Powerlifters Are FAT?

Hello T-Nation people. I was at a BBQ this weekend and of course, I am around a bunch of average people(out of shape).

Unfortunately I showed up in a muscle shirt, not thinking anything of it since I am at a beach BBQ.

After I meet all the new people, the conversation shifts to a bunch of buzzed people making excuses on why they are fat, lazy…
I try to leave the conversation because it makes me uncomfortable to “outdo” everyone on fitness, nutrition and appearance, which I am sure will shift the conversation to.

I have learned that drunk poeple at a BBQ will never take my advice and they dont ACTUALLY want to be in shape or they wouldnt be a few hundred pounds overweight to begin with.

Once again, I am explaining to a crowd that Powerlifters are NOT fat.

Are they confused with Olympic lifting and that fat Russian Vladamir something.

NO I AM NOT A BODYBUILDER, and explain that they are just “showdogs” and dont actually do anything but look pretty.

The people always say that I dont look like a powerlifter, guess that is a good thing, but shows me that people dont know what powerlifters look like.

Does anyone else deal with theis delema?

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
NO I AM NOT A BODYBUILDER, and explain that they are just “showdogs” and dont actually do anything but look pretty.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I can’t understand why some people think bodybuilding is a sport, when all you need to do is look at the top bodybuilders, they don’t do a damned thing except sit around looking pretty all day.

If you have ever been to a bodybuilding show, you know that these guys are NOT athletes. I saw Jay Cutler as a guest appearance come out flex for 4 minutes, then he tried to speak to the audience and HE COULDN’T!!! He was too gassed to speak.

I know that some bodybuilders are impressive though.

Also, I dont hate bodybuilders, just their little outfits and mentallity, also a little resentful to be honest, bodybuilders score chicks, they never ask me if I can bench 2X bdwt, they just want to be seen with Mr Pretty.

[quote]tom_jones wrote:
moonjumper wrote:
NO I AM NOT A BODYBUILDER, and explain that they are just “showdogs” and dont actually do anything but look pretty.

I know what you mean. I can’t understand why some people think bodybuilding is a sport, when all you need to do is look at the top bodybuilders, they don’t do a damned thing except sit around looking pretty all day.[/quote]

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
If you have ever been to a bodybuilding show, you know that these guys are NOT athletes. I saw Jay Cutler as a guest appearance come out flex for 4 minutes, then he tried to speak to the audience and HE COULDN’T!!! He was too gassed to speak.

Also, I dont hate bodybuilders, just their little outfits and mentallity, also a little resentful to be honest, bodybuilders score chicks, they never ask me if I can bench 2X bdwt, they just want to be seen with Mr Pretty.

tom_jones wrote:
moonjumper wrote:

I know what you mean. I can’t understand why some people think bodybuilding is a sport, when all you need to do is look at the top bodybuilders, they don’t do a damned thing except sit around looking pretty all day.

[/quote]

Im more into powerlifting myself, but i just have to ask you if you have ever posed for 4 solid minutes, cuz just about anybody would be sweating and have an elevated heartbeat.

Its a neat little thing to do to work on muscle density, and its a bitch and a half to flex for an extended amount of time.

–JB

[quote]moonjumper wrote:

Also, I dont hate bodybuilders, just their little outfits and mentallity, also a little resentful to be honest, bodybuilders score chicks, they never ask me if I can bench 2X bdwt, they just want to be seen with Mr Pretty.[/quote]

You’re right, Jay Cutler is nowhere near as athletic as this person who obviously is a phenominal example of athletic ability and health. God, powerlifters are obviously not athletes, they’re nothing but fat fucks. Wait, what am I doing?

Oh, I’m basing my opinion on everyone who competes in a sport on just a portion of the people who compete in it. Kind of like the people you were ranting about. But, isn’t that what you just did with bodybuilders?

You forget that in most cases, bodybuilders are generally at their weakest when they are up on stage posing, and that posing routines actually aren’t as easy as you may think.

I find it pretty short sighted of you to say that bodybuilders don’t do anything except “look pretty,” as if getting the bodies that they have achieved doesn’t take a HELL of a lot of work and time.

I just can’t understand why someone would come to a website based around bodybuilding, complain about people stereotyping powerlifters, and then go on to basically stereotype and insult bodybuilders.

