Powerlifting Comp 16 Days Out

Doing my first comp in 16 days now and have some questions because I feel as if I have overdone it a tad - feeling very drained at the moment.

I haven’t followed a particular program so if this looks all over the place it’s because I am still very new to this but here’s what I have done in regard to best lifts each week.

Squat / bench / sumo deadlift
Wk 1 - 130x5 / 42.5 (DB floor press) / (none)
Wk 2 - 140x5 / 100x1 (missed 105) / 152.5x10x1
Wk 3 - 150x3, 155x3 (very hard) / 100x1 (missed 105) / 170x1 (PR), missed 180 twice
Wk 4 - 160x1 (equal PR), missed 170 twice

My schedule for the last 5 weeks has been:
Tuesday - Speed work for bench & squat
Friday - Squat + OH squat, bulgarian split squats
Saturday - Bench + OH press, flat press variation, triceps
Sunday - Deadlift (heavy singles), pullthroughs, upper back

I realize this is not an ideal split but what’s done is done.

I would really appreciate advise into how I should plan out my next 16 days of training. My meet is on the 23rd of November. I guess I am worried at the moment because I feel I have drained my CNS a bit by going too heavy and not backing off.

Thank you.

A week out I would hit my openers in the gym and then shut it down until the meet to give your body some time to recover. That’s what i do and it worked well for me.

[quote]calebcaleb wrote:
Doing my first comp in 16 days now and have some questions because I feel as if I have overdone it a tad - feeling very drained at the moment.

I haven’t followed a particular program so if this looks all over the place it’s because I am still very new to this but here’s what I have done in regard to best lifts each week.

Wk 3 - 150x3, 155x3 (very hard) / 100x1 (missed 105) / 170x1 (PR), missed 180 twice

I would really appreciate advise into how I should plan out my next 16 days of training. My meet is on the 23rd of November. I guess I am worried at the moment because I feel I have drained my CNS a bit by going too heavy and not backing off.

Thank you.
[/quote]

Actually, your’re doing pretty well having done a lot of work at this point 3 weeks before the meet. The next two weeks are for CNS recovery. Now you can taper off the work and determine your opening attempts for the meet. Spread out 3 workouts during the next week (Nov. 9th through Nov. 16) and focus on your opening attempts on each lift. Warm up and don’t go any higher than your opener but still do some LIGHT accessory work. From Nov. 17th to the 23rd, eat, sleep, rest, go for a walk, stretch, and get your supplies together for the meet. Do anything by train.

Have fun, first meets are the most memorable.

David

[quote]drdgmuro wrote:
calebcaleb wrote:

Thank you.

Actually, your’re doing pretty well having done a lot of work at this point 3 weeks before the meet. The next two weeks are for CNS recovery. Now you can taper off the work and determine your opening attempts for the meet.

Spread out 3 workouts during the next week (Nov. 9th through Nov. 16) and focus on your opening attempts on each lift. Warm up and don’t go any higher than your opener but still do some LIGHT accessory work. From Nov. 17th to the 23rd, eat, sleep, rest, go for a walk, stretch, and get your supplies together for the meet. Do anything by train.

Have fun, first meets are the most memorable.

David[/quote]this is totally correct, 5 days out-- be all about rest and cutting your weight(if your doing that). and just visualize your whole day at the meet. have a game plan of your warm ups, fluid/food intake on the day of. fuk i wish i was competing- the funnest thing ever.

Thanks very much guys.

Ideally I would be cutting but this being my first comp and I am just more concerned with the hitting my lifts and getting a decent total.

Appreciate the advise though, will be doing as mentioned.

just out of curiosity where is the comp man

Good luck with the comp. I’m competing in my first meet this Saturday.

I think you missed too many lifts so close to a comp, but I wouldn’t worry about it at this stage.

At least you don’t have to cut. I’m loving the cutting at one level, but now I’m starting to get a little anxious about it now.

@ bams101 - are you in Sydney? It’s in North Sydney

@ dragncarry - I agree, it’s really not ideal to have missed lifts like that. Regardless I am optimistic about setting a PR or two. Good luck in yours mate.

Melb man, you wouldnt know any good PL gyms in vic would ya?

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
Melb man, you wouldnt know any good PL gyms in vic would ya?[/quote]

www.southernpowerliftingclub.com

or Doherty’s.