Power Lifter Scared of Losing Muscle- Muay Thai

Alright man I’m gonna give the cold tub a go. My tendons do tend to get sore. Mostly in my forearms and calves from striking. Again thanks for the idea.

deep tissue massage to go along with the cold tub help also

So I just completed my leg/ back day. Short duration. Heavy weight, low reps.

This is what I did:

Leg press

Sumo squat

Front squat

Barbell row

Rear delt flys…

And then the lights flashed in the gym and I thought there was a power outage. So I kept lifting. Then I realized the damn gym closes at 6 on Saturday’s. Weak…

Anyways I guess my other day should be bench and deads?

Moved to front squats

Then went to barbell rows

Sorry guys. Again on iPhone. Disregard bottom two lines lol.

How often are you going to try to fight for? If you’re planning on fighting once in a while your strength/muscle loss will bounce back very quickly.

[quote]UrbanSavage wrote:
I trained muay thai and BJJ for 4 years. The last 2 years of training, I started lifting for the first time. Over those 2 years, I experimented with different templates and ways to get stronger while still focusing on improving my BJJ and muay thai. The reality is that you can’t improve everything at once. You need to dedicate certain periods of time to getting stronger (further away from fights), certain periods of time to becoming more technical (around the beginning of training camp) and certain periods of time to getting your conditioning up to par (all through camp).

[/quote]

This.

I trained at Krudar for about a year and a half. Kru Darwin was on of Ajarn Suchart’s top students. The training at the two places I imagine would be very similar, so I know where you’re coming from.

I find it depends more on your food intake and natural genetics. I’m essentially a mesomorph and found that even though I was going through 2 classes at once some days, training 3 hours straight, I didn’t lose any muscle and in fact put on a bit more, hitting 190lbs at 5’9/5’10. At the same time though, I ate like shit (curry pad thai, mmm) and drank on the weekends so I had some spare calories available.

Body weight does not equal strength. If you fight at 190 you are going to fight a guy like 6’2 +, stop worrying about it

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:

Cant stress this enough!..I would take alot of what FightinIrish says to heart, dont know if the man can fight but he gives solid pointers and insight to boxing and combat competition.
I’ve obsorbed to alot of what he has to share here in the combat forum…and I am 5-0 as an amateur boxer(former football player btw). Not giving him credit for my success, but alot of what he has shared has gotten me prepared in the beginning, transitioning from one sport to another[/quote]

That’s a huge compliment. Thanks man. Really.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:

Cant stress this enough!..I would take alot of what FightinIrish says to heart, dont know if the man can fight but he gives solid pointers and insight to boxing and combat competition.
I’ve obsorbed to alot of what he has to share here in the combat forum…and I am 5-0 as an amateur boxer(former football player btw). Not giving him credit for my success, but alot of what he has shared has gotten me prepared in the beginning, transitioning from one sport to another[/quote]

That’s a huge compliment. Thanks man. Really.

[/quote]
just recognized ur a solid dude…I was lurking and obsorbing when you were giving pointers…lol

Get a room.

its better to be big. I’m actually faster standing and on the ground at 220 than I was at 170.

Eat heavy, lift heavy, be heavy…its more fun.

hahaha, that’s what I like to hear homie. Thanls for the comment.

we have fighters that come and train and can still put on weight. This is with rolling, stand up, and whatever other nonsense they do everyday. It just takes smart training and nutrition. From what I know the problem for the fighters has always been making weight as the tend to put on muscle when training right. They are not strong in comparison to the strength athletes but then again they make a living fighting not lifting.

As I do more reading on the subject, it appears to me that the problem is over doing circuit training is the main culprit. Martin Rooney wrote this article:

11 Myths of Warrior Training

In it he basically states that circuits are good twice a weak or so and the rest of your ‘non skill’ work should he dedicated to heavy lifting and sprints.

NEXT PROBLEM:

At my gym every training session kicks off with an hour of pushups, core conditioning, skipping, squats, chin ups, and circuit style striking.

Since I am naturally an ectomorph, my body is fast to shed fat and muscle. Literally one week of 4 sessions is enough to get my muscle to start leaving the country. So my challenge now is to see if my coaches are cool with me just hitting the conditioning circuits twice a week.

Honestly man, IMO if your coaches train winners then buy into their program. If they they don’t then train somewhere else.

@Batman730
Yes they train winners left right and center. They have numerous international fighters. One Of their dudes just came back from thailand/ china. He fought numerous fights in Thailand undefeated. He also fought in china and completely decimated the dude with a knee. Unfortunately that guys career was ended by that knee…

But yes, they train winners.

I guess you are right man. If they are winning, I should give it up and do what they want…
I just have a hard time ignoring a guy like Martin Rooney.

You’ve only got so many hours in the day. What you need is a coach to tell you what you need to work on, and focus on that.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
You’ve only got so many hours in the day. What you need is a coach to tell you what you need to work on, and focus on that.[/quote]

I have to agree on this one. If you’re paying a coach, you’re paying him to coach. If you ignore him, you’re just paying him to stand there and be frustrated. And if you’re not paying a coach, I can only conclude that you’re just not that serious.

[quote]BaTmAnJaCkEd wrote:
As I do more reading on the subject, it appears to me that the problem is over doing circuit training is the main culprit. Martin Rooney wrote this article:

11 Myths of Warrior Training

In it he basically states that circuits are good twice a weak or so and the rest of your ‘non skill’ work should he dedicated to heavy lifting and sprints.

NEXT PROBLEM:

At my gym every training session kicks off with an hour of pushups, core conditioning, skipping, squats, chin ups, and circuit style striking.

Since I am naturally an ectomorph, my body is fast to shed fat and muscle. Literally one week of 4 sessions is enough to get my muscle to start leaving the country. So my challenge now is to see if my coaches are cool with me just hitting the conditioning circuits twice a week.

[/quote]

If you are going to fight losing weight means you can make weight easier or fight in a lower weight class.

What is your priority?