T Nation

Powerlifter Vs. Bodybuilder 2 - The Rematch

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/first_meet_preparation?id=5873409&pageNo=0

Well I went head to head against my friend/nemesis at work last May to see who was the strongest guy at our school (we are teachers). He beat me (Bench, Deadlift, Squat) I challenged him again this year to a rematch.

Our friend is going to be the ref. He is a high school strength coach.

Me, my opponent, and the ref are each going to get this list and choose two lifts from each category push, pull, squat. He are going to put these in a hat when we get to the comp and pick a push,pull, and squat. We are going to pick a random rep range from 1-10 . The person that can move the heaviest weight for the rep range wins the lift. 2 out of 3 lifts wins overall. We might had some farmers walks, car pulls, or other strongman stuff. Just a fun competition to see who is the “strongest”. The kids at school found out about it today and are really excited.

Here is a list of lifts. This guy is a lot bigger than me, I want to beat him.

My current totals
Squat 390
Bench 250
Deadlift 465

Last year he squatted 335x5, Benched 315x1 easy, Deadlifted 300x7 easy.

These are the lifts we can choose from.

Press:

Flat bench press

Incline press

Push-press

Jerk

Jerk behind neck

Dumbbell press

Dumbbell bench press

Dumbbell incline

Floor press

Pull:

Deadlift

4 inch Deficit Deadlift

4 inch block pull deadlift

Romanian deadlift

Bent over row

Clean/Power-clean

Hang clean

Snatch/Power snatch

High pull (clean grip and snatch grip)

Kroc rows

Squat:

Low bar/ wide stance squat

High bar olympic squat

Front squat

Low box squat

High box squat

Overhead squats

Zercher squat

I will post more details as they come up. I am 205 right now and he is 240. I could use help picking the best lifts for me and training for all possibilities. His upper body is huge but his low back is very very weak.

I made a video of his squat bench and dead from the last meet and my most recent training lifts. I am the smaller guy. Do you think this a fair competition and do I have a shot at beating this guy?

before I start getting some heat, I was yelling a lot in the deadlift video, that is just my personality I cant change it. I dont think I am a bada$$ or anything like that. Obviously my weights are so small about the only people I can beat are people who do not train . . . but that is changing. I show these videos to my kids and they cant stop laughing. I am just a little nuts.

Since the last meet in May I started lifting with people who are a lot stronger than me and it has helped me out a lot. When this guy beat me last May it took me down a notch and gave me a lot more respect for the different types of strength athletes. Big guys who take lots of selfies at the gym and stay in the 10-20 rep range can also be really strong, who knew? I also got a lot more serious in all aspects of my training. I switched to Westside Barbell this July and so far so good. This May I am going to put out my best showing yet.

Whilst you weigh 205 and he weighs 240 its never going to be a fair competition…much better and fairer would be to see who can lift the most weight for their body weight ie if you bench say 30 % more than your bodyweight and he were to bench just 25% more than his bodyweight even though he may lift more than you pound for pound you would be stronger in my opinion.

Surely just throwing the numbers into a wilks calculator would be better that bodyweight, otherwise that skews it too much in the OP’s favour?

Fuck wilks

[quote]Reed wrote:
Fuck wilks[/quote]

I tried to do pound for pound and wikis last year and he said I was playing a math trick on him. I am a math teacher and lets just say . . . he is not.

I trained with my Olifting friends today. They are accomplished and helped me with overhead squat, snatch, clean, and push press. If you are not use to olifts they are tough. I think on my two choices I am leaning towards the olifts. I think Snatch and overhead squat would be the hardest for my opponent. Are there any lifts you think are missing from the list or should be removed? I can gain and lose weight pretty easy so I may gain a little for this comp.

Am I the only one loling at this guy having a 315 bench but a 300x7 deadlift??? OP I feel like you could smoke him in the pull. Well an 8th grade football player could smoke his pull. haha

Do you always squat to that (high) box?

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Do you always squat to that (high) box?[/quote]

When I do box squats I use it. What do you think of it?

Reed why fuck wilks? Surely better than doing pound for pound, unless you’re saying just man up and see who lifts the most regardless of bodyweight?

[quote]rusty92 wrote:
Reed why fuck wilks? Surely better than doing pound for pound, unless you’re saying just man up and see who lifts the most regardless of bodyweight?[/quote]

I am going to man up and see who is strongest. I have 24 weeks so I am going to try to gain about a pound a week. I am making a weight gainer shake (milk, whey, oatmeal, honey) each morning in addition to my normal food. I gain fat in my abdomen pretty easy so I am trying to bump up my calories 500 per day and take it slow. On a day I ride my bicycle to work I will bump the calories up a little more. If I weight in around 230 for the meet and he is around 240 I think I have a decent chance. It will come down the the events picked. I tweaked the events a little bit more.

Press:

  1. Flat Bench Press - Him
  2. Incline Press- Him
  3. Push-Press - Even
  4. Jerk - Me
  5. Jerk Behind neck - Me
  6. Military Press in front of face - Him
  7. Dumbbell Incline- Him
  8. Military Press behind neck - Him

Favor Bodybuilder - 5 Favor Powerlifter - 2 Even 1. I tried to get as many standing pressing events to wear his back out.

