Powerlifting And Long Arms

I was reading some posts on elitefts.com about gaining weight, and most of the responces said that you should gain weight untill your deadlift stops increasing. So does this mean that everyone should be 275+? Or am I missundersatnding this?
Thanks in advance
Will42

Those guys are more concerned with totals than weight groups or general strength and health…

It depends on your goals… For your total if thats all you care about it makes sense.

I think you should gain weight up to the point where your pants split, your blood pressure goes way way up and you huff and puff to get up one flight of stairs. Then and only then will you have attained true Powerlifting greatness! And hey…isn’t it worth it?
:slight_smile:

Zeb
Why are you such a hater? So what if they don’t do pullups. Some powerlifters are fat and seem out of shape. Some are pretty lean and push alot of weight around. Some appear to be fat but will squat you into the ground with 30 seconds rest between sets. Don’t hate just because they don’t do what you do.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I think you should gain weight up to the point where your pants split, your blood pressure goes way way up and you huff and puff to get up one flight of stairs. Then and only then will you have attained true Powerlifting greatness! And hey…isn’t it worth it?
:)[/quote]

Yeah check out this fat ass.

Hfrogs, people tend to hate what they cannot achieve bro.

Zeb,

I believe you can acheive ultimate fatness. Keep working on it :wink:

[quote]Will42 wrote:
I was reading some posts on elitefts.com about gaining weight, and most of the responces said that you should gain weight untill your deadlift stops increasing. So does this mean that everyone should be 275+? Or am I missundersatnding this?
Thanks in advance
Will42[/quote]

this seems reasonable…

just because you gain weight doesn’t mean you have to be an out of shape fat-ass…

ex: Mariusz Pudzianowski (world’s strongest man competitor)is up around 290 lbs and he seems to be in pretty good shape…

pay attention to your diet…if you are gaining fat too quickly cut back the calories a bit…if you’re not gaining any weight add calories…it’s not rocket science.

Wow…you guys are sensitive. I was kidding. Some of the most athletic people I know are powerlifters! I think more people should dedicate their lives to Powerlifting. The world would be a better place…yep.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
Thanks in advance
Will42[/quote]

i don’t agree with those responses posted. Maybe you want to stay within a certain weight class or limit. from doing reading on this site you should know what facilitates strength gains: increases in muscle and CNS efficiency. Maybe they meant that once you hit a certain muscle size then you try to improve upon the CNS. laters pk

DPH,
Super Mariusz is the man, to be in good shape, and be as strong as he is that would be awesome. Seriously dont be so harsh on ZEB. Cant we all just get along:) But if anyone has tips on how to deadlift big weights please share.
Thanks for the advice
Will42

Will:

I worked out with a powerlifter back in the 80’s. He was only 186lbs but could Deadlift around 670lbs! I will get some tips from him and pass them on if you like.

He would always blow me away in the Deadlift, but I could keep up with him in the Squat.

when are you guys going to learn… being in shape simply means being lean. it is more cool to be a whopping 150lbs and able to see your abs than be 250 and able to squat 800; pullups are the TRUE mark of a man and the only exercise that is really tough; all you have to do to bench big is wear a bench shirt and take roids,screw balls to the wall training; and what Zeb says trumps anything a powerlifter says cause powerlifters are fat. being skinny strong rules! i think i am going to go on the warrior diet and trim down from 220 to 150 so i can be skinny strong and see my abs and do pullups, cause that is what being “in shape” really is.

Being “in shape” is a relative term.

ZEB,
That would be great.

Will42

[quote]Scott613 wrote:
when are you guys going to learn… being in shape simply means being lean. it is more cool to be a whopping 150lbs and able to see your abs than be 250 and able to squat 800; pullups are the TRUE mark of a man and the only exercise that is really tough; all you have to do to bench big is wear a bench shirt and take roids,screw balls to the wall training; and what Zeb says trumps anything a powerlifter says cause powerlifters are fat. being skinny strong rules! i think i am going to go on the warrior diet and trim down from 220 to 150 so i can be skinny strong and see my abs and do pullups, cause that is what being “in shape” really is.[/quote]

Scott:

I am trying to ignore your ignorance, but it’s sort of like trying to block out the sun with a teaspoon…but I’ll try…I’ll try.

Will:

I’ll be working out with him this coming Saturday and will ask him his top three “tips” for a bigger Deadlift!

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I worked out with a powerlifter back in the 80’s. He was only 186lbs but could Deadlift around 670lbs![/quote]

how tall was this powerlifter at that weight class and what was his bodyfat levels? just interested in knowing, laters pk

umm…Scott, you must be using sarcasm, right?

[quote]Scott613 wrote:
when are you guys going to learn… being in shape simply means being lean. it is more cool to be a whopping 150lbs and able to see your abs than be 250 and able to squat 800; pullups are the TRUE mark of a man and the only exercise that is really tough; all you have to do to bench big is wear a bench shirt and take roids,screw balls to the wall training; and what Zeb says trumps anything a powerlifter says cause powerlifters are fat. being skinny strong rules! i think i am going to go on the warrior diet and trim down from 220 to 150 so i can be skinny strong and see my abs and do pullups, cause that is what being “in shape” really is.[/quote]

IF this isn’t sarcasm, you should be voted off this site. I dont believe I’ve ever heard such an ignorant Statement in my life, and I’m from Texas. If you were being sarcastic, cheers to you, you’ve accomplished your mission.

ok, ok, I saw the title of the column and thought “hey, that sounds like me, I wanna be a better powerlifter and I have some long-ass gorilla arms.” I was laughing my ass off as I read postings where you all badger the shit out of each other. Bravo! I’m going laugh the rest of the day. But seriously, I have long arms and imagine I’m built very well for deadlifting and squatting, but I’ll be damned if I can get more than 10-15 pounds added to my bench each month since my long ass gorilla arms make it pretty hard to power that barbell all the damn way up to lockout. Now, I’ve already began using the variations ie. floor presses, JM presses (god those are rough), etc and they do help for sure, however if someone out there is a gangly bastard like me, tell me how you adapted.

Balls Deep!! Dustan

pk:

He is 5’8" and weighed 186lbs. At the time. We didn’t have any way to measure body fat in those days. At least not a simple way, and none of us cared then anyway. I would guess it had to be below 10%.

I have maintained a friendship with this lifter for many years. To this day when we T-Bar row he uses 265lbs. for reps, and this is at his current body weight of about 170lbs. and he (like me) is in his forties. That is some serious strength. Try as I may I cannot keep up with him and I weigh in at 188lbs.