. Anything from SuperTraining.tv and the Power Project (Mark Bell answers a ton of Q&As, tons of good info, and tons of lols)

Also, there are some really good podcasts on IronRadio.org. I always listen to one or a few if I’m making a road trip. There are some with Mark Bell, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate and many others with great info.[/quote]

Thanks for the props for SuperTraining.TV. Mark and I put a lot of effort into producing new content every day for free. It’s just a logical extension of having been produced our own DVDs and having been involved in Bigger Stronger Faster and Power Unlimited.

[quote]JimMcD wrote:

Also, there are some really good podcasts on IronRadio.org. I always listen to one or a few if I’m making a road trip. There are some with Mark Bell, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate and many others with great info.[/quote]

Thanks for the props for SuperTraining.TV. Mark and I put a lot of effort into producing new content every day for free. It’s just a logical extension of having been produced our own DVDs and having been involved in Bigger Stronger Faster and Power Unlimited. [/quote]

Have you guys ever considered making a SuperTraining Gym documentary? That’d be fucking sweet.

CS

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

Hope this helps, sadly there aren’t too many powerlifting resources.[/quote]

Good list is above. I would add in:
Pumping Iron (most reading this have likely seen that already, if not watch immediately)
Blood and Guts - Dorian’s training video, not a powerlifter but still super bad assed
Ronnie Coleman: Unbelievable - again not a PLer but still really cool
There are youtube vids of the 70’s/early 80’s PL world championships that were on TV which are pretty awesome, kind of like World’s Strongest Man on ESPN but for PL

They also recently came out with a movie called “All she can” about a female powerlifter but I thought it was pretty shitty (and I love almost anything lifting related)
[/quote]
There’s also World’s Strongest Man: 30 Years of Pain

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]JimMcD wrote:

Thanks for the props for SuperTraining.TV. Mark and I put a lot of effort into producing new content every day for free. It’s just a logical extension of having been produced our own DVDs and having been involved in Bigger Stronger Faster and Power Unlimited. [/quote]

Have you guys ever considered making a SuperTraining Gym documentary? That’d be fucking sweet.

CS[/quote]
x2

[quote]JimMcD wrote:

CS[/quote]

Not a documentary, but we worked with producers on pitching a reality show a couple years ago. It got pretty far along but ultimately didn’t happen. We’re not really pursuing it anymore right now. You can watch what they put together and read about what happened here: http://supertraining.tv/2012/05/whats-up-with-a-super-training-reality-show/

Thanks for bring it up. Helped me get motivated to finish the write up and actually get the video posted.

[quote]JimMcD wrote:

[quote]JimMcD wrote:

CS[/quote]

Not a documentary, but we worked with producers on pitching a reality show a couple years ago. It got pretty far along but ultimately didn’t happen. We’re not really pursuing it anymore right now. You can watch what they put together and read about what happened here: http://supertraining.tv/2012/05/whats-up-with-a-super-training-reality-show/

Thanks for bring it up. Helped me get motivated to finish the write up and actually get the video posted. [/quote]

A reality show would have been awesome. A documentary would be pretty sweet, too. If you guys released some sort of documentary following Mark up to a powerlifting meet I would definitely buy it.