Powerlifting and Yoga

A match? Disaster? What do you think?
MWF lifting and some offday yoga 1-3 times.

I think it’s a good idea. I think the best athletes are both powerful and flexible.

I’ve considered starting yoga, my girlfriend seems to enjoy it well enough, and there’s nothing wrong with a dude doing something like that, in case that was ever an issue.

One thing that might scare me off though, is I’ve read in a book or two and also I believe on defrancostraining.com that yoga wouldn’t complement weight training because lengthening and stretching the muscle belly and tendons could actually lead to injury and decreases in strength.

That’s not just like stretching before you lift, but it’s more like a semi-permanment thing. Just something I heard somewhere, though.

Both yoga and pilates postures, .have helped both with recovery, and helping me work around and improve those imbalances.

kmc

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
One thing that might scare me off though, is I’ve read in a book or two and also I believe on defrancostraining.com that yoga wouldn’t complement weight training because lengthening and stretching the muscle belly and tendons could actually lead to injury and decreases in strength.

That’s not just like stretching before you lift, but it’s more like a semi-permanment thing. Just something I heard somewhere, though.[/quote]

I think yoga would probably be helpful. I am not very flexible at all and I am going to start doing some yoga. From what Rippetoe has said about flexibility and powerlifting: you can be too flexible to the point where you lose out on the stretch reflex in the bottom of the squat and bench.

I dont think this really applies to the average person that is just plain not flexible. Im pretty new to Powerlifting and this is just based on what I have been told by Rippetoe.

Amazing. I was just about to post this question. But not with Yoga. Just stretching/flexibility in general. I have read conflicting idealogies and I would love if a tested powerlifter could give me their input. Do you need to stay “Tight”?

Or would added flexibility help out? I can get into the proper positions in all the lifts, but other than that my muscles have rigamortis. . .

I would start out sprinkling it in once a week, 3 times would be too much.

Dan John has recently been raving about bikram(hot) yoga and this sounds like a good idea though i have not personally tried this.

Also its best to start out by trying several different classes as different teachers or small discrepencies in technique can make a big difference.

I’ve taken classes like gentle pilates where it really felt like a total waste of time but my recovery was improved in hindsight, and then i’ve tried out quite tough yoga where the teacher pushed you, come out feeling fantastic and then had bad knee twinges the next day.

Also I would avoid ashtanga/power yoga as this can impact recovery as is a bit like an RE workout.

Carlos

My girlfriend wants me to do ballroom dancing with her this upcoming semester…consider yourself lucky if you get away with yoga.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
My girlfriend wants me to do ballroom dancing with her this upcoming semester…consider yourself lucky if you get away with yoga.[/quote]

That almost happened to me once.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
My girlfriend wants me to do ballroom dancing with her this upcoming semester…consider yourself lucky if you get away with yoga.[/quote]

Go for it dude. I’d rather do that than yoga… chicks dig a guy who can dance. They don’t dig guys that do yoga.

I can say from experience, that my lifts actually have improved since starting yoga a few years ago. I’m able to get in the proper positions much easier, especially when sumo deadlifting. I do think you can be too flexible though.

However, I think if you are focusing most of your time lifting and only doing yoga 3 days a week for 20-30 minutes, then this really isn’t a concern. You aren’t going to get that flexible.

I do yoga 5-6 days a week and I’m really not flexible. I’m clearly more flexible than if I didn’t do it, but I’m never going to be able to do the splits or anything like that.

One thing to consider is that many of the poses from some of mobility drills you’ve seen on this site are basically stripped down versions of yoga poses.

Classes are good if you need specific instruction, but you can always try out a few DVDs if you aren’t sure if it’s something you want to get into. Blockbuster Online and Netflix both have a pretty good selection.

Let me know if you need any suggestions.

[quote]carlospimpos wrote:
Also I would avoid ashtanga/power yoga as this can impact recovery as is a bit like an RE workout.
[/quote]

I disagree with this. A 20-30 minute power yoga workout won’t impact your recovery at all. I find that my recovery improves when I do yoga session like this, especially if I’m sore from a previous workout.

It will help your recovery because it will get the lactic acid out of your system.

I’d personally rather steal the good stuff from yoga and leave the rest (flexibility that isn’t necessary and possibly damaging)