Powerlifting Belts

Alright so a long time ago I purchased a 13mm power belt from Elitefts
I never really liked it and don’t really use it lol.
It’s because this belt is STIFF as hell, i thought the belt was supposed to conform around my body, but it doesn’t. There’s just a gap between my back and the belt and I just don’t like it at all.

Now my friend had a belt that was very flexible. And fit perfectly around any waist and shapes to the body. It was still big and single prong.
Now was his belt just a 10mm? cause I can’t remember.
If ANYONE could direct me to a belt where it’ll be flexible and conform to my body (obviosuly over a period of time) that would be fantastic! cause the other one in my opinion is shit lol Thanks.

How do you use the belt? Do you strap in on tight or do you carry it more loosely so you can blow up your belly?

yea elitefts belt is probably for blowing up your belly…

i like this one-

http://www.liftinglarge.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=159

but it’s not exactly flexible either

Belts need to be broken in. That said, you probably need a 10mm one if you feel so strongly about it.

Breaking in my 10 mm was a piece of cake compared to my 13 mm.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Breaking in my 10 mm was a piece of cake compared to my 13 mm.[/quote]

+1

13mm is total overkill imo.

I’ve had 600 on my back without a problem in a 10mm and I’m full confident it’ll handle 700 this year just as easily.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Breaking in my 10 mm was a piece of cake compared to my 13 mm.[/quote]

+2

My 10mm belt was nicely molded in a couple of months, where my 13mm took more than a year.

I really like my 13mm belt. The only problem I have is if I get it set too low and it digs into my hips when squatting. Wind up with some pretty nasty bruises.

I agree with everyone else. I’ve used 13mm’s before and hated them. I have a 10mm double prong and it’s great. Call these guys to see what they have in stock:
http://proflexsports.com/page/P/PROD/wb/116
The current belt they have won’t match the picture, but will be the same price.

Mine is 10mm, with 8 rows of stitching. It’s really a quality belt. Everything else looks like the picture.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Alright so a long time ago I purchased a 13mm power belt from Elitefts
I never really liked it and don’t really use it lol.
It’s because this belt is STIFF as hell, i thought the belt was supposed to conform around my body, but it doesn’t. There’s just a gap between my back and the belt and I just don’t like it at all.

Now my friend had a belt that was very flexible. And fit perfectly around any waist and shapes to the body. It was still big and single prong.
Now was his belt just a 10mm? cause I can’t remember.
If ANYONE could direct me to a belt where it’ll be flexible and conform to my body (obviosuly over a period of time) that would be fantastic! cause the other one in my opinion is shit lol Thanks.[/quote]

1. you have to break it in. A LOT.

2. you should be pulling your belt tight enough that your body conforms to it to a degree. It kind of sounds like you either arent pulling it tight enough or you are expecting it to contact the body in places that NO belt is going to (ie, between the spinal erectors). I dont see why thats even relevant. The belt is there for you to push your abs out against. Even an unbroken in, brand new 13mm will let you do that. It will be a pain in the ass, but it will work. If are having trouble bracing up against the belt and its sliding around, then its not tight enough.

3. Im sure valeo makes a belt that you can pick up at your local walmart that will “conform to your body”. It wont do shit for your lifts, but hey, thats not what were talking about here, right?

How much are you squatting? Unless it’s well over 500 lbs, I don’t see the need for that much belt. The 10mm belt will work fine. I have a 10mm lever belt from Inzer which is awesome for squatting. I also have a 10mm buckle belt from elite which I prefer for pulling…it is newer and not broken in all the way yet, but it still does the job.

You just got more belt than you need. Hopefully you can return it and get something more useful.

Also, I don’t think I would expect the belt to really “conform” to your body. It will get broken in, but you want it to be stiff. If the thing starts folding over, you’ve bought a piece of shit and it’s time for a new belt.

Yes the 13mm let’s me push my abs out, but theres a gap between my back and the belt. I don’t want it between the spinal erectors lol. I want a belt that goes nicely around my waist and from what I’ve read it’s the 10mm that I should go with. I also do get bruises from the 13mm. Like I said I used to use my friends 10mm and it conforms around the body nicely where this one (13mm) just so rigid and stiff, and doesn’t conform at all!

Now the 10mm is still stiff, but it’s hard to explain I’m sure those who have the 10mm broken in know what I mean. And with the 13mm there’s quite the gap between my back and the belt and I can’t get it any tighter. I did 405x12 squat with it and thought I was gonna pass out because I was breathing so hard, the belt was so tight and I couldn’t get it off.

