Power Rack Etiquette

[quote]J.W. wrote:
budlight1 wrote:
what is the point of those foam pads anyway? if people learned how to actually squat there is no purpose in it.

That foam pad is actually dangerous! It makes it easier for the bar to roll. The best way to pad for squats is to fold your gym towel in half twice and lay it on your shoulders. Oh yeah, and have huge traps.[/quote]

wear a sweatshirt.

when you’re done using the power rack, it should be a norm that you can leave a plate on each side. 99% of people use at least this much weight, and if not, just move the shit off yourself since you’re the exception. and don’t interrupt whatever other exercise i’m doing to try and teach me a lesson in gym etiquette.

not about the power rack, but on a related note-- don’t act like the gym police when i allow 100+ dumbbells to make a thud on the floor after a set, cuz then you just look like a bitch who’s just envious underneath.

fuckin old guys, man…

[quote]christine wrote:
I think that shrugs should only be allowed in the power rack if the person performing the shrug uses the power rack is not a light bulb.

The gym I go to has only one power rack… I don’t like sharing with Mr. Chicken legs period.[/quote]

Definitely! There should be a chicken legs clause: If your legs are grossly disproportionate to your upper body in a manner that makes you resemble a chicken, you may only utilize the power rack for squats until such time that your legs have undergone sufficient growth, at which time you may be permitted to utilize said rack for shrugs and pin pulls.

And how should a skinny person get bigger or stronger if only a certain size person should use the power rack?

These are the people who should be using the power rack more often.

They just need to learn how to use it correctly. Some don’t know where to look, and turn to magazines.

We could all be doing some people a favor by giving a little direction.

[quote]monteitis wrote:
when you’re done using the power rack, it should be a norm that you can leave a plate on each side. 99% of people use at least this much weight, and if not, just move the shit off yourself since you’re the exception.
[/quote]

The only problem with this is that people have to adjust the J-hooks to their height. It’s just easier for everyone if the bar gets emptied. Besides, I usually start my warm up with just the bar.

[quote]monteitis wrote:
J.W. wrote:
budlight1 wrote:
what is the point of those foam pads anyway? if people learned how to actually squat there is no purpose in it.

That foam pad is actually dangerous! It makes it easier for the bar to roll. The best way to pad for squats is to fold your gym towel in half twice and lay it on your shoulders. Oh yeah, and have huge traps.

wear a sweatshirt.[/quote]

i just deal with it i dont have huge traps i dont need a towel just hold the bar on your back right and you dont need anything. i get some reds marks on my traps sometimes woopee doo

yeah but when you tell people how to do anything you look like a jerk from my experience anyway

[quote]monteitis wrote:
…it should be a norm that you can leave a plate on each side. 99% of people use at least this much weight, and if not, just move the shit off yourself…

…don’t act like the gym police when i allow 100+ dumbbells to make a thud on the floor after a set…[/quote]

The 45 plate thing is reasonable, but I still remove all my plates.

I fully agree with the dumbbell thing. I make an effort to control them when I set them down so they don’t take someone’s foot off, but there aint no gentle way to set 100lbs on the floor. Luckily, I wourkout in a Marine Corps gym, so most of the guys are pretty hard. On the rare occasion I do get a dirty look, I just look at the guy like he’s a puss.

[quote]budlight1 wrote:
yeah but when you tell people how to do anything you look like a jerk from my experience anyway[/quote]

You’re right. I don’t have the personality to come across the right way to get these people to listen (where I don’t come off sounding like a jerk), but I’ve seen other people do it successfully.

I think even teaching by doing works well, and we don’t even have to say anything (though it probably takes longer to get the point across).

[quote]malonetd wrote:

The only problem with this is that people have to adjust the J-hooks to their height. It’s just easier for everyone if the bar gets emptied. Besides, I usually start my warm up with just the bar.[/quote]

Excellent point. The bar shall be emptied hence forth. Its just good gym etiquette to rack your weight when you’re through.

