T Nation

Power to the People

Has anyone read “Power to the People” by that Russian dude. Is it worth buying? Thanks guys.

No, I didn’t think it was worth the $35.00. The book was written almost like a Dummies book and mainly focused on the deadlift. I would suggest his stretching or ab books though.

Bam-Bam,I just read Pavel Tsatsouline’s book this past weekend. It is okay. Probably something to add to your collection of training information.

I agree with some of his thoughts about using low reps, heavy weights, using tension to increase strength, the various periodization plans (Wave, Linear, etc) and focusing on basic lifts (deadlifts, presses, snatch and clean pulls, etc).

The book is easy to read, the chapters are short, but I don’t agree with many of the things that he discusses. And you won’t get a workout plan outlined. He basically recommends that you work on the Deadlift and Bent press (or bench press) two days a week, never going to failure and only doing two sets.

So it’s probably something to read, it does have some value. But if you are going to spend $35 on a book, I recommend Ian King’s “Get Buffed” or “How to Write Strength Training Programs.”

Those two are well worth the money and you will learn a lot more!

I’ve also own Charles Staley’s book “The Science of Martial Arts Training.” Don’t let the title fool you. It is a great book about strength training, periodization, injury prevention and recuperation techniques. It contains a lot of good information and is similar to Ian King’s books. It’s only $19.95!

I’ve also ordered a book from Charlie Francis titled “Training for Speed.” I’m still waiting for it to come in, but I hear it contains some very good information.

If you have the money, I suggest buying and reading as much as you can. Every author has something to contribute. I’m currently on a reading frenzy and have been ordering training books left and right!

But in the end, it will pay off for my training!