Power Rack for B-Day!

I will say that the only feature I really don’t like on this rack is adjustable bar rests (I don’t know if there is some other term for this). At the gym I use now, the rack has a series of grooves or catches from top to bottom, which means that you don’t need to worry about missing the pins when you try to re-rack your weight, nor do you have to move anything when you go from one exercise to another. It isn’t a “make or break” sort of thing, just a minor inconvenience.

E-man,

[quote]E-man wrote:
I know a lot of you guys don’t like gyms for a multitude of reasons but I find it hard to get amped working out at home. I pretty much pump myself up all day thinking about the gym so when I finally get there I literally run to the weights. When I had equipment at my house it was kina like working at a gym all day. The last thing you want to do is be there any longer working out. Same thing with home gyms, after walking by it and seeing it all day the magic kind of wears off. Am I the only one?[/quote]

I train at home for 2 reasons: It’s a lot cheaper and you can’t escape the weights. It has its drawbacks (no partner, no spotter, playing it safe…), but I just train more regularly. Also, since I’m with my shiny new employer, I have free (and acceptable) gym at work. So now, there’s no escape, not even when I have to work longer.

Makkun

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I will say that the only feature I really don’t like on this rack is adjustable bar rests (I don’t know if there is some other term for this). At the gym I use now, the rack has a series of grooves or catches from top to bottom, which means that you don’t need to worry about missing the pins when you try to re-rack your weight, nor do you have to move anything when you go from one exercise to another. It isn’t a “make or break” sort of thing, just a minor inconvenience. [/quote]

Had the same complaint with my Tuff-Stuff half cage. I ordered a pair of “Gun-Rack” style bar catches from some place (can’t remember the name) and then bolted the catches to the uprights. I had to do a couple of modifications to get the catches to not interfere with the adjustable safety bars. Now I can rack the bar anywhere along the uprights.

Is the rack at this link the same rack you just got?

It’s nice, and not very expensive at all…

And if it’s the same one you have, i’m glad to hear about it’s quality.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I will say that the only feature I really don’t like on this rack is adjustable bar rests (I don’t know if there is some other term for this). At the gym I use now, the rack has a series of grooves or catches from top to bottom, which means that you don’t need to worry about missing the pins when you try to re-rack your weight, nor do you have to move anything when you go from one exercise to another. It isn’t a “make or break” sort of thing, just a minor inconvenience. [/quote]

No this has holes. The one I think you’re talking about is a slide mechanism where it it has sleeves wrapped around the supports.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
No this has holes. The one I think you’re talking about is a slide mechanism where it it has sleeves wrapped around the supports.[/quote]

Yes, I’m talking about the holes. I have this rack. You have to pull the bar rests out from the holes and reposition them wherever you need them at the moment. The gun-rack style requires no adjustment, doesn’t stick out as far, and works better if you can’t lock out on a rep.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
No this has holes. The one I think you’re talking about is a slide mechanism where it it has sleeves wrapped around the supports.

Yes, I’m talking about the holes. I have this rack. You have to pull the bar rests out from the holes and reposition them wherever you need them at the moment. The gun-rack style requires no adjustment, doesn’t stick out as far, and works better if you can’t lock out on a rep.[/quote]

I read your post as you like the holes-rack better not the slideguide-rack one.

Nice!!

My wife and kids workout at home as well, my kids in fact have been exposed to the iron since they could walk. By the time they were 10, they knew how to Deadlift, Squat, Bench and C&P as well as the the other accessory exercises :slight_smile: The only thing is they are not motivated to be consistent enough, That too is changing as they also realize the importance of being healthy and have seen the results of consiistency, my daughter is 15 and my son is 16. Sorry for dragging on about it, from one family man to another, this is fantastic.

That’s excellent, congrads, looks like a good rack. And it should last longer than you and get passed on to your great grandkids. Who no doubt will laugh at it because they’ve got the new magnetic resistance free weight system with programmable resistance curves and connection to computer games.

I’m looking for a rack in about 8 months and I like the features on that one.

[quote]FamilyMan wrote:

Note: this is not bragging. Nobody else cares because they don’t know what a power rack is. Celebrate with me!

Happy Birthday to Me![/quote]

I know what you mean! I asked for a squat rack for every holiday/gift receiving moment for the past 3 years (still haven’t gotten it, though). I’m pretty sure most of my relatives still think a squat rack is the cabinet that goes over a toilet.

Happy Birthmas day!

Might put a home gym together early next year. I’m think this rack with the lat attachment, my home made reverse hyper, a GHR, and an adjustable bench should have me set. Not including bars, weights, and dumbells of course. I’ll probably make a platform as well.

The cable is thicker than your what?

[quote]FamilyMan wrote:
Dr. Banner wrote:
Also, the cable is about twice as thick as my old IMPEX or WEINER.[/quote]

Sweet man…

How much was “half price” at play it again? If I could get a rack relatively cheap, I’d hop on that. I hate my gym.

FINALLY!.. A valid reason to consider getting married.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
Is the rack at this link the same rack you just got?

It’s nice, and not very expensive at all…

And if it’s the same one you have, i’m glad to hear about it’s quality.[/quote]

This does look like the same one I got. The link shows the NEW model for this year. Being used, mine is last years model and slightly different. The new bench has decline.