[quote]J.W. wrote:
malonetd wrote:

The only problem with this is that people have to adjust the J-hooks to their height. It’s just easier for everyone if the bar gets emptied. Besides, I usually start my warm up with just the bar.

Excellent point. The bar shall be emptied hence forth. Its just good gym etiquette to rack your weight when you’re through.
[/quote]

ughhh i suppose. yet another little annoyance that comes with being tall. i blame it on the flinstones vitamins.

Is it just me or does anybody else do military presses or any other overhead presses in the power rack. I like it because you don’t have to clean the weight to get it to your shoulders.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
budlight1 wrote:
yeah but when you tell people how to do anything you look like a jerk from my experience anyway

You’re right. I don’t have the personality to come across the right way to get these people to listen (where I don’t come off sounding like a jerk), but I’ve seen other people do it successfully.

I think even teaching by doing works well, and we don’t even have to say anything (though it probably takes longer to get the point across).[/quote]

yeah people normal follow what i do. i go to a comerical gym and no one did dead’s or squats till i started doing them know i see everyone doing it… it makes me tear-up inside haha

i push press in the rack sometimes

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
Is it just me or does anybody else do military presses or any other overhead presses in the power rack. I like it because you don’t have to clean the weight to get it to your shoulders.[/quote]

Yea, I do.

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
Is it just me or does anybody else do military presses or any other overhead presses in the power rack. I like it because you don’t have to clean the weight to get it to your shoulders.[/quote]

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring this up. I think it is reasonable to use the power rack to do heavy overhead presses, but you’d better be putting some serious weight up! I don’t condone pulling the upright bench in there and using it as a seated military press station. We’re talking standing, heavy-ass overhead presses!!

[quote]J.W. wrote:
bigscarymonster wrote:
Is it just me or does anybody else do military presses or any other overhead presses in the power rack. I like it because you don’t have to clean the weight to get it to your shoulders.

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring this up. I think it is reasonable to use the power rack to do heavy overhead presses, but you’d better be putting some serious weight up! I don’t condone pulling the upright bench in there and using it as a seated military press station. We’re talking standing, heavy-ass overhead presses!![/quote]

what do you consider heavy?

[quote]J.W. wrote:
monteitis wrote:
…it should be a norm that you can leave a plate on each side. 99% of people use at least this much weight, and if not, just move the shit off yourself…

…don’t act like the gym police when i allow 100+ dumbbells to make a thud on the floor after a set…

The 45 plate thing is reasonable, but I still remove all my plates.

I fully agree with the dumbbell thing. I make an effort to control them when I set them down so they don’t take someone’s foot off, but there aint no gentle way to set 100lbs on the floor. Luckily, I wourkout in a Marine Corps gym, so most of the guys are pretty hard. On the rare occasion I do get a dirty look, I just look at the guy like he’s a puss.[/quote]

I re-rack my weights more to set an example, one person sees you leave the power rack loaded with a plate and they think they can do that for everything, and next thing you know your spending half your time pulling 25 5lb plates off the bench. Besides it’s a little more lifting and builds disipline and respect.

Shit, the only people that should be stared at for making alot of noise are the morons that slam down their 30lb dumbells to the ground like they are 100lbs.

Its funny i’ll work out next to them doing twice as much as them, while they clank their weights together and slam them down, yet I dont make a sound. That little extra control gives more gains IMO.

Intressting. Interessting. Interrest… damn my first grade teacher.

Oh also it’s my belife that as long as your doing compound movements, or lifts that just can not be performed saftly from the floor or somewhere eles, use the rack. DL’s and pulls, CLeans, Squats, OH Presses and shrugs for us non light bulbs.

We only have one rack at my gym and only 3-5 other people besides my self even look at it.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
We only have one rack at my gym and only 3-5 other people besides my self even look at it. [/quote]

I think that’s how it is at most commecial gyms. If I see someone else who uses the rack regularly for heavy, compound lifts, and I see him in there curling, I don’t make a big deal of it. I’ve learned who uses the rack and don’t mind working in or waiting for people that truly bust their ass.