T Nation

Power Nap

Ok, I know that military, primarily special ops, use a method of power napping to recoperate as they can’t actually sleep on missions. I know this is in no way optimal rest. However, finals are coming up and I also have football and work and friends so I may be looking at very little rest(about 5-7 hours a night) and I think that a 15-20 minute nap would be very useful.

Unforunately I’m a very light sleeper, so I need to find a way to fall into a deep sleep while in these naps. If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated.

Another thing: what can I do about my sleeping issues? I’m sending in an order for ZMA, but is there anything besides that that I can do to improve sleep quality? My main issue is rolling around in bed constantly and constantly waking myself up in doing so, which leads me to believe I am a light sleeper.

Thanks for any input.

Melatonin puts you to sleep pretty fast. You only need 1-3 mgs, but you should probably only use it at night before bed. Also, my shitty apartment has high powered security lights pointed into my bedroom window so I use a blindfold. It works brilliantly for falling asleep when it’s not dark.

my suggestion for finals would be to cut back friend time. they will be there in a week and for the short term, your sleep is more important.

if you have general sleep issues, try melatonin as suggested or see about a prescription for ambien.

that shit kicks ass if you can devote the necessary sleep time.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
my suggestion for finals would be to cut back friend time. they will be there in a week and for the short term, your sleep is more important.[/quote]

This is all you need to know.

5-7 hours a night is “very little rest”?

Huh.

[quote]SGDerek wrote:

Huh.[/quote]

it is if you’re an athlete.

Does anyone know where the term “Power Nap” comes from? I’m just curious as to why it’s called that. Is it because it doesn’t last very long? Cuase if that’s why, I often have Power Sex.

[quote]swivel wrote:
SGDerek wrote:

Huh.

[/quote]

or a shift worker.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
texasguy wrote:
my suggestion for finals would be to cut back friend time. they will be there in a week and for the short term, your sleep is more important.

This is all you need to know.[/quote]

What they said.

The ZMA will make a huge difference, it did for me. Almost all athletes have a deficiency unless they supplement.
Naps are like everything else out there, they take practice. It may sound silly, but you just need to learn how to lay down, fall asleep quickly, and wake up in about 20 minutes.

My dad and uncles all worked on oil rigs, and can nap easily. One can sit in a chair, fall asleep and wake up exactly when he needs to, in 3 to 30 minutes.

Try something for white noise. My favorite is a fan. It blocks out other noise, but doesn’t make your own movements and breathing louder like ear plugs. I find it also keeps my mind from wandering too much like during dead silence.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Does anyone know where the term “Power Nap” comes from? I’m just curious as to why it’s called that. Is it because it doesn’t last very long? Cuase if that’s why, I often have Power Sex.[/quote]

clever

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Does anyone know where the term “Power Nap” comes from? I’m just curious as to why it’s called that. Is it because it doesn’t last very long? Cuase if that’s why, I often have Power Sex.[/quote]

You tried way too hard to make that funny.

I don’t think there’s really anything to power naps. Just lay down for 5-30 minutes and close your eyes. Even if you don’t go to sleep, I guarantee you’ll feel much better afterwards. One day I almost fell asleep behind the wheel, so I pulled over, closed my eyes for 5 minutes, and got back on the road. Kept my eyes open for the rest of the trip.

[quote]swivel wrote:
SGDerek wrote:

Huh.

[/quote]

Army ranger school is harder and longer than any athletic endeavor. 5-7 hours of sleep is not very little sleep. Maybe if you were to get 5 hours a night for a year.

One thing that you can use if you need a bit of a boost…

Before you go to sleep for your power nap, drink a cup of coffee or drink red bull. About the time you wake up is about the time the caffeine kicks in and you get a pretty good boost.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
swivel wrote:
SGDerek wrote:

Huh.

Army ranger school is harder and longer than any athletic endeavor. 5-7 hours of sleep is not very little sleep. Maybe if you were to get 5 hours a night for a year.[/quote]

yeah ok, it’s relative. i’m sure to a ranger 5-7 hours is luxurious. but to the athlete who’s instructed to get 8-10 hours per night, 25-35 hours of sleep in a week is less than half of what he needs. you’re right though, i would call that merely “little sleep” and not “very little sleep”.