T Nation

Powercleans and 5/3/1

Ok, I know there was already a thread on this in June, but nobody really commented on it. So here it goes again. What day is best to incorporate powercleans into 5/3/1? I was thinking over-head press day... maybe as the 1st or 2nd assitance exercise. Should I follow the 5/3/1 template for powercleans or just do 3-4 sets x 3-5 reps? Just looking for some suggestions...

Since they are primarily a deadlift assistance exercise I would probably keep them there. Jim Wendler recommends putting them on either squat or deadlift day. They serve as a great warm-up as well. I always liked 5x3 with ramping weight but it doesn't really matter.

Wendler always says to do them before you SQ or DL and you can use the 5/3/1 percents for it as well.

Ive been using them as warmups on DL day.

I'm currently doing this too, using hang cleans as warm up for deadlifts. I also do hang snatches as warm up in the squat day. In the oh press day i clean the bar for each set because my gym have only one squat rack and its more awesome cleaning everything you put overhead.

Ok, now i know when to do them. I've also decided to use the 5/3/1 percentages. should i bump up 5 or 10 lbs/cycle?

Ok, now i know when to do them. I've also decided to use the 5/3/1 percentages. should i bump up 5 or 10 lbs/cycle?

lower body exercise, so you should be cool bumping 10 per cycle

ight thanks bro... cant wait till may so i can max out before football starts again.

I think out of all the lifts you can do in the gym, the power clean has the best carry over for football (and athletics in general really)...plus its just really badass to rip something off the floor then bring it up to neck level...keep us posted on the max man.

I've been bumping mine by 5 pounds. I'd look at it more in terms of your max for the exercise, not whether it is a lower or upper body exercise. For instance, I out bench my power clean by about 100 pounds (yes, I suck at the power clean). It wouldn't make any sense if I was bumping my power clean by 10 pounds every week and only bumping my bench by 5, which is what I'd be doing if I treated the power clean as a lower body lift and applied the 10 pound recommendation.

My read of the rationale behind the higher per cycle increases on the lower body exercises vs. the upper body exercises is that most people are going to have higher squat and deadlift maxes than bench and overhead maxes so bumping lower body exercises by 10 pounds and upper body exercises by 5 pounds will roughly give you the same percentage increase for each lift.