Powerlifting Competition

There’s going to be a push/pull competition at my girlfriend’s gym and I was considering doing it.

I was hoping to get some tips or suggestions from some of you though.

First off, I would like to take first and win it…not sure if I will be able to do it though.

My stats:

Bench: 255
Dead: 365
Weight: 189
BF: ~15?

I would like to get in the 165 weight class, which I would have to get down to 180 or lower, which shouldn’t be too much of a problem since I’ve been eating less than good since I started working full-time. I’ll just have to work on that.

To do good in the class, I believe I’ll have to have a lower-mid 300 bench, and mid 400 dead. It’s not until July I believe, so I do have some time to improve…but that much of an improvement I think might be out of reach.

Supps I have at my use:
Anything by Biotest (what i dont’ have i could buy)and some old biotest stuff:
MD6
T2Pro
3x 4-AD-EC

Just lookin for some workout tips, dieting tips, powerlifting competing tips, supp tips, etc.

Thanks for any help you give.

First, what federation would you be competing in? Do you plan on using any gear?

Second, to lift in the 165 class you have to weight 165 or less. Do you currently have enough body fat to drop that much? If you do drop, your lifts might also decrease – but that is your choice to make. I would keep the weight, maybe try to drop bodyfat while increasing lean mass.

Do you have someone in the gym who is a judge that can help you with the techinical stuff? Give you commands for practice and let you know any errors that you might be making to have a clean lift?

There are many articles here on T-Nation that cover dead’s and benching – with programs attached. Maybe let us know what you are currently doing for training and we can tweak it for you.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
First, what federation would you be competing in? Do you plan on using any gear?[/quote]

-USAPL, belt for sure, maybe wrist wraps if I buy them, no shirts or anything.

-I thought with the weight classes, it was 165,181,198, and 165 was 165-181, 181 is 181-198 and so on? Thats what someone told me…no I could drop to under 181, not under 165 though…I might need to re-think this now…

[quote]Do you have someone in the gym who is a judge that can help you with the techinical stuff? Give you commands for practice and let you know any errors that you might be making to have a clean lift?

There are many articles here on T-Nation that cover dead’s and benching – with programs attached. Maybe let us know what you are currently doing for training and we can tweak it for you.
[/quote]

-I’m pretty good with form, and I would get someone to practice with before it. Right now I’m doing compound exercises, couple of 5x3…some of 4x6…I can post the whole thing if you would like.

Thanks.

The weight classes are exact numbers. If you weigh over 165, you will be in the 181 weight class. If you weigh over 181, you are in 198. So if you intend to go 181 (which is a good spot to be), you should get down to like 178 or so (week of the meet) to give yourself room.

If you are not going to use a shirt or suit, I don’t see you increasing your numbers that much by July.

It sounds like this is your first meet. You would be much better off going to the meet, competing, and chalking the whole thing up to a learning experience. Lifting in a meet environment is much harder than in the gym. Not to mention, most gym lifts (I would say 99% or more) will not pass at a meet, especially not USAPL.

So, not to try to knock the wind out of your sails, but walking into your first meet and winning (if any competition shows up in your weight class) is probably a little far fetched.

For 181 weight class at USAPL, a good lifter will hit around high 300’s low 400’s bench, and mid 400’s to mid 500’s dead. That is just a good lifter, not an elite lifter, btw.

If you have been lifting like a powerlifter for the last year, you won’t make THAT much inprovement. I’d say, if you have been training heavy, and have been practicing powerlifting style form, then in 12 near perfect weeks of training at your level you could add 40 pounds to that bench and 60 to that dead giving you 295 and 425. If you already fell like you are not in a state of rapid improvement, I’d cut those increases in half. Still, I’d set up a 6 week program including work on Form, Speed and Special (lockout/grip) strength. See if you can add 20 to your bench and 30 to your dead in this 6 week period. Find 1-2 weaknesses (triceps and abs for example) and hammer them like crazy.

I am planning on doing my first meet ever in August, and I’m not thinking about winning, just having fun, but who knows, if its a small meet (sounds small), there might be 2-3 guys in your weight class.

Here’s an example of a 6 week program:
(Oh, and by the way, some people need to squat to keep up their dead, others don’t), and realize that my lifts are not much better.

