Power Snatch Over Power Cean?

@CT I was wondering why football programs are obsessed with the power clean and not the power snatch or snatch variations? I recall you mentioning that power output is mass x force x distance and it would seem by that logic that the biggest return would be teaching a form of the snatch.

I recall Poliquin mentioning that next to the penta jump the caber toss which mimics the pattern of a snatch can show one’s explosiveness. So besides teaching the power clean as an assistance lift for the clean and press or clean and jerk and baring some shoulder impingement or rotator cuff injury why not just always prioritize the snatch over the clean?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
@CT I was wondering why football programs are obsessed with the power clean and not the power snatch or snatch variations? I recall you mentioning that power output is mass x force x distance and it would seem by that logic that the biggest return would be teaching a form of the snatch.

I recall Poliquin mentioning that next to the penta jump the caber toss which mimics the pattern of a snatch can show one’s explosiveness. So besides teaching the power clean as an assistance lift for the clean and press or clean and jerk and baring some shoulder impingement or rotator cuff injury why not just always prioritize the snatch over the clean?[/quote]

The power clean comes much closer to mimicking the sport of football, in that you learn how to absorb weight with the power clean in a manner similar to the way you learn how to absorb a hit in football. The power snatch forces you to absorb a weight as well, but in a different way and with less weight.

power clean is also much easier to teach then the snatch

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

I recall Poliquin mentioning that next to the penta jump the caber toss which mimics the pattern of a snatch can show one’s explosiveness. So besides teaching the power clean as an assistance lift for the clean and press or clean and jerk and baring some shoulder impingement or rotator cuff injury why not just always prioritize the snatch over the clean?[/quote]

The power clean comes much closer to mimicking the sport of football, in that you learn how to absorb weight with the power clean in a manner similar to the way you learn how to absorb a hit in football. The power snatch forces you to absorb a weight as well, but in a different way and with less weight. [/quote]

this.

Personnally the power clean and power snatch have the same importante regarding training volume and frequency for football and hockey players: I use both equally.

One of the added benefit of the power clean is that it teaches you to absorb force coming in contact with your body. BUT the snatch do have the benefit of a higher power output.

That having been said, few high school/college strength coaches can teach the power clean properly… much less the power snatch!