Powerful Image - 6/20/05

Who is the powerful image today? This guy looks like a bodybuilder, however, is clearly doing Olympic lifting. I’m confused… Oly lifters don’t have big arms…

beef

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Who is the powerful image today? This guy looks like a bodybuilder, however, is clearly doing Olympic lifting. I’m confused… Oly lifters don’t have big arms…

beef[/quote]

You mean not all oly lifters have arms like those. Like saying powerlifters are fat slobs, or all Asians know martial arts.

The PI of the day is impressive as it is a mix of what was being argued about the PIs a couple weeks back.

[quote]chubs108 wrote:
beefcakemdphd wrote:

beef

You mean not all oly lifters have arms like those. Like saying powerlifters are fat slobs, or all Asians know martial arts.

The PI of the day is impressive as it is a mix of what was being argued about the PIs a couple weeks back.[/quote]

Agreed…it IS impressive.

This is one the best Powerful Images. The guy has a good functional physique.

That’s Erwin Abdullah, Indonesia.
69kg class, C&J 180kg

[quote]basementD wrote:
This is one the best Powerful Images. The guy has a good functional physique. [/quote]

Honestly, aside from the fact that he is standing near a barbell, how the hell would you know how “functional” he is based on his appearance alone? If he was standing normally in regular clothes, would that change your opinion? Does this mean the guy weighing 240+lbs isn’t “functional”? What exactly does this word mean anyway? How many guys do you know outside of pro-bodybuilding who are very muscular, relative lean, yet can’t “function”? I personally don’t know of too many. It takes a lot of “function” to get that big in the first place naturally.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
basementD wrote:
This is one the best Powerful Images. The guy has a good functional physique.

Honestly, aside from the fact that he is standing near a barbell, how the hell would you know how “functional” he is based on his appearance alone? If he was standing normally in regular clothes, would that change your opinion? Does this mean the guy weighing 240+lbs isn’t “functional”? What exactly does this word mean anyway? How many guys do you know outside of pro-bodybuilding who are very muscular, relative lean, yet can’t “function”? I personally don’t know of too many. It takes a lot of “function” to get that big in the first place naturally.[/quote]

By functional I meant a body that was built primarily from doing a strength sport. Not always, but usually you can tell if someone is a bodybuilder by looking at his physique.

I am not against bodybuilding, I just prefer strength sports like strongman events, weightlifting, powerlifting.

Seeing a guy pull a bus impresses me more than seeing a guy in posing trunks.

[quote]basementD wrote:
By functional I meant a body that was built primarily from doing a strength sport. Not always, but usually you can tell if someone is a bodybuilder by looking at his physique.

I am not against bodybuilding, I just prefer strength sports like strongman events, weightlifting, powerlifting.

Seeing a guy pull a bus impresses me more than seeing a guy in posing trunks. [/quote]

My point is, unless someone is standing there in posing trunks, you won’t know the difference. There are many football players who could pass as bodybuilders or damn close to it. Unless they are wearing shoulder pads, how would you know the difference? It all points to a myth that seems to be pushed around as if being into bodybuilding makes you less “functional” or as if you can’t be strong as hell. I think some are turned around on that. For one, you don’t get big without lifting some pretty heavy weights…unless large amounts of drugs are involved from day one. I don’t know too many weak people who can’t push a car with thighs over 30" and a chest over 50".

basementD wrote:

Seeing a guy pull a bus impresses me more than seeing a guy in posing trunks.

My point is, unless someone is standing there in posing trunks, you won’t know the difference. There are many football players who could pass as bodybuilders or damn close to it. Unless they are wearing shoulder pads, how would you know the difference? It all points to a myth that seems to be pushed around as if being into bodybuilding makes you less “functional” or as if you can’t be strong as hell. I think some are turned around on that. For one, you don’t get big without lifting some pretty heavy weights…unless large amounts of drugs are involved from day one. I don’t know too many weak people who can’t push a car with thighs over 30" and a chest over 50".

[/quote]

Prof,

I hear what you are saying and I agree to some extent, but let me clarify my position. I don’t like the bloated up look of bodybuilders today. I prefer physiques like Arnold’s or Haney’s. These guys weigh 240-250ish at comp time, not 300!!!

The strength sport guys are usually big, but not as deformed and freaky looking as todays bodybuilders. Being massive and strong looking is cool, but looking freaky isn’t cool, well at least not for me.

