T Nation

Power / Hypertrophy Set Up

has anyone had any success training like this. the method popularized by people like layne norton and the 3dmj guys.

an example routine.

Upper (Light)

Incline DB 4-6 x 6-10
Horizontal Row 2-3 x 6-10
OHP 2-3 x 6-10
Horizontal Row 2-3 x 12-15
Flies 2-3 x1 2-15
Tricep Extension 2-3 x 12-15
Bicep Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Lower (Heavy)

Squat 3-5 x 3-5
Deadlift 3-5 x 3-5
Leg Curl 2-3 x 6-10
Calf Raise 4-6 x 6-10

Upper (Heavy)

Bench Press 3-5 x 3-5 @
Horizontal Row 3-5 x 3-5
Chest Press 2-3 x 6-8
Vertical Row 3-3 x 8-12
Lateral Raises 2-3 x 8-12

Lower (Light)

Squat 4-6 x 8-12
Single Leg Work 2-3 x 6-10
Calf Raise 4-6 x 6-10
Leg Press 2-3 x 12-15
Calf Raise 2-3 x 6-10
Leg Extension 2-3 x 12-15
Leg Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Upper (Light) - Weak body part training day example

Horizontal Row 2 x 4-6
Horizontal Row 2 x 10-15
Vertical Row 2 x 10-15

there are quiet a few good natty bodybuilders running similar set ups.

your thoughts?

Looks like a basic light/heavy approach. I can't imagine you won't make progress with it, as long as you eat big to go with it.

I agree. If you want to specifically go for one goal or the other there are better plans. But if you want both and are at an intermediate/late beginner stage that is a great plan

Mtag666: I guess a better plan for strength solely would be 531 right? But if you add BBB assitance to it, it becomes an upper/lower split where you perform each lift heavy and light once a week. Sounds like the one above doesnt it? So does Boring But Big assistance make 531 a less efficient strength program?

Yea 5/3/1 is solid, and Madcows is great depending on what level you're at too. And I've done 5/3/1 like that as an upper lower and had decent success with it. If you want just use the 5/3/1 progression on your main lifts and then do your assistance like the program above lists.

You don't necessarily perform the lifts once a week with BBB. You can alternate so that you do the BBB work for the alternate lift.

IE:

A
5/3/1 Bench
BBB Press

B
5/3/1 Squat
BBB deadlift

C
5/3/1 Press
BBB Bench

D
5/3/1 deadlift
BBB squat

5/3/1 w/BBB work is still a strength program. It doesn't become less efficient with BBB.

Thanks for the feedback. One more question: If I replace hanging leg raises with chins/rows on squat and deadlift days, will I overtrain my back? If I don't then I will have more pressing volume than pulling. (531 and BBB pressing>only BBB pulling)

You are at zero risk of ever overtraining.

5/3/1 is not necessarily going to be better for strength.

Fuck Yes

Yes people have had "success" with it. Why are you asking, what do you mean by success?

Volume and frequency are good in this example. Two of the most important factors... You can modify these variables based on your goals and how you respond to training. An example of how to modify would be to further split upper body push and pull (decrease frequency) to their own session (so there would be 3 light and 3 heavy days) which would allow an increase in volume per session. Depending on individual recovery, a person may respond better to this plan, but making this decision would also depend on goals. This is just an example, and I am not suggesting it - just trying to explain the variables at play.

Mina, i have been running this program for the past month with the BBB assistance. My strengh os incredible right now. Make sure the BBB assistance isnt to heavy, this plan yoelds gains but also insane sorenes. I had to switch the BBB assistance to livhter variation because of the soreness. Looks like this.

A bench 5/3//1
DB press

B Squat
Sumo DL

C Mil press
Neutral DB press

D deadlifts
Front squat.

It has been working well for me, i also super set every press with 5 pull ups.