Power Snatch Tips

CT, can you give me any basic tips on the P.Snatch. I was getting it down last night off the the blocks. Same sort of momentum as the high pull from the start on to the toes, or stay with flat foot?.. pulling the bar overhead at the end of the leg thrust, then bending the knees and getting under the bar at the end. I was watching the training vid as well.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT, can you give me any basic tips on the P.Snatch. I was getting it down last night off the the blocks. Same sort of momentum as the high pull from the start on to the toes, or stay with flat foot?.. pulling the bar overhead at the end of the leg thrust, then bending the knees and getting under the bar at the end. I was watching the training vid as well. [/quote]

The power snatch is very hard to teach online. If you are good at creating momentum with the high pull, you should be able to learn the power snatch fairly easily.

Do not think about finishing up flat footed or on your toes. Just focus on doing the more powerful launch possible when the bar is at the hips.

Just launch the bar with as much power as you can, and as soon as the punch is down, squat down into a quarter squat, spacing your feet a few inches wider when you land. You should not be jumping up, but you should JUMP DOWN as soon as the launch is done.

I’ve noticed that when you don’t think about the movement prior to completing , i.e. squatting, high pulls, p. snatch’s…the technique is always better and way more natural.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
I’ve noticed that when you don’t think about the movement prior to completing , i.e. squatting, high pulls, p. snatch’s…the technique is always better and way more natural. [/quote]

Especially in a movement like a power snatch, which is so explosive that there is no time to think. If you think you are basically putting the brakes on

CT, I got it down. With a some super light bar tech practice. The jump down as the bar hits the apex timing was weird at first but golden child now.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT, I got it down. With a some super light bar tech practice. The jump down as the bar hits the apex timing was weird at first but golden child now. [/quote]

YES, that is the key to efficient snatching… the “old school” technique had you jump up to create as much height as possible.That’s because back then you could not touch the bar with the body, so you could not use the modern technique using a bar sweep on the thighs and more hip/back extension which is more efficient for getting under the bar fast and precisely. To compensate, back then you had to use the triple extension to create more height to compensate for the slower squat under.

But now it’s all about launching the bar at the hips and jumping under it.