T Nation

Powerful Image: Slam

Slams? Looks like he got caught in a flying armbar.

[quote]YourXLNS wrote:
Lightweight TFA Champion Toby Grear, trained by Chad Waterbury, slams his opponent into the ground

Slams? Looks like he got caught in a flying armbar.
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote]YourXLNS wrote:

Slams? Looks like he got caught in a flying armbar.
[/quote]

Actually, it looks like he got caught in your garden variety armbar and is trying slam his way out of it. More often than not, that doesn’t work out so well for the slammer. Just ask Tim Sylvia how that approach worked for him versus Frank Mir.

The slam can be an effective triangle defense (Rampage-Arona, Hughes-Newton I), but it rarely works against an armbar.

Apparently you haven’t seen Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s technique for escaping an armbar. Ask Ricardo Arona about it…

Toby was in an armbar, and got out of it by picking the guy up and smashing him into the floor. Brutal power, and he won the fight.

I trained with Chad and Toby last week. Impressive stuff.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Toby was in an armbar, and got out of it by picking the guy up and smashing him into the floor. Brutal power, and he won the fight.

I trained with Chad and Toby last week. Impressive stuff. [/quote]

That’s one way out of an armbar.

It is, as others have noted, an extraordinarily risky defense and frequently stupid. Same thing with just yanking your arm out. Most of the time, standing up/yanking is exactly the wrong reaction – it extends your arm.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Apparently you haven’t seen Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s technique for escaping an armbar. Ask Ricardo Arona about it… [/quote]

That was a triangle choke, not an armbar.

Toby got caught in a nasty elbow lock early into the fight. I was sitting in the crowd, watching my client, as I saw his title flash before my eyes.

No problem, though. He simply picked up his opponent and slammed him to the ground to break the elbow lock - something he could’ve never done before he started my fight-specific strength and conditioning routine.

Risky? Of course! This is MMA! But for Toby, the choice was simple: get submitted or slam the guy and break the elbow lock.

Toby simply overpowered his opponent throughout the entire fight.

It was a great fight, and another great win for Toby.

The picture Chris posted was taken at Legends in Hollywood. That’s where I train Toby for his fight-specific strength and conditioning.

But not only do I train Toby for his strength and conditioning, but he also returns the favor by training me for my stand up game. The picture is of him taking me through some of my strikes.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
StevenF wrote:
Apparently you haven’t seen Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s technique for escaping an armbar. Ask Ricardo Arona about it…

That was a triangle choke, not an armbar.[/quote]

I thought so after I typed it, but I’m sure he would have done the same thing regardless.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I trained with Chad and Toby last week.[/quote]

Showoff!

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
No problem, though. He simply picked up his opponent and slammed him to the ground to break the elbow lock - something he could’ve never done before he started my fight-specific strength and conditioning routine.[/quote]

Showoff!

I apologise if I vented my jealousy in the wrong way…

I live a block away from Legends, do they allow viewing?

I can’t train due to an AVM a 1/4 inch into my brain: cervical spinal area. Liability is a bit too big for anyone to accept =p and I don’t blame them, but I miss the excitement.

Also, Chad I didn’t know you were out here, is this normal? Do you have a web site or something I can view? I had a car accident that left me with one leg being shorter than the other along with other lower back , hip etc problems and am looking for someone knowledgeable to maybe look over my form on some lifts etc.

Hmm, I guess I should have put this in PM’s sorry for the thread hijack.

I guess I will add, I have seen your client at Legends quiet a few times as I walk past day or night. If the hours he spends there are any indication, then ya he is a beast. hah.

FLYING ARMBAR! A regular Armbar would be on the ground while hanging upside down,to get to that position he would have to jump (fly) on the opponent.

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
FLYING ARMBAR! A regular Armbar would be on the ground while hanging upside down,to get to that position he would have to jump (fly) on the opponent.[/quote]

unless the guy he was trying to armbar picked him up…

[quote]YourXLNS wrote:
Lightweight TFA Champion Toby Grear, trained by Chad Waterbury, slams his opponent into the ground

Slams? Looks like he got caught in a flying armbar.
[/quote]

hahaha. i like how mma has gone so main stream. it is funny to watch the trend chasing fans at the bar when it comes on tv. most have no idea what they are watching but memorize the fighters names and shit to impress their buddies, who also have no idea about the technical and athletic side of the sport.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
mr_slick wrote:
FLYING ARMBAR! A regular Armbar would be on the ground while hanging upside down,to get to that position he would have to jump (fly) on the opponent.

unless the guy he was trying to armbar picked him up…[/quote]

Oh yes. I apologize for my assumption.

[quote]YourXLNS wrote:
Lightweight TFA Champion Toby Grear, trained by Chad Waterbury, slams his opponent into the ground

Slams? Looks like he got caught in a flying armbar.
[/quote]

oh! you are the guy who emailed me about “how the fuck do you know who i am and how i train!”

super gay.

my comment was a general comment and had nothing to do with you. actually, i was agreeing with you that others don’t know what they are talking about. they see a picture of a submission hold and call it a slam.

settle down cowboy.

Tuck in that chin please Chad…:wink:

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
The picture Chris posted was taken at Legends in Hollywood. That’s where I train Toby for his fight-specific strength and conditioning.

But not only do I train Toby for his strength and conditioning, but he also returns the favor by training me for my stand up game. The picture is of him taking me through some of my strikes. [/quote]