Powerblocks vs Ironmaster

I am going to set up a home gym and for dumbells I was going to get a pair of Powerblocks. I then came across the Ironmaster Quick-locks and now I’m not sure which would be the way to go.

Has anyone got any experience with either of these products?

The Powerblocks are $548 for the 5-90lb pair or $848 for the 5-130lb pair. The stand is an extra $119.

The Ironmaster Quick-locks are $429 for the base 5-75lb pair and an extra $179 for the add on to go to 120lb ($608 total for 5-120lb). The Ironmasters come with a stand.

Supposedly the advantage of the Ironmasters is that they have no plastic parts and can also be dropped etc.

seems like you could save alot of money and get some cooler stuff.

what about getting a barbell and some weight for like 200. make your own platform and voila- deadlifts, snatches, cleans, jerks, bent presses.

if you really wanted to blow some cash, go to elitefts and buy some kettlebells and stuff.

Hi
I’ve used Powerblocks many times over the years and IMO for weights up to 85lbs they’re fine.

I do find the add on blocks up to 125lbs are quite awkward. I’d recommend getting the 85lb block and then buy fixed dumbbells for anything over that.

Hope that helps
Chris

I’m also not familiar with the Iron Master DB’s but I’ve had Powerblocks for 10 years+ now and they’re still fantastic

i have had my iron masters for 10 yrs they are durable as hell,

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
i have had my iron masters for 10 yrs they are durable as hell,[/quote]

how do you change the weights?
is it as easy powerblocks?

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
seems like you could save alot of money and get some cooler stuff.

what about getting a barbell and some weight for like 200. make your own platform and voila- deadlifts, snatches, cleans, jerks, bent presses.

if you really wanted to blow some cash, go to elitefts and buy some kettlebells and stuff. [/quote]

He never said dumbbells are the only thing he’s buying. He probably has the other stuff you’re telling him to buy already.

Thanks for the replies.

I am also getting a squat rack, bar, bench, pulley (and hopefully GHR etc) but I figure that it would be good to have dumbells as well.

It doesn’t look quite as easy to change weights on the Ironmasters (they work using a locking screw) but it still looks pretty quick and easy (see the website for a demo).