Powerlifting and Rugby

Hello all,

I’m considering playing rugby here in the spring. I was wondering what would be the best way to work in conditioning with 5/3/1, and also if working in some Oly lifting for explosiveness would be beneficial?

Some background on myself:
Currently 22 years old, 190lbs with minor knee problems from the military. Currently 330Bench, 460 Deadlift, and 390 Squat. Have been doing 5/3/1 BBB for about a year now. Haven’t done any significant conditioning since leaving the Army in March.

Thank you

[quote]Trael wrote:
Hello all,

I’m considering playing rugby here in the spring. I was wondering what would be the best way to work in conditioning with 5/3/1, and also if working in some Oly lifting for explosiveness would be beneficial?

Some background on myself:
Currently 22 years old, 190lbs with minor knee problems from the military. Currently 330Bench, 460 Deadlift, and 390 Squat. Have been doing 5/3/1 BBB for about a year now. Haven’t done any significant conditioning since leaving the Army in March.

Thank you[/quote]

If coming off a layoff with bad knees i’d start off with some of these tacked on to a workout once or twice a week…

(also will slightly help explosiveness)

20 mins HIIT on the bike another option

Until you get your knee repaired/rehabbed, your training must be cautious of using anything that stresses that knee. We don’t know what you can/can’t do. So find out what you can and “train what is trainable.”

Most of us have had some kind of knee problems - it’s just what happens when you play sports for decades and train. I had my knees drained many times in HS and all I did was exactly what I told you. I found what I could do and did them until I was able to run and jump again. More often than not, if you do this properly, you won’t “lose” that much.