[quote]tom_jones wrote:
I just can’t understand why someone would come to a website based around bodybuilding, complain about people stereotyping powerlifters, and then go on to basically stereotype and insult bodybuilders.[/quote]

I believe it’s called thick headed self righteousness.

Hold on one second. I understand that bodybuilders do exercise aggressively and eat correctly, Im not knocking them, I actaully look like one.

I was just stating that since appearance is the ONLY competitive aspect of the sport, it doesnt matter if you train smart, great genetics, eat smart…if someone out there looks better, THEY WIN. So its all based on looks.PERIOD. Can judging be tampered?favorites played? all you can go on is who the judges like more.

just think of a “bodybuilder”, you probably think of a big ripped guy, right?
Now think “powerlifter”, what do you think of? a tat covered shaved head zoned out guy who only trains heavy?
The whole point of this discussion is to see why people think that powerlifters are fat?

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
tom_jones wrote:
I just can’t understand why someone would come to a website based around bodybuilding, complain about people stereotyping powerlifters, and then go on to basically stereotype and insult bodybuilders.

I believe it’s called thick headed self righteousness.[/quote]

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
Hold on one second. I understand that bodybuilders do exercise aggressively and eat correctly, Im not knocking them, I actaully look like one.

I was just stating that since appearance is the ONLY competitive aspect of the sport, it doesnt matter if you train smart, great genetics, eat smart…if someone out there looks better, THEY WIN. So its all based on looks.PERIOD. Can judging be tampered?favorites played? all you can go on is who the judges like more.

Now think “powerlifter”, what do you think of? a tat covered shaved head zoned out guy who only trains heavy?
The whole point of this discussion is to see why people think that powerlifters are fat?

BigRagoo wrote:
tom_jones wrote:

[/quote]

OK, i seem to understand where you’re coming from now, but maybe the general population sees powerlifters that way, but i’d like to think that we’re a bit more advanced here at T-Nation.

I’ve learned over time to ignore anything that anybody from the general population says about anything weight lifting related, be it bodybuilding, powerlifting, olympic lifting, diet, and most importantly supplementation.

And i personally think of Dave Tate and Eric Cressey when i think of powerlifting.

–JB

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
… The whole point of this discussion is to see why people think that powerlifters are fat?
[/quote]

It’s been my experience that most civilians don’t know what powerlifters are.

Rick

Sweet and simple, good explanation.
The fact that we cant decide on gear,federatons, drugs, officiating is why powerlifting is never televised and WONT be in the olympics, but at least CURLING is in the olympics, so grab your broom.

it might even show up in the Olympics before bodybuilding, hairstyling and model race car building.

[quote]rcomito wrote:
moonjumper wrote:
… The whole point of this discussion is to see why people think that powerlifters are fat?

Rick

[/quote]

[quote]rcomito wrote:
moonjumper wrote:

Rick

[/quote]

ya know what, i have to agree on that one, my senior year of high school i did a meet for just the local high schools, and some of my female friends showed up because they thought that powerlifting meant that i’d have to wear " one of those man thongs"

–JB

You are a rarity my friend but I guess that the T-Nation audience is much more advanced than the “normal” public. good point. Michael Jordan was once asked by a child if he was good at basketball, his reply was"I think I am" You obviously know how to differentiate.
Tate now looks like a bodybuilder, he is ripped.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
moonjumper wrote:

BigRagoo wrote:
tom_jones wrote:

OK, i seem to understand where you’re coming from now, but maybe the general population sees powerlifters that way, but i’d like to think that we’re a bit more advanced here at T-Nation.

I’ve learned over time to ignore anything that anybody from the general population says about anything weight lifting related, be it bodybuilding, powerlifting, olympic lifting, diet, and most importantly supplementation.

And i personally think of Dave Tate and Eric Cressey when i think of powerlifting.

–JB[/quote]

This is probably one of the worst threads I’ve seen on T-Nation, and thats saying something. The reason people think powerlifters are fat… is because alot of them ARE! Superheavys are all fat, because it helps them with leverage points. Ofcourse bodybuilders can’t be fat because thats what a great deal of the sport is about!

