Powerlifting Ain't a Strength Tester

Lol it seems like you have a major problem with people not agreeing with you. Learn to be a bit more open minded. I agree id rather not start another argument with you. And i didnt say strengh wasnt the goal,i said your statement about powerlifting being all about unfairness isnt true because of the reasons i outlined.

Why should I open my mind to nonsense?

This is coming from the same guy who threw a fit when I recommended watching Chris Duffin’s video “Breathing is NOT bracing” because he thought it might contradict what he heard elsewhere.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, sometimes I find out that I’m wrong about certain things and in other cases you just have to agree to disagree. In your case, you are flat out wrong about nearly everything.

1 Like

So you are responding to my argument here according to ur previous impression of me from another forum? That and the ad hominems make it hard to take your words seriosly. Now seeing how you respond, i can imagine youll take an offense to that too and say how dare I,a kid accuse you of ad hominems and writing based on emotions.I didnt want to write this comment either seeing as how you completely derailed from the original argument and just jumped straight into how youre insulted that i told u to be more open minded. So dont respond,and spare us both the headache of dealing with the other,if i am the obstinate kid you think i am than nothing you say further will fix anything,so just leave it.

You do realize a thread doesn’t occur in a bubble, right? The only difference between this place and real-life is that the interactions are digital and can be, but aren’t necessarily, anonymous. Otherwise, the impression you make follows you from thread to thread. The questions you ask, your temperament, etc
 all help others form their opinion of you and follow you around the forum no different than any real-life acquaintance.

A lot of younger / newer members seem to struggle with that reality.

Note, I’m not siding with either of you on the topic or the nonsense the two of you are arguing about.

1 Like

You already proved yourself to be an idiot. You don’t start with a blank slate when you post in another thread, and you already made a fool of yourself in this one too.

I already responded to your argument:

I’m not even sure what we are arguing about, he just looks like he wants to pick a fight but he isn’t about to win. I come here mostly to give people advice, and several people have thanked me and said they benefited. Also I ask for advice when I need it, and sometimes I do. If I’m going to post in a forum I’m not going to put up with shit that I wouldn’t put up with in real life. I see why a lot of people stopped posting here, there are clowns who know nothing and like to type.

Dawg, you’re SALTY AS HELL about people benching more than you because they arch. This whole thread was started based on emotions.

4 Likes

Wait this is the bench arch forum? Fk ppl still commenting on here? I already said i changed my mind about it,why are people still commenting herem

1 Like

yes you did. doesn’t erase our memory, or the digital trail of you being an idiot at the start of the thread. WE REMEMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But I actually wanted to talk about sumo vs conventional. I had this wild idea. What if, in deadlift history, sumo had actually come first? The only reason anyone calls it cheating is because it came into being after conventional. If the first guys who deadlifted had done it sumo style, I’d bet we would be making the same arguments about conventional. ‘Conventional isn’t fair! you get to have your feet directly under your shoulders! It’s easier off the floor! Better leverages! The biggest deadlifts in the world are conventional, it’s clearly cheating!’ Except it wouldn’t be called conventional, because it came 2nd. It would be called ‘close stance deadlifting’, and sumo would be called conventional.

10 Likes

. [quote=“flipcollar, post:110, topic:242967”]
yes you did.
[/quote]

I did what? So youre still commenting here for the sake of annoying me even after i saw the argument of the other side and understood why i was wrong? People here tell me im obstinate but thats just pathetic.

If im not wrong partial deadlifts came before off the floor deads and we still dont make them.both equal. Not that im saying sumo particularly is cheating just replying to your specific comparison.

you did change your mind. read your quote and then read what I said. It’s a direct response.

you said ‘I already said I changed m mind’, and then I said ‘yes you did’. It’s not hard to follow the conversation.

Like I said, the second paragraph was the real reason I posted. The first part was just for fun. I don’t actually care about you.

Where did you hear that from? If you can provide a source, I’ll read it. I’ve never heard this.

Keep in mind though, there actually is no such thing as actually lifting a barbell ‘off the floor’ unless it’s unloaded. Every ‘regular’ deadlift is partial range of motion, because it is half the diameter of the plate above the ground to start. Are you saying plates used to be bigger or something? I have a hard time believing that the first deadlifts were done with the plates of a barbell sitting on platforms or something, and also being the same diameter they are today. Seems unlikely. But I’m open to being proven wrong, if you can do it.

1 Like

Strongman used to do deads with those big wheel things on the barbells. As i said i might be wrong tho and might be mistaking it for sth else.

you’re talking about a wagon wheel deadlift, which is still a staple of strongman competition. It’s usually done with an axle bar, which is what I imagine strongmen long ago would have been using as well.

If we’re including things that aren’t actually barbells, and wheels that aren’t actually plates, then we should probably also include the VERY first deadlifts, which would have been picking heavy rocks off the ground. But I don’t think that’s really in line with what we’re talking about here. Deadlifting in the modern sense involves a barbell with plates that are essentially the size that has become a standard today. It probably makes sense to just extend deadlifting history to that, unless we want to go to BC times.

You’re getting stupider by the moment, you don’t even know what you are doing. Look at the first post in this thread - which you started, you fucking fool:

So why did you reply to my post earlier when the harebrained argument you started in this thread already got shot down a long time ago?

You were hallucinating

Because i thought it was a different forum i started,which explains why i said “wait this is the bench arch forum?”. And your replies are still pathetic,you say im looking for a fight and insults in the comments but youre the one who keeps commenting on my posts.

This is a further example of your lack of intelligence.

Again, the pot calls the kettle black. You are a hypocrite and a fool.

Using barbells and calibrated plates is cheating because it’s not true to the original spirit of powerlifting.

Also:
I use a Kabuki full knurling squat bar at the gym - mad cheating
and I wear a bar grip shirt - mad cheating
I even use these at the same time - super cheating.
SSB Squat? = super duper cheating
Rack pull? Cheating
Deadlift bar instead of Stiff bar? Cheating
Bumper plates for powerlifting? Cheaters
Tape on thumbs for hook grip? Worse than roids in a tested division, even though rules allow tape up to two revolutions
Straps for training? Cheating. Straps on an axle? Super cheating
Pre workout = cheating
Food before and after workout = cheating
Proper hydration = cheating
Full night of sleep = cheating
Looking of exercise science research to train smart = cheating
Hiring a coach that most people don’t have access to = cheater

3 Likes