Power Lifting

We wanted a power lifting program not so much to compete, but more to just do a normal lift routine off of. Does anyone have any good ideas where to look for this? thanks

If you’re just starting, you just need to get stronger (i’m in that boat as well). So forget all the fancy stuff and stick to lifting heavy shit frequently, as in the program in the link.

I have one nagging little problem with this routine. I think chins/pullups should be a core lift, not an accessory. Otherwise, this routine has been good to many beginners.

A few off the top of my head:
shieko
westside (standard template, WS4SVB)
3 day (squat-bench-dead) split
any normal upper/lower will work

Eric Cressey’s got a good program in a book out called Maximum Strength. I got it off Amazon when I got Rippetoe’s Starting Strength. Its oriented towards performance/strength rather than bodybuilding.

Its pretty big on warm ups, foam rolling, and mobility work. It also has a lot of corrective/preventative movements built into the program. For this alone, I think it is worth looking into.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I have one nagging little problem with this routine. I think chins/pullups should be a core lift, not an accessory. Otherwise, this routine has been good to many beginners. [/quote]

Why treat chins as a core lift if the goal is to get stronger on the three powerlifts?

They are simply one of the best exercises for upper body strength.

The Rippetoe routine uses bent rows, which definitely deserve to be a core lift, because it is the opposing movement to the bench press. He also uses the strict military press, but lists its opposite as an accessory. Like I said… I know I’m being a bit picky about it, but it nags at me.

Hey, did anyone else notice that the OP on the Rippetoe link is an ‘Elite Cardio Bunny’ at 5’9", 230lbs? And 18% BF?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

The Rippetoe routine uses bent rows, which definitely deserve to be a core lift, because it is the opposing movement to the bench press. He also uses the strict military press, but lists its opposite as an accessory. Like I said… I know I’m being a bit picky about it, but it nags at me.

Hey, did anyone else notice that the OP on the Rippetoe link is an ‘Elite Cardio Bunny’ at 5’9", 230lbs? And 18% BF?[/quote]

yeah, the real rippetoes routine uses cleans, which even kethnab (iirc) says. Rippetoe himself doesn’t believe in using the bent over row in his routine. The point of ripps is o develope a strong ass base in the 3 powerlifts with the fewest lifts possible and squats,deads,cleans,bench and overhead presses accomplish. The person the routine is for shouldn’t be concerned about not being able to do chins for back width, they should care about adding poundages to the squat, deadlift, bench. and clean.

I think you underestimate the deadlift and clean as back back builders. Most of my (while still not huge) upper back mass I’ll give almost 100% credit to deads and cleans, and a little credit to weighted chins.

How many times a week do you guys squat and dead lift?

[quote]ronin45 wrote:
How many times a week do you guys squat and dead lift?[/quote]

squat once, deadlift once.

What’s your routine look like?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Hey, did anyone else notice that the OP on the Rippetoe link is an ‘Elite Cardio Bunny’ at 5’9", 230lbs? And 18% BF?[/quote]

Actually he has always said power cleans.
NEVER rows. This was an internet thing where people were told that either get a coach for powerclean or put in BR.

I think the best way to define a strength program is one that takes in pulling and pushing from 3 directions: up, down and front.

For example:
Bench, press, and dips all do pressing motions in those 3 areas.
Pull up, power clean+ deadlift and bent rows are pulling motions in 3 areas.
That’s all you need for upper body.
Then the usual squat and stuff like power clean, etc uses back and legs.

You can try what i do:

Workout A:
squat
Bench
Deadlift
Pull ups

Workout B:
squat
Press
power clean
dips

On monday add:
turkish get up (all the way up and then back down)
Only do 3 sets of 1. On the last set use your free hand to pickup a dumbell of equal weight. I also use a barbell to make it harder.

Wednesday: Weighted situps and replace squats with front squats

Friday: Bent rows.

I find this will hit everything under the sun and then some.

Are you opposed to doing any olypmic lifts (i.e. snatchs) or do you just want to get stronger at the big three?

Day 1:

Squat, Bench, Press

Day 2:

Deadlift, Row, Pull down (or pull up)

Day 1:

Squat, Bench, Press

Day 2:

Deadlift, Row, Pull down (or pull up)