I’m 202 right now looking to squat 525. If I decide to keep bulking to 215-220 I’m looking for a 550+ squat, raw of course.
Before I turn 20. I do all my squats raw no belt, it’s only if I’m going for a max I’ll use a belt, even then I’ve maxed out with no belt also. I train muay thai, but I thought it’d be neat to do a powerlifting comp. (no suits though) and just to test myself on the platform. I think it’d be fun.
I want to do all this while I’m still 19

[quote]rasturai wrote:

I’m 202 right now looking to squat 525. If I decide to keep bulking to 215-220 I’m looking for a 550+ squat, raw of course.
Before I turn 20. I do all my squats raw no belt, it’s only if I’m going for a max I’ll use a belt, even then I’ve maxed out with no belt also. I train muay thai, but I thought it’d be neat to do a powerlifting comp. (no suits though) and just to test myself on the platform. I think it’d be fun.
I want to do all this while I’m still 19[/quote]

Goals are great. I can appreciate that you want to test yourself in few different arenas and that at 19 you’re a bit impatient to do so. I have been 19 myself. I’ve also been 35 and will soon be 40. You have plenty of time. Relax, buy yourself a suitable belt, and take the time to break it in properly. Your body with thank you for it later… in more ways than one.

Good luck with your goals.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Yes the 13mm let’s me push my abs out, but theres a gap between my back and the belt. I don’t want it between the spinal erectors lol. I want a belt that goes nicely around my waist and from what I’ve read it’s the 10mm that I should go with.

I also do get bruises from the 13mm. Like I said I used to use my friends 10mm and it conforms around the body nicely where this one (13mm) just so rigid and stiff, and doesn’t conform at all!

Now the 10mm is still stiff, but it’s hard to explain I’m sure those who have the 10mm broken in know what I mean. And with the 13mm there’s quite the gap between my back and the belt and I can’t get it any tighter. I did 405x12 squat with it and thought I was gonna pass out because I was breathing so hard, the belt was so tight and I couldn’t get it off.

I want to do all this while I’m still 19[/quote]

If you can do 405 X 12 I would think you’d be approaching more in the neighborhood of a 600 max.

really eh? 600 max. I don’t max test often because of muay thai training. My hip flexors get so tired sometimes from all the kicking, I like to put in 500 kicks minimum each week on both legs, so it takes it’s toll. But my left head high kick, mid kick, low kick, switch kick has come such a long way, perfect practice makes perfect!

Anyways thanks nordikelt, it’s true I always feel rushed with this stuff, but I wake up everyday thinking im gonna die so i gotta do my best each day haha. Ya it sounds weird, but it gives me an edge.

[quote]rasturai wrote:

Anyways thanks nordikelt, it’s true I always feel rushed with this stuff, but I wake up everyday thinking im gonna die so i gotta do my best each day haha. Ya it sounds weird, but it gives me an edge.[/quote]

Yeah… I was convinced for a very long time that I’d be dead by 25. And, living as hard and fast as I did, I probably should have been. Then one morning I woke up and I was 26 and I decided to pace myself.

Now I’m nearly 40, I’m in the gym at least once a day, I’m stronger than I was 20 years ago and I know a lot more about conditioning, training, fighting, and living. Pace yourself, you can’t train dead.

I agree with the other posters who said you have to break your belt in. Basically you need to roll it and fold it over and over and over and over and over and over. Or hit it with a bat. That’s how you break in a lot of tough leather items on the farm–hit it with something heavy, repeatedly. Not that I’m a farm boy, but some of my relatives and friends are ;).

Seriously. Hit it with something, lol. In all seriousness, it takes a concerted effort to break the belt in. I actually like my belt on the stiff side, so I haven’t bothered as much, but you can definitely make it conform well.

Now go smoke your goal.

WHen I put on my belt I do a stomache vacuum and put it on, and it fits perfectly. I used a 13mm belt on my last box squat squat session for the first time and I blew my last pr by 40 pounds and I used a shitty thin leather BFS belt for the previous week.

your belt matters, use the best available.

I’ve squatted 550 @ 190 using a 10mm inzer lever belt. I don’t really think it matters how much weight you’re using, 10mm will be fine. The break in very quickly. 13mm is overrated imo.

Can anyone here seriously break a 10mm belt while lifting?

Btw, that’s an awesome squat, 525@202 raw. You’re a beast.