T Nation

Powerlifter Sprinting

Whats up everybody, I am Jonnie Candito, and I’m a raw powerlifter/weightliter. I just wanted to share a video of what I do for conditioning. I long jumped in college before focusing this year entirely on lifting. I believe that sprinting has been one of the factors that helped me squat 3x bodyweight raw because of the flexibility/power/weight loss effects. Let me know what you guys think, thanks

Good post, I think actual “athletic” movements get overlooked in the pursuit of just pure strength without developing some kind of base.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Good post, I think actual “athletic” movements get overlooked in the pursuit of just pure strength without developing some kind of base.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more. I was a long jumper in college for 2 years and got my squat up from 390 to 475 in one year while training for track. I believe out of all things that the hip flexor strength from dynamic movements helps the most.

one of the downfalls of a lot of strength athletes I see is that they played sports in the past, then totally give up on plyos/sprints and JUST lift heavy after they graduate. Those are the same guys I see getting injured because they are so stiff