Day 1: Explosive deadlifts-rip em off the floor. If you can just drop them, I’d do so. You can rip up sets of 5 real fast if you don’t have to lower them. Start at 225 and add 20 pounds per set until you get slow on a set. You might get up to 275 for 5 fast ones, then get slow at say 285.

Day 2: Speed benches. Start at 135 for 3 reps and add 5 pounds per set until they get slow focusing on setting up under the bar and arching maximally on every set. Also, try to bring your grip out more and more on some of your sets.

Start your deads 10 pounds higher each week and your benches 5 pounds higher each week. Drop to triples in the dead and doubles in the bench for weeks 4-6

Day 3 and 4: Your 2 main weak points train like crazy. 10 x 6 tricep extensions for example or 10 x 6 goodmornings. Not maximal weight, maybe a 10 rep max.

Day 5: Odd weeks, max set of deads: Week 1: sets of 5, increase by 10 per set up to max. Week 3, sets of 3, Week 5 sets of 2. Even weeks, Lockout deads or max goodmorning. Work up to 5 near max singles.

Day 6: Odd weeks set of bench, increase by 10 pounds per set up to a max of 5, 3 and 2 reps. Even weeks, lockouts or other weak point work up to 5 near max singles.

slatimer- I wondered when he said that about the weight classes, because I did one in high school, and I thought I was in the 165 weight class. I thought it was odd, ~20lbs heavier I would still be in the same weight class. I figured I hadn’t remembered which one I was in before.

And yes, besides that one (where I took second, yay for me) this would be my second one. I would agree that most gym lifts are performed pretty badly…and although I’m sure my form isn’t exactly perfect, I’ve been at it for awhile and they are pretty close.

Yes, I think it’s a little farfetched too…but thought it would be a good goal.

I was at a 405 dead and 285 bench, so I’m sure that will come back fast (like I said, full-time job, had to adjust to my new schedule) but then getting higher than that I’m sure won’t be as fast.

thanks for the program mertdawg, I think I might try that out after a couple more weeks on mine and see how it goes.

I’ll have to see on how the training goes…maybe I’ll just see how strong I can get for summer…leave my goal date the same as for the push/pull meet, and check it out, if not compete.

thanks again for the tips guys.

I think you should definitely compete. Just don’t get yourself hyped up that you are going to walk away with the whole show. Go in to put up some numbers, give yourself something to start with. Who knows, you may win it all.

I just hate to see someone go into a comp with the idea of 1st place is the only good spot to be. Generally, that attitude leads to disappointment.

[quote]DK wrote:
slatimer- I wondered when he said that about the weight classes, because I did one in high school, and I thought I was in the 165 weight class. I thought it was odd, ~20lbs heavier I would still be in the same weight class. I figured I hadn’t remembered which one I was in before.

And yes, besides that one (where I took second, yay for me) this would be my second one. I would agree that most gym lifts are performed pretty badly…and although I’m sure my form isn’t exactly perfect, I’ve been at it for awhile and they are pretty close.

Yes, I think it’s a little farfetched too…but thought it would be a good goal.

I was at a 405 dead and 285 bench, so I’m sure that will come back fast (like I said, full-time job, had to adjust to my new schedule) but then getting higher than that I’m sure won’t be as fast.

thanks for the program mertdawg, I think I might try that out after a couple more weeks on mine and see how it goes.

I’ll have to see on how the training goes…maybe I’ll just see how strong I can get for summer…leave my goal date the same as for the push/pull meet, and check it out, if not compete.

thanks again for the tips guys.[/quote]

Ok you are in the 198ers as you stand right now lose at least 9 pounds or so and you will be a 181er. Thats where I compete right now. I’m not sure what the calibur of competition is where you are at. Are you allowed to use bench shirts and deadlift suits? Just a gauge I just did 352 bench and 496 dead last month and I have alot of room for improvment

Dk talked about not using a shirt or suit. If this is the case and he is lifting in a USAPL meet, then he’ll be at a big disadvantage. The other competitors will be wearing gear. Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight.

I know they’re not the greatest fed, but check out Sonlight Powerlifting. Its a great way to get your feet wet into powerlifting competitions and Dr. Latch is a pretty good guy. It’s not as “formal” (if you can say that) as most of the other feds and guys are there to lift and have fun. I’ve done a couple just for shit and giggles.