Powerlifting Ain't a Strength Tester

I dont think its a good comparison as all strongman lifts are done in very large ranges of motion with or without using dynamic movement. But again i cant change the rules so whats the point. Also plenty of ppl outbench me without an arch,i dont have any personal vendetta against excessive arches,i just dont feel like its true to the spirit of powerlifting.

It’s within the rules, so I think it’s true to the spirit of powerlifting. Most of the top benchers arch. Are you going to tell them that they’re doing it wrong and not being “true to the spirit of powerlifting”? What’s next? “Low bar is cheating?”

3 Likes

Lol lets stop beating a dead horse. I said its within the rules and cant do anything against that. Top benchers bench like that because otherwise theyd be at a disadvantage to others that do arch.

Even though their arch is bigger than other archers?

At an elite level you dont wanna take any risks. I get why theyd rather go max arch rather than be “respectful” to the original spirit of powerlifting.

what world records are you talking about? I can’t think of very many big bench press records that resemble what you’re talking about, especially in the higher weight classes. Are you mostly talking about really really light weight classes and women?

1 Like

I’m sorry, how is it that you think you know what the ‘spirit of powerlifting’ used to be? It sounds a lot more like you’re imposing your own view of what you’d like the sport to be, rather than what it ever was.

2 Likes

Dude, you’re 18. Take a breath and go finger bang a cheerleader.

14 Likes

You know what’s not “respectful” to the original spirit of powerlifting? Dropping weight at the top of a deadlift. In the words of Mark Rippetoe, “People who drop the weight at the top are pussies” You’re literally doing half the rep - which is why the original spirit of powerlifting includes a very clear “Down” command.

2 Likes

Yes,which is why i took responsibility for that and already said myself that that wasnt good.

1 Like

So I know this is not the question at hand in this thread, but I read through some of your post history. You’re competing at too low of a weight class for your height, my man. You’re severely limiting your potential in the sport by trying to maximize your lifts at such a low weight class. You’re going to plateau HARD. I currently compete in the 181 class in strongman, and I’m 5’11, 3" shorter than you. AND I’m doing a 15-20 lbs water cut just to make weight. Let that sink in for a bit. Think about how much more muscle mass I can carry at my height for your chosen class.

What you should do is work hard at adding as much muscle as possible, with the intention of competing at least at the 198 class, if not the 220 eventually. That should be your long-term goal if you want to have any kind of real success in either powerlifting or strongman. You’re only 18 years old, your approach to training and diet should reflect this. You should be looking at maximizing your potential for several years to come, not just right now.

2 Likes

Indeed i should. It just seems like anytime i eat big enough to gain weight i only gain it at my stomach and nothing else. My arms are lean af compared to my stomach. Ive been thinking about doing a lean slow bulk with the intention of adding 12kg per year. Whatever ill end up doing i think ill definetely try to add some weight.

well, if you add 12 kg in a year, that will be pretty significant. 2 years of that would move you up multiple classes, to where you should be.

I think you’re overestimating your bellyfat. We all retain more fat there than on our arms. That’s a pretty natural thing, so don’t stress about that. You look perfectly normal in the picture you posted of yourself.

When you eat more, do you get stronger? As a competitor, that is ALL that should matter. Forget the mirror for awhile. Just focus on numbers if you want to be a good powerlifter or strongman. Mirror selfie is not a strongman event, as far as I’m aware.

4 Likes

I’m a bit late to the topic but if no one has said it yet I’ve heard like elbows to the level of the bench. So like an imaginary plane at bench pad level and you have to at least. Like what parallel is for squats

For squats we can have the bar position be high or low bar as we want. Wide stance or narrow stance. We can good morning squat the weight or Olympic squat the weight and everything in between and other stuff but we need to hit at least parallel. Some people go deeper.

1 Like

Yes thats what i have proposed as well but people think its too hard to judge and unneccessary.

I assure you that anyone arching as hard as they can to minimize the ROM is being way more respectful to the original spirit of powerlifting than anyone else that tries to make it some “true measure of strength”.

Keep in mind that raw powerlifting is YOUNGER than equipped lifting.

1 Like

You have a point.

Sorta. They like events like the 18 inch deadlift. I have seen an 18 inch deadlift with a super long “whippy” bar. The dude was about 5’5" and at lockout the weight was about 3 inches off the ground.

^^^This^^^.

Hatfield used to sew ace bandages together to make his ace bandages (knee wraps were almost always just ace bandages) give more bounce.

Also, keep in mind that the wide grip, big arch benchers also narrow grip, flat back bench to build strength too.

1 Like

Some big guys don’t arch and have short ROM because their body is thick. How come that isn’t cheating?

If you think benching with a big arch is bullshit and anyone can do it then go set a world record to prove your theory.

3 Likes