Powerlifting and Weight Loss

I do a carb cycle (carb up on lift days, low carb on no lift days) and have 30 min n.e.p.a. every day. 19 lbs down in 31 days so far. Actually getting stronger. I’ll weigh in the night before and then have a big pasta dinner and oats for breakfast the day of.

[quote]holbee wrote:
I do a carb cycle (carb up on lift days, low carb on no lift days) and have 30 min n.e.p.a. every day. 19 lbs down in 31 days so far. Actually getting stronger. I’ll weigh in the night before and then have a big pasta dinner and oats for breakfast the day of. [/quote]

sorry, what’s n.e.p.a. ?

Try long very gentle cardio/ long walks

nepa is like walking up hills right?

non exercise physical activity.
cool, I can definitely fit in some more of that.

thanks again for all the replies.

Non-Exercise Physical Activity

edit: nevermind

I drop about 5-7lbs easy as hell, in about 3-4days out from meets. From About 188 to 181:

-Water Loading
-Cut Salt intake
-Extremely Clean Diet
-Cut calories
-Cut water at 3pm day before, food at 7pm - and piss piss piss piss piss until the weigh-in :slight_smile:

Weigh yourself the in the morning of the day of the weigh-in, if still over, can sauna down a few pounds.

I compete IPF with 2 hour weigh-ins, so I wouldn’t want to get much over 190lbs to compete at 181lbs.

sorry for the confusion. Also, for what it’s worth, I do at least 30 minutes of the non-exercise-physical-activity every day. At least at the level of walking. A few days a week I’ll carry weights (or kids) on the walk or mow the lawn (it’s a big lawn lol).

At the end of the week after my last ME day I’ll kick up the intensity somehow and make it low energy cardio (elliptical on strong resistance, sled drags around the yard, hill climbs at a steep incline, etc.). I’ve found that if my heart goes above 130 I don’t burn as much fat. I don’t moniter it all that often (once about 15 minutes in if I’m feeling tired).
How much are you looking to loose anyway?

[quote]holbee wrote:
sorry for the confusion. Also, for what it’s worth, I do at least 30 minutes of the non-exercise-physical-activity every day. At least at the level of walking. A few days a week I’ll carry weights (or kids) on the walk or mow the lawn (it’s a big lawn lol).

At the end of the week after my last ME day I’ll kick up the intensity somehow and make it low energy cardio (elliptical on strong resistance, sled drags around the yard, hill climbs at a steep incline, etc.). I’ve found that if my heart goes above 130 I don’t burn as much fat. I don’t moniter it all that often (once about 15 minutes in if I’m feeling tired).
How much are you looking to loose anyway?[/quote]

thanks for the information!

I’m currently weighing consistently in the low 220’s.
For my weight, I’m not “strong” so I can’t compete in the 220 or higher weight classes without coming in dead last.
There’s not a class between 220 and 198 is there? seems like kind of a large gap.

As the weights get higher the gaps between the classes get bigger. 52, 56, 60, 67.5, 75, 82.5, 90, 100, 110, 125, SHW (in kilos).

[quote]miroku333 wrote:

For my weight, I’m not “strong” so I can’t compete in the 220 or higher weight classes without coming in dead last.
There’s not a class between 220 and 198 is there? seems like kind of a large gap.[/quote]

How many meets have you done?

[quote]Modi wrote:
miroku333 wrote:

There’s not a class between 220 and 198 is there? seems like kind of a large gap.

[/quote]

just one, a raw bench press only comp. and the weight classes got altered because their were only about 40 people competing, so I cut weight from 225 to 217 and lost 20lbs off my max (from 305 to 285). but the weight classes got moved into two groups 199 and under and 200 and up, after weigh-ins.

I would like to join a federation in the relatively near future and compete in full meets. currently I can’t take a whole day off from working both jobs so I would never be able to travel out to a meet…

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
Modi wrote:
miroku333 wrote:

just one, a raw bench press only comp. and the weight classes got altered because their were only about 40 people competing, so I cut weight from 225 to 217 and lost 20lbs off my max (from 305 to 285). but the weight classes got moved into two groups 199 and under and 200 and up, after weigh-ins.

I would like to join a federation in the relatively near future and compete in full meets. currently I can’t take a whole day off from working both jobs so I would never be able to travel out to a meet…[/quote]

I just feel that cutting weight is best left to the advanced lifters, or in the case where you could set a record or qualify for a Nat’l/World meet in a lighter class.

Other than that I’d just focus on getting stronger and trying to break your old records, and not worry about who you beat.

[quote]Modi wrote:

I just feel that cutting weight is best left to the advanced lifters, or in the case where you could set a record or qualify for a Nat’l/World meet in a lighter class.

Other than that I’d just focus on getting stronger and trying to break your old records, and not worry about who you beat.[/quote]

wise words.
thank you.

Good advice,

But being competitive is very important, and can be a great motivator. If you don’t like competition, why don’t you just do the lifts in your garage? You come to a competition to compete, and to be recognized.

For my first meet, I cut weight to practice for my second meet. In my second meet, I cut weight and set some records. I’m planning to cut again for my next meet to break the same records again.

I wil however to a meet in february without cutting weight, just a local comp for some practice. I’ll then cut weight for junior and open nats though.

You’re going to want to practice cutting weight before it becomes important too I’d say, not for every comp you don;t need to - then you can get a ranking in 2 weight classes lolz

Cutting weight has been really easy for me though, and hasn’t affected my strength levels. It may affect others differently.

[quote]Laughing Man wrote:
Good advice,

But being competitive is very important, and can be a great motivator. If you don’t like competition, why don’t you just do the lifts in your garage? You come to a competition to compete, and to be recognized.
[/quote]

Wow, I completely missed this. Was this directed at me?

I lift in my basement, not my garage, does that matter?

My point was that you need to be competitive with yourself. Every time you step into a training session, or out on a platform you should be trying to set a PR. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a PR whore. If at all possible, I won’t walk away from a session without lifting more pounds or more reps of something, so that I am prepared for my next meet.

When I step out on the platform, my goal is to set a PR in each of my lifts. I never want to walk away feeling like I left anything on the platform. Of course I want to win the meet, I’m one of the most competitive people I know, but that’s a little out of my control sometimes. You never know who is going to show up on any given day. If you hit 3 PR’s, I’d say it was a pretty damned good day.

I’ve only lost one meet and that was because I competed Raw against everyone else’s equipped numbers. I won one meet simply because no one else entered my weight class…do you think that made me feel special? Do you think I’d rather have a shitty day and win because no one else was there, or have the best day of my life, but lose because someone was bigger and stronger in my weight class? That would just motivate me to get bigger and stronger for my next meet.

The OP stated that he wasn’t strong enough to compete in the 220’s. My advice: Get Stronger. Now isn’t the time to be trying to drop weight classes to find someone you may be able to beat. Now is the time to put some fucking pounds on the bar and be strong enough to compete in any weight class.

No it wasn’t directed at you.

But when you compete, you realise that training lifts mean nothing in comparison to what to put up on the platform.

I agree that you have to be competitive with yourself and set PR’s, and I’m not trying to take away from those who don’t compete. But when you step onto the platform, you should be thinking about both(competing against yourself and others).

I don’t know, I’m just using competition as a deadline. I suck without a deadline.

This will sound gay - I will win even if I lose. LOL