And the fact that you would bash bodybuilders and call them unathletic is ridiculous. Bodybuilding requires WAY more stamina than powerlifting. Do you realize how difficult it is to isometrically flex almost all your muscles for 4-5 minutes straight? Go ahead and try it. If you want to be athletic and strong get into Olympic lifting. Powerlifters are not explosive at all, they’re strong, but in the heavier weight classes I doubt alot of the guys could run 200m without collapsing.

Get informed about something before you go running your mouth (well I guess it would be fingers technically) about it.

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
Hello T-Nation people. I was at a BBQ this weekend and of course, I am around a bunch of average people(out of shape).

Unfortunately I showed up in a muscle shirt, not thinking anything of it since I am at a beach BBQ.

After I meet all the new people, the conversation shifts to a bunch of buzzed people making excuses on why they are fat, lazy…
I try to leave the conversation because it makes me uncomfortable to “outdo” everyone on fitness, nutrition and appearance, which I am sure will shift the conversation to.

I have learned that drunk poeple at a BBQ will never take my advice and they dont ACTUALLY want to be in shape or they wouldnt be a few hundred pounds overweight to begin with.

Once again, I am explaining to a crowd that Powerlifters are NOT fat.

Are they confused with Olympic lifting and that fat Russian Vladamir something.

The people always say that I dont look like a powerlifter, guess that is a good thing, but shows me that people dont know what powerlifters look like.

Does anyone else deal with theis delema?[/quote]

Sometimes they are fat, sometimes not. But who really cares what others think. I’ve powerlifted and I never cared.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

Sometimes they are fat, sometimes not. But who really cares what others think. I’ve powerlifted and I never cared.

[/quote]

Yup.

We can end this post pretty quickly, actually. Here it goes.

WOW Moonjumper, you are a really amazing guy!!!

I REALLLLY admire the fact that you took time out of your’s and everyone else’s day to relate a story that can do nothing but convince us all (and yourself!!!) that you are a powerlifter who looks like a bodybuilder.

On the internet this is really hard to judge so I am glad this came up.

You are a rare breed, indeed.

I am really sorry that you have to carry this burden around. The fact that you are so powerful yet look so much better than others that it causes you grief in social settings is appalling.

It almost brought me to tears.

When I meditate tomorrow morning I will also spend some time praying that God delivers you from this torment.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Yup.

I REALLLLY admire the fact that you took time out of your’s and everyone else’s day to relate a story that can do nothing but convince us all (and yourself!!!) that you are a powerlifter who looks like a bodybuilder.

I am really sorry that you have to carry this burden around. The fact that you are so powerful yet look so much better than others that it causes you grief in social settings is appalling.

When I meditate tomorrow morning I will also spend some time praying that God delivers you from this torment.

[/quote]

WOW… One of the best posts I have ever seen on T-Nation.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Yup.

[/quote]

HAHAH this reply basically sums up evertying very well.

Jeeze fellas. We should all realise that anyone who trains with weights seriously, is going to have a different mind set to the general population and in most cases will have to put up with peoples ignorance on the sport.

Whether you train for powerlifting, bodybuilding, olimpic lifting or strongman, we all have one thing in common and that is we train hard with weights to achieve a goal. I train mainly for strength, but will give full support to anyone training for any of these goals, because they all take a lot of dedication and hard work.

Lets be a bit more supportive of each other regardless of our weight training goals.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Yup.

[/quote]

I completely agree.

We need a moonjumper appreciation society around here. I don’t know how anyone can be so modest, yet so strong and look so good.

[quote]perksy wrote:
Jeeze fellas. We should all realise that anyone who trains with weights seriously, is going to have a different mind set to the general population and in most cases will have to put up with peoples ignorance on the sport.

Whether you train for powerlifting, bodybuilding, olimpic lifting or strongman, we all have one thing in common and that is we train hard with weights to achieve a goal. I train mainly for strength, but will give full support to anyone training for any of these goals, because they all take a lot of dedication and hard work.

Lets be a bit more supportive of each other regardless of our weight training goals.[/quote]

I do agree. However, this post was “preaching to the choir”. Anyone who has a few years of serious lifting has had to field a bevy of ignorant, unfounded, or confusing questions and comments. The thing is to not let it stay on your mind and fester. The gen pop does not grasp weight traning of any kind, and therefor will always baffle you with their comments.