[quote]basementD wrote:
Prof,

I hear what you are saying and I agree to some extent, but let me clarify my position. I don’t like the bloated up look of bodybuilders today. I prefer physiques like Arnold’s or Haney’s. These guys weigh 240-250ish at comp time, not 300!!!

The strength sport guys are usually big, but not as deformed and freaky looking as todays bodybuilders. Being massive and strong looking is cool, but looking freaky isn’t cool, well at least not for me.
[/quote]

Which is why I wrote “aside from pro bodybuilders”. I train much like a bodybuilder, going for strength as a goal (maybe “powerbuilding” is a better term). It seems that many on this site seem to think that unless you are throwing kettleballs, you aren’t “functional”. This is false.

basementD wrote:
Prof,

Which is why I wrote “aside from pro bodybuilders”. I train much like a bodybuilder, going for strength as a goal (maybe “powerbuilding” is a better term). It seems that many on this site seem to think that unless you are throwing kettleballs, you aren’t “functional”. This is false.

[/quote]
LOL about the kettlebells. I know what you mean. I have known some guys that claim bodybuilders are not that strong.

If one examines things closer though, they will realize that a guy can’t get that big without pushing some respectable weights, which is what you are saying.

In hindsight, I probably should have used a different word instead of functional. This word has caused a lot of communication problems.

If you cant reach around and wipe your own ass, you’re not functional.

Prof why are you picking this fight? All the guy said was that this guy was functional and asthetic. It’s not like he said if you are aesthetic you cannot be functional. It is possible to be big and not as atrong as you look, and it is also possible to be small and a lot stronger than you look. The comment was that this guy looks to be big and strong.

This is exactly why we need more good troll posts. I sense the good prof is in need of a little verbal release and when no good idiots present themselves as fodder, he begins to dig a little for a good argument.

V

Chubs,

it was a joke! Weightlifters are not known to have big arms. If this guys was not standing on a platform with Oly lifting weights, I would not have guessed he was an OLy lifter. Oly lifters shy away from direct arm work. All of their lifting is done with variations on the clean and jerk and snatch. They may bench press a handful of times per year.

beef

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Prof why are you picking this fight?V[/quote]

I’m not picking a fight. It was a debate…you know, like what used to happen on the political forum before it got raided by cheerleaders?

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
If you cant reach around and wipe your own ass, you’re not functional.[/quote]

You would also have a very itchy ass but I don’t see what that has to do with being kettleball-free.

It all points to a myth that seems to be pushed around as if being into bodybuilding makes you less “functional” or as if you can’t be strong as hell.
[/quote]

Well it isn’t a myth if you define functional as being able to perform Olympic lifts, strongman events, or powerlifting.

Will bodybuilding make a person less functional? No, absolutely not. It’s just not the best way to train for an athletic event.

[quote]dcb wrote:
Professor X wrote:
It all points to a myth that seems to be pushed around as if being into bodybuilding makes you less “functional” or as if you can’t be strong as hell.

Well it isn’t a myth if you define functional as being able to perform Olympic lifts, strongman events, or powerlifting.

Will bodybuilding make a person less functional? No, absolutely not. It’s just not the best way to train for an athletic event. [/quote]

True, which why there is a need for sports specific training. However, like you said, it is not necessary for me to go roll logs in order to be functional when I can hit the gym and bench press a few hundred pounds.

[quote]Hrastnik wrote:
That’s Erwin Abdullah, Indonesia.
69kg class, C&J 180kg[/quote]

A friend of mine competes in the 69kg class. He has arms just like this guy and is ungodly strong. He used to wrestle in school and then took up powerlifting. He did that for a number of years before switching to Olympic lifting at 30-31.

He has placed third nationally, he competed in the last Olympic trials, and he places between 1st - 3rd in his class quite frequently.

In college, he set a record bench press of 391 at 148lbs (in the late 80’s).

Even though he rarely benches, he still does 315 for sets of five and can still hit 365 with little training. However, his focus is on O-lifting/competing, and he routinely snatches 115-125kgs and clean/jerks 140-150kgs.

He is the one I trained with when I also competed in Olympic lifting. Now, I train with him every now and then. As he has used my home gym for some workouts until his home gym is complete.

At 5’5", 69kg, he is thick and strong. Bastard.

[quote]chubs108 wrote:
Like saying … all Asians know martial arts.

[/quote]

Everyone knows that all Asians know martial arts. That’s why only the white nerds got picked on in school;)

DB