Power Eating...

I recently purchased a book called Power Eating, and while it is somewhat informative and usefull, i have a couple questions about it. The main problem i have with this book is the author seems to favor carbs way too much, it seems as though she is only goin for energy, she does give somewhat high recomendations for protein though, 1.6 g/kg, not that high but its a good start. What she says is that you really dont need a whole lot of protein, and its better to have less to force your body to use it more efficiently. She says that the excess protein can turn into carbs or fat if not used or there is too much, i always thought the excess was just excreted? What really happens? Anyone read the book? Thanks

Excess protein turns into carbs and fat? That’s the first time I’ve heard that one. I’m only a fireman, but my empirical evidence tells me that if I take in an excess of protein, I take big shits. If I take in excess carbs and don’t burn them off, over time i lose definition. Take it for what it’s worth.

Doesn’t sound like a book most of the people around here would keep.

You need protein. Lots of protein won’t hurt you.

You should check out stuff on this site by John Berardi. There are a ton of good nutrition articles. Go to the articles section on the front page and look in Nutrition.

[quote]Dnutz wrote:
I recently purchased a book called Power Eating, and while it is somewhat informative and usefull, i have a couple questions about it. The main problem i have with this book is the author seems to favor carbs way too much, it seems as though she is only goin for energy, she does give somewhat high recomendations for protein though, 1.6 g/kg, not that high but its a good start. What she says is that you really dont need a whole lot of protein, and its better to have less to force your body to use it more efficiently. She says that the excess protein can turn into carbs or fat if not used or there is too much, i always thought the excess was just excreted? What really happens? Anyone read the book? Thanks[/quote]

Too much of any macronutrient, including protein, can be stored as fat.

[quote]Dnutz wrote:
I recently purchased a book called Power Eating, and while it is somewhat informative and usefull, i have a couple questions about it. The main problem i have with this book is the author seems to favor carbs way too much, it seems as though she is only goin for energy, she does give somewhat high recomendations for protein though, 1.6 g/kg, not that high but its a good start. What she says is that you really dont need a whole lot of protein, and its better to have less to force your body to use it more efficiently. She says that the excess protein can turn into carbs or fat if not used or there is too much, i always thought the excess was just excreted? What really happens? Anyone read the book? Thanks[/quote]

I’ve not read the book, but let me make an observation.

First–excess protein will never turn into a carb. Yes it can be stored as fat–like any excess calorie can.

Second–the excess is not just secreted. You don’t simply over consume and just shit out the difference.

That being said though, I don’t feel her protein rec was all that far off–for the average human. Certainly, being a weight trainer, a slightly higher ratio may be more advantageous.
If my math is correct, that would be about .75g/lb. Not all that unreasonable.

I also believe in carbs. Starchier carbs are ok eaten as early in the day as possible. Complex carbs anytime. Processed carbs only directly after a workout. This allows you more available energy for your workouts as well as recovery.

Lastly you made no mention of fats. A very big concern for the metal player.

This is all base on maint. If your goal is to lose or gain you need to adjust accordingly

I don’t know anything on the book but from the sound of if I think you’re much better off reading all of John Berardi’s articlese (put them together and it’s a book).

Yea, ive read most of Berardi’s articles, thats the main reason i was asking, since he is a big advocate of high protein diets. The author is susan kleiner, pretty well know nutritionist, has her phd, rd, and has participated in a lot of clinical studies. But thanks for clearing it all up.

I guess the question is whether this book is written for a bodybuilder, an endurance athlete, or a plebe trying to take some fat off? I think it would make a difference.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

First–excess protein will never turn into a carb. Yes it can be stored as fat–like any excess calorie can. [/quote]

One word…GLUCONEOGENESIS. I haven’t read this book, but yes, protein can be converted into glucose. Yes, too much of any macronutrient can be stored as fat tissue. Yes, carbs and fats are just as important as protein. Anyone only worried about protein is missing some very basic concepts and needs to go back to bodybuilding 101. Many people are so quick to jump into some form of advanced nutrition, that they skip over the basics.

Everyone on this site, especially the old heads, should know what gluconeogenesis is. If you don’t just ask.

You need protein for muscle growth,but you also need energy.Protein synthesis takes alot of it.

Another good word De-amination. Your body will break down protiens into amino acids, then strip the aminos into basic carbohydrates, then re-alocate them as necessary. Thats one reason that any dietician who is worth his or her weight in anything will recomend some kind of macronutrient split.

How much does she lift???
Never mind. I already know.

TNT