Powerlifting and Weightlifting Routine

Hey CT, I have a question about having a program with powerliftitng and weightlifting together. Which would be the first movement, the powerlifting movement or weightlifting? Also could I post the routine and get your opinion on it? TIA

[quote]krg81 wrote:
Hey CT, I have a question about having a program with powerliftitng and weightlifting together. Which would be the first movement, the powerlifting movement or weightlifting? Also could I post the routine and get your opinion on it? TIA[/quote]

Well, the good thing is that the squat and deadlift can help make the Olympic lifts stronger. So training them will be complementary to weightlifting. However I prefer to use more of a narrow stance/upright torso squat than a powerlifting squat since it has more transfer to the Olympic lifts.

For the deadlift I prefer to pull the same way as you do the first pull in the clean, which means starting with the hips a bit lower than in a typical powerlifting deadlift.

Another thing is that if you want good results I would not recommend pushing both types of movements hard at the same time. Meaning that you shouldn’t attempt nmaximum or near maximum lift on both types of movements during the same phase. Pushing the squat and deadlift hard in the same phase as you are pushing the snatch and clean & jerk hard will be too much on the nervous system and you wont progress optimally.

Rather you should alternate phases where you push the squat and deadlift hard while focusing more on technique with 70-80% weights on the Olympic lifts with phases where you do heavier on the Olympic lifts while going lighter but with more emphasis on speed and position on the powerlifts.

I normally use 4 week blocks for this.

But regardless of the phase you should start with Olympic lifts in the workout.

Bench press is always done last but can be trained heavier more often than the deadlift and squat since it wont affect the olypic lifts as much.