Pull:

  1. Deadlift - Me
  2. Deadlift from 4 inch deficit - Me
  3. Deadlift from 4 inch block - Me
  4. Straight leg deadlift - Him
  5. Clean - Him
  6. Hang Clean - Him
  7. Snatch - Me
  8. Pendlay Rows - Even

Favor Bodybuilder - 4 Favor Powerlifter - 4 This one is good to go. Do you think straight leg deadlifts would be to hard to judge?

Squat:

  1. Squat - Even
  2. 2 second pause squats - Even
  3. Front Squat - Even
  4. Low Box Squat - Me
  5. Overhead Squat - Me
  6. Zercher Squat - Even

Favor Bodybuilder - 0 Favor Powerlifter - 2 Even- 4

He has an advantage on press, he beat me last time on squat but I have made improvements, Deadlift I should win if the rep range is 1 or 3.

How many powerlifting meets have you done? And how many bodybuilding shows has this guy accomplished? Why not also have a bodybuilding portion to make things equal?

^ Or why not call this thread douche vs douche round two - the douchening?

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:
^ Or why not call this thread douche vs douche round two - the douchening?[/quote]
Pretty much, why are you trying to outlift a bodybuilder? Being strong isn’t even his main goal, if it’s even a contest you’ve lost.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
How many powerlifting meets have you done? And how many bodybuilding shows has this guy accomplished? Why not also have a bodybuilding portion to make things equal?[/quote]

I am going to do my first meet in Dec or Jan. I am not sure how many meets he has done in bodybuilding. This whole thing started by the question “who is stronger”. I think it is hard to quantify. He said he is stronger than me and I think I am stronger than him. I looked at your strongman post t3hpwnisher . . . awesome job. How can you tell if someone is stronger? So I asked my friend who is a strength coach at a high school and he said push, pull, squat heaviest weight at the rep range is the strongest. I would out total him in a powerlifting meet. He would look better doing his bodybuilding stuff. The question is who is the strongest. If yall have a idea better than this one let me know.

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:
^ Or why not call this thread douche vs douche round two - the douchening?[/quote]

Your choice doesn’t make any sense. I think I will stick with my choice.

[quote]tylerkeen42 wrote:

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:
^ Or why not call this thread douche vs douche round two - the douchening?[/quote]
Pretty much, why are you trying to outlift a bodybuilder? Being strong isn’t even his main goal, if it’s even a contest you’ve lost.[/quote]

I am trying to outlift a bodybuilder because he thinks that he is stronger than me and I said “ok lets see”. Last year he beat me by 5 pounds. Since it was close last year and I have been training hard I think I am stronger this year. He thinks that if he is bigger than everyone else he is also stronger. He told me he was stronger than me, last year he was, this year I am going to beat him. He told me he does strength training too, so on May 9th we will see.

[quote]Max8950 wrote:
I am going to do my first meet in Dec or Jan. I am not sure how many meets he has done in bodybuilding. This whole thing started by the question “who is stronger”. I think it is hard to quantify. He said he is stronger than me and I think I am stronger than him. I looked at your strongman post t3hpwnisher . . . awesome job. How can you tell if someone is stronger? So I asked my friend who is a strength coach at a high school and he said push, pull, squat heaviest weight at the rep range is the strongest. I would out total him in a powerlifting meet. He would look better doing his bodybuilding stuff. The question is who is the strongest. If yall have a idea better than this one let me know. [/quote]

I appreciate the accolades. In truth, it sounds like you are being a little overly generous in your usage of the terms “powerlifter” and “bodybuilder”. If you have never powerlifted before, I don’t understand how you feel justified in deeming yourself a powerlifter, and based on the videos you posted, I can’t imagine this guy actually bodybuilds. This sounds like a competition between two friends that lift weights, which sounds like fun, but if you are open to better ideas, I would say focus on becoming a better powerlifter for your first meet, and just show up the day of this comp and have fun. Time and energy spent on this is time and energy NOT spent becoming a better powerlifter.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Max8950 wrote:
I am going to do my first meet in Dec or Jan. I am not sure how many meets he has done in bodybuilding. This whole thing started by the question “who is stronger”. I think it is hard to quantify. He said he is stronger than me and I think I am stronger than him. I looked at your strongman post t3hpwnisher . . . awesome job. How can you tell if someone is stronger? So I asked my friend who is a strength coach at a high school and he said push, pull, squat heaviest weight at the rep range is the strongest. I would out total him in a powerlifting meet. He would look better doing his bodybuilding stuff. The question is who is the strongest. If yall have a idea better than this one let me know. [/quote]

I appreciate the accolades. In truth, it sounds like you are being a little overly generous in your usage of the terms “powerlifter” and “bodybuilder”. If you have never powerlifted before, I don’t understand how you feel justified in deeming yourself a powerlifter, and based on the videos you posted, I can’t imagine this guy actually bodybuilds. This sounds like a competition between two friends that lift weights, which sounds like fun, but if you are open to better ideas, I would say focus on becoming a better powerlifter for your first meet, and just show up the day of this comp and have fun. Time and energy spent on this is time and energy NOT spent becoming a better powerlifter.
[/quote]

True. thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to my first meet. The may comp will be fun too.

OP, most of these lifts are in the realm of powerlifting. That’s not a bad thing but do you want to beat him and have him lined up with the excuses about the lifts being in your favour?

I don’t thnk so, you want to beat him on his turf, at his game. I recommend adding some tri kick backs and hip abduction movements into this one.