Power Racks RANT

Why the hell are power racks so expensive! Their all like $600.00 or more. What is so complicated about making a power rack. Gawd!!!

go learn how to weld, buy the steel, buy the torches and stuff…then get back to me.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
go learn how to weld, buy the steel, buy the torches and stuff…then get back to me.[/quote]

Yeah, I would love too (sarcasm). I don’t have time to do that nor do I have any desire to. A power rack should cost about $300.00 if that. The design of the power rack is not very complicated. Especially compared to other equipment that cost much less.

[quote]provy07 wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:
go learn how to weld, buy the steel, buy the torches and stuff…then get back to me.

Yeah, I would love too (sarcasm). I don’t have time to do that nor do I have any desire to. A power rack should cost about $300.00 if that. The design of the power rack is not very complicated. Especially compared to other equipment that cost much less.[/quote]

So you don’t have the time or desire to learn to weld (and you have to be really really good to make a nice commercial rack)…and yet you bitch about the price?
WTF, dude.
$300 MIGHT pay the guy’s time.
Do you know how much good steel tube is now? I don’t actually at this moment, but I know it’s steep.
Now add in the time spent dressing it so the pins or crossbars slide easily…and you’ve gotten pricey.
Go over to EliteFTS.com and tell Dave Tate his racks are overpriced. Even better, go find Dave somewhere and get in his face about it. Have someone there with a vid cam though.

It costs money to be a welder, and run a welding shop. Take a picture from Elite to a local shop and say you want one just like it, specify the nice hard steel etc, and tell the guy you want it done for $300 tops.
If he can do it for you and will…you’re fucking golden. My guess is you might get away without an acetyline torch up your ass.

[quote]provy07 wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:

Yeah, I would love too (sarcasm). I don’t have time to do that nor do I have any desire to. A power rack should cost about $300.00 if that. The design of the power rack is not very complicated. Especially compared to other equipment that cost much less.[/quote]

in your opinion why should it only cost $300, btw?
Cause you’re such a damn expert here…

Joe, this will be a surprise, but I’m kind of with you on this one…

I’d just say that the price is what it is because that’s a competitive price that allows the companies making them to see a bit of profit.

I suppose it sucks not being able to afford what you want, but hey, that doesn’t mean the price is wrong.

Hey, I think he was just asking a question about the price. He’s not trying to date your sister. Relax buddy.

[quote]vroom wrote:

I’d just say that the price is what it is because that’s a competitive price that allows the companies making them to see a bit of profit.
[/quote]

If you want a power rack for around $300 check out this site:

http://www.powertecfitness.com/gallery/powertec-fitness_p_pr.htm

They sell it for $350.

I paid 200 for mine.A body solid that also came with a cable unit.

Try the classifieds.

If a power rack is good, then its no problem getting one that is used.

here is a little tip for getting really good deals on equipment-place a “WANTED TO BUY” ad in your local newspaper-sometimes the smaller, local paper works better than the larger, city paper-its also cheaper.

tons of people read the wanted to buy-your phone will ring off the hook with people who have some piece of equipment in their garage-you will often get more than you bargained for, ie, other equipment other weights. I have gotten calls asking if I would just pick the equipment up for free-just because the person wanted to get rid of it.

Keith Wassung

[quote]provy07 wrote:
Why the hell are power racks so expensive! Their all like $600.00 or more. What is so complicated about making a power rack. Gawd!!![/quote]

Most of it is material costs. Go out and price the materials it would cost you to make an exact replica to the one you’re looking at. It should make you feel better about the price.

Why not use some beefy lumber(like railroad tie size) for the rack and use 1" round bar for the pins and stuff? You can do all the machining, no welding, and it may actually cost around $300. Just make sure you fasten it right, because I don’t want you to die.

[quote]vroom wrote:

I suppose it sucks not being able to afford what you want, but hey, that doesn’t mean the price is wrong.[/quote]

Why would it surprise me?

You’re not a total dope!
:wink:

all steel is not equal.
what’s the difference between a $10 knife and a $100 knife eh ?

[quote]mikek wrote:
Hey, I think he was just asking a question about the price. He’s not trying to date your sister. Relax buddy.[/quote]

yeah, and I answered him, then he saw fit to say he doesn’t have the time or interest in learning the skill to make it, but he can still bitch about paying the guys that do.
That’s what bugs me.
He can date my sister…if I had one.

I love people with that attitude. No clue what so ever about what it takes to do something, then bitching about the price. When I did tree work I would run into this all the time. People trying to knock down the bid and minimize the skill level. When they say the magic words-“I can do that myself then” I’d just walk away. A couple weeks and a few broken bones or a crushed house later- They would call. And Pay too!

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
I love people with that attitude. No clue what so ever about what it takes to do something, then bitching about the price. When I did tree work I would run into this all the time. People trying to knock down the bid and minimize the skill level. When they say the magic words-“I can do that myself then” I’d just walk away. A couple weeks and a few broken bones or a crushed house later- They would call. And Pay too!

[/quote]

you did tree work?
Cool.
I know a guy who does, and he won’t even roll the trucks out for less than $400, and he gets over $100/hr. Between the tools and equipment and insurance and risk, not to mention that it’s plain damn hard work…you can’t do shit for less.
I’m a painter, and I see a lot of it.
“how much per hour? Well I can do that…”
Then they have to spend the next 4 or 5 weekends doing it, house torn apart or whatever, and they call the next time.
I love when we go to a house where the husband has been promising to either do it or finish it for a long time…until SHE gets pissed.
Most people who build stuff or do stuff aren’t trying to rip you off. They only want to get paid…and when you treat them like they’re ripping you off, it pisses us off.
That’s why I reacted the way I did.

You get what you pay for, but here are some basic power racks that work. They’re not built as nice as the high-end ones, but they’re functional.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/

Bill Starr wrote an article about Power Racks in which he stated that virtually all high end power racks were constructed with far more strength than would ever be needed and that for 99% of the people who lift-an economy rack would suit them just fine.

Ding ding ding. Winner!

[quote]Keith Wassung wrote:
Bill Starr wrote an article about Power Racks in which he stated that virtually all high end power racks were constructed with far more strength than would ever be needed and that for 99% of the people who lift-an economy rack would suit them just fine.

[/quote]

He also wrote an article in which he said overtraining was really beneficial too.
Bill Star is one of my favorites, but lets not get crazy.

My machine was 300-400$. It has 2 pulleys(adjustable), a power rack, and a bench with leg extension and preacher bench on it. Got it from sports authority!