T Nation

Power Hooks

www.bodybuilding.com/store/cp/ph.html

anybody use these?
like em, hate em? pros, cons

thanks

they look like useless to me, seems to me someone was just to lazy to just get the dumbells off the ground.

[quote]ballsofsteel wrote:

anybody use these?

thanks[/quote]

I have a pair and I still sometimes use them for heavier sets. The advantage is that you can start your set with your arms mostly extended rather than starting from the bottom. This will allow you to use a bit more weight and your first rep won’t be as hard to get up. Another plus is that I would use the smith machine bar to hang the hooks from, thus not allowing people to squat in it :slight_smile:

Basically they’re a neat gadget but not necessary. Only really useful for low rep lifting.

if you have a wad of money that is just burning a hole in your pocket then go for it. a gym i used to train at years ago had a pair and they pretty much collected dust in the corner.

the effort to set the hooks up and lift the dumbbell up into the hooks is more effort than its worth. personally i would recommend getting a spotter to help you or learn to how use your knees to bump the weight up.

thats ok, i lift at home so they would be set up pretty much from the start, i was thinking of using them for low rep incline presses.

anybody use these?

thanks[/quote]

They’re good if you train at home and load your own heavy dumbells.

thats ok, i lift at home so they would be set up pretty much from the start, i was thinking of using them for low rep incline presses. [/quote]

cool. if you don’t mind spending the money, then go for it.

I have a pair of these and they are great. They go well with the plate loaded dumbell handles I have. I leave them on the handles most of the time.

bpeck

thats ok, i lift at home so they would be set up pretty much from the start, i was thinking of using them for low rep incline presses. [/quote]

To answer your question, they’re well-made and worth the money. You will thank yourself many times for having bought them.

They’re also good for overhead presses.

I’ve been using mine for over two years now and they are worth the money. I train at home and use them for heavy bench assistance work. I use a junk bar to hold the hooks and I load the dumbbells up while they are hanging. I’ve worked up to 160lbs. on each hook with no problem. They can hold weight. They are strong, can take abuse and the velcro is tight and strong.

I do these inside a power rack where I can adjust the junk bar height so it’s a natural lift-off just like in bench pressing. You lift them off to press and then re-rack them when done…easy. Yeah, I could bring the dumbbells up to me from the floor, but then I would be using a lot of energy to complete that task and I want to save it for the pressing - not setting up.

Also, I don’t want to drop that much weight on to the floor risking tearing up my rack, my equipment or something else. I guess one’s need for these would be based on training environment. For home use I think they are ideal especially if somebody is training without partners.