T Nation

Power Rack for Shoulder Presses?

So is it customary to use the power rack for standing shoulder press/ push press…or where else would these be done if rack is occupied by a curler who wont leave?

Use dumbbells?

[quote]Nizeke wrote:
So is it customary to use the power rack for standing shoulder press/ push press…or where else would these be done if rack is occupied by a curler who wont leave?[/quote]

find an empty, low traffic bit of floor.
then just powerclean the bar into position.

it doesn’t work in small crowded gyms very well, but it works for me.

I usually train when its quiet, so I stand with one leg either side of the bench on the bench press station, clean it from the pins and do my presses from there (anyone else do that?).
The power rack at my gym has bars across the top so unless i stand with a really wide stance, i cant get to full extension without hitting them.

obviously if there is some guy curling in the power rack then the bench at your gym probably has a line of people waiting to use it so my way wont help you much.
As miroku said, if there is a spare bar and a spare spot of floor, just clean it from the floor and do them there.

I do my BB shoulder presses on the outside of a power rack.

I set the pins at the appropriate level, grab the bar, and push up against the rack the entire time. I.e., I don’t do a walk out, I just run the bar right up the rack.

I have a bad shoulder and this seems a bit safer. Almost like a smith machine.

Work in with him.

GoodLife in Toronto generally has noone interesting in squatting, so it’s free most of the time, haha.

depends on the club but some of them do suck.

which one do you go to?

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
Nizeke wrote:
So is it customary to use the power rack for standing shoulder press/ push press…or where else would these be done if rack is occupied by a curler who wont leave?

find an empty, low traffic bit of floor.
then just powerclean the bar into position.

it doesn’t work in small crowded gyms very well, but it works for me.[/quote]

That’s what I did. The gym I went to had an 8’ ceiling above all the power racks so unless I wanted to punch some holes in the ceiling, I had to do them in the middle of the joint.