Powerlifter-Friendly Gym in Little Rock?

[quote]dumbbellhead wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
Another good sign is if it is a strip mall. What can I say, I was desperate.

You gym-whore.[/quote]

That I am. I will float from gym to gym just to get what I want and leave for another gym before I have to make a commitment. But man, the feeling of being in anew gym, exploring it’s boundaries, getting to know all about it, that’s the best part. Going to the same old gym day after day, night after night…that’s not me.

Wait a second there are some other powerlifters in NWA?!?!?!? Where do you guys lift at? I have been here a year and a half and have had no luck finding powerlifting gyms or other guys to lift with. I am up in Rogers, but I will drive to work out with a decent crew in a decent gym.

Holy heck, there are other PLers in the NWA??? I have been here for a year and a half and couldn’t find any PLers or gyms to train at. Where do you guys train? I am willing to travel for a decent crew and/or gym…

I worked with a crew in Fayetteville on campus for a bit. Now, I’m a solo due to my work schedule.

I workout at Summerhill mostly. They had a facility in Rogers and Fayetteville, so I would hit the one in Rogers at lunch and Fayetteville after work. It’s not a great gym, but there aren’t a whole lot of people that workout over there, so I can do what I want.

There are quite a few plers that go to the wal-mart gym and that facility is pl freindly. But, it gets CRAZY busy over there from what I here.

I would love to have a crew again, cause I HATE loading my own weights :smiley:

I wish my work let me train with a crew. I work fulltime during the week days. I have a fulltime job on the weekends at night as well and I work part-time during the week in the evenings at another job.

I work about 100 hours a week sometimes more.

I workout when I can.

I wish my work let me train with a crew. I work fulltime during the week days. I have a fulltime job on the weekends at night as well and I work part-time during the week in the evenings at another job.

I workout when I can.[/quote]

I know the feeling. I don’t get much over 80/week, but with a wife and kids, honey-do’s, and yard work that puts me at about 4 hours of sleep a day sometimes.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
dumbbellhead wrote:

I workout when I can.

I know the feeling. I don’t get much over 80/week, but with a wife and kids, honey-do’s, and yard work that puts me at about 4 hours of sleep a day sometimes.
[/quote]

Absolutely. We have a 10 month old and another on the way and that eats up a lot of the “downtime” that I get. But, hell, any progress in the gym is good progress.

I work out at the Wal-Mart gym and it is not bad at all. There are 2-3 of us powerlifters there, but we all work out at different times. What gyms have you found around here that are good? I know Benton County Barbell hosts some meets, but ironically, they really aren’t a PL-type gym.

The best place to workout over all is if you can get into the Razorbacks weight room. Very nice facilities. There used to be a “Razorback Gym” that was 24hr and we would really get crazy in there.

Fuse, Fuel, Pulse, some of the World Gym’s are very unfriendly towards even breathing loudly. As you can see, that is a majority of the facilities here. Way out Wedington Rd, there is a 24HR fitness that was fairly cool. They let me crash there place over the holidays for free. But, it’s not very big (one squat rack, two benches, and other stuff).

I choose where I want to workout by the gyms popularity; the less popular the better. All I need is a squat rack, a bench , and plenty of 45’s for me to leave laying around!

Got ya. There are a couple of great gyms in Russellville if you can stop on your way down or way back. They are just off 40.

Is it Jamie…(crap i forgot his last name). Lifts with the Top Hogs place? I met him at a meet down there. They are some really good guys and strong as crap. Frick, I can’t think of his last name.

If I skip my brother’s wedding, I will be doing a meet down there that Jamie or Terry Tucker is putting on in August.

McDougal! That’s it, Jamie McDougal.

Yeh he’s a beast. From powerliftingwatch.com

Jamie McDougal (181) bench pressed 440 pounds raw on Saturday at the SPF Arkansas State Powerlifting and Bench Press Championship in Russellville, Arkansas. The lift ranks McDougal third on the Powerlifting Watch Lifter Rankings. He ranks first at 165. McDougal hit the lift on a fourth attempt, after a successful third of 420 pounds.

Yeh he’s a beast. From powerliftingwatch.com

Jamie McDougal (181) bench pressed 440 pounds raw on Saturday at the SPF Arkansas State Powerlifting and Bench Press Championship in Russellville, Arkansas. The lift ranks McDougal third on the Powerlifting Watch Lifter Rankings. He ranks first at 165. McDougal hit the lift on a fourth attempt, after a successful third of 420 pounds.
[/quote]

Yeah, his dl is in the 6’s as well. But, I think Jeff Phillips is the most impressive lb for lb. He’s in the 140-whatever or 150-whatever weight class and has a 5+squat and dl.