Powerlifting Beginner's Info?

Why isnt there a powerlifting sticky for beginners? The beginners forum is all well and good for beginner body builders and sportsmen, but there should be a sticky concerning the basic training program ideas of powerlifting.

For example, I havnt seen before, nor do I understand the significance of Thib’s Pendulum for Powerlifters phase two where your hold for 6,5,4,3,2,1 seconds at the bottom of each rep. My friend got significant strength gains from doing this, but why isnt there more hype about it? I’m sure there are more programs like this which a “bodybuilder” wouldnt know about. What are they?

Having finished the basics of lifting, where does one go if not wanting to be a bodybuilder? 2x2, 3x3? and what about change? you cant just keep doing low rep techniques without cycling, I presume?

There is so much information on this site about bodybuilding, so now that strength sports has it’s own forum I would expect something that covers the things people need to know if they aren’t in contact with a Powerlifting Club and want to simply do it at home.
I for one am from Australia, where powerlifting is smothered and pushed out of sight, and treated like it isnt a real sport! I’d like someone to make an intro sticky and maybe a compilation of helpful sources for a non-club T-Nation reader. In advance, thanks for your help!

Nade

Edit: I’m sure alot of people would also like some insight into strongman training too

Agreed, I find the search function a bit difficult to use on this forum sometimes (used to a different setup) so a heap of links to various articles, calculators and resources would be good.

Maybe if everyone was to throw in some links and a bit of info someone could put it together (essentially anyone but me :smiley: )

#1 - http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459273

#3 - http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459551

I’ve never heard of these but thanks for pointing them out. If I find the second one then I’ll post the link.

I would really appreciate something like this.

And I wish T-Nation would write more powerlifting articles. For example, discussing technique when using equipment, preparing for meets, what to expect if you are a beginner, watering out, etc etc, as opposed to the way they keep pumping out yet ANOTHER training routine. And if there are such articles, I haven’t been able to effectively search for them and I haven’t run across them.

good article, primer for westside/conjugated periodization

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_133per

powerlifting still is not as popular but to me the beginning basic training for powerlifting and bodybuilding should be very similar proper technique focus on bench press, squat and deadlift and soem assistance exercises and keep reps 6-10 occasionally 3-5.

If you have any powelifting related questions ask them here and the veterans will do their best to answer them.

The Periodization Bible articles by Dave Tate are awesome, you should check out the articles on his site http://www.elitefts.com too, they have a ton of good info for beginners.

[quote]Gael wrote:
I would really appreciate something like this.

And I wish T-Nation would write more powerlifting articles. For example, discussing technique when using equipment, preparing for meets, what to expect if you are a beginner, watering out, etc etc, as opposed to the way they keep pumping out yet ANOTHER training routine. And if there are such articles, I haven’t been able to effectively search for them and I haven’t run across them.[/quote]

Just read EliteFTS.com and don’t forget what T-Nation is supposed to be about. I keep reading runners world hoping for them to pump out rowing articles but they never do :frowning:

T-Nation used to run a lot more powerlifting articles. Read stuff by Date Tate. Eric C. also has some great DLing articles. There are others, but you need to search.

EliteFTS is great if are willing search through the archives. They have articles on everything Gael mentioned in his post.

Other things to research are:

Bill Star 5x5
Riptoe
Sheiko
Westside 4 Skinny Bastards (WS4SB)