Power Drive For Kids

I am looking for opinions and/or expert advice on the safety of Powerdrive for my nine year old son. He has a hard time getting fired up focused before wrestling and football games. Last year I started giving him Mountain Dew before wrestling matches just to compete with the alarming number of kids sucking on their asthmma inhalers right before and during matches. I would like a healthier and more effective alternative then soda. I just wanted to be sure of safety before I start screwing with my kid.

I cant comment on the safety of powerdrive for a child, but that really isnt my concern.

At 9 years old, children dont have much focus. Lack of attention is a typical trait for children. At this age, I dont think that competition should be so competitve that you must make sure your kid is “in the zone”. Simply learning the game and having fun should be enough.

Another thought I have is the long term affect of getting a child use to taking something before a game or an event to help him focus. I cant say that it WILL, but my concern is that if the child becomes accustomed to always using something prior to a sporting event, he may begin to feel that he must take it to win.

Maybe I’ve taken this a bit too far, but I just thought I’d give you my 2 cents. Good Luck

[quote]Jesse580 wrote:
I am looking for opinions and/or expert advice on the safety of Powerdrive for my nine year old son. He has a hard time getting fired up focused before wrestling and football games. Last year I started giving him Mountain Dew before wrestling matches just to compete with the alarming number of kids sucking on their asthmma inhalers right before and during matches. I would like a healthier and more effective alternative then soda. I just wanted to be sure of safety before I start screwing with my kid.[/quote]

Power Drive shouldn’t be used by anyone under the age of 18. Granted, all but one of the compounds are things the child would encounter in the diet already, but with the ginkgo biloba, I can’t recommend its’ use to anyone under the age of 18 and especially to a nine year old.

Jesse-with all due respect-I think you need to back off. I was a former two time all american wrestler and I can say that this situation does not sound too good. I wouldn’t even know where to start, but since you came on this forum asking for advice, I believe you have made yourself available for any type of comment.
This could easily turn into a holier than thou rant by me, so I will tread lightly here. I don’t know you, not a damn thing about you, but my first reaction when you said you wanted your nine year old to get more fired up for a wrestling match filled my gut reaction of disgust.
go over to the elite fts site and check out an article in the article section called “The unmaking of the athlete part II”. It is one of the best articles I have ever read in regards to the insanity of youth sports today.
then buy tudor bompa’s book “Total Training for Young Champions”. It will explain to you the importance of multilateral development, but more importantly, it will teach you about how young children simply lack the mental capacity to create the focus and intensity as well as the physical power and strength, to be realistically expected to excel in a sport such as wrestling.
Maybe you just really want your kids to do well and you really care about them alot. Like I said, I don’t really know you.
Then again, your post could easily have been interpreted in another, much more negative way, much like the initial reaction that I had.
If you take this the wrong way, then I will apologize for this post, but like I said my intial gut reaction when reading this was one of disgust. Maybe you have never been exposed to the information that I have, I don’t know, but in my honest opinion, you need an incredible paradigm shift in how you view your children and their sports development.

As a former kid that’s been in similar situation, I always got fired up more when Dad was showing interest in what I was doing. That was better than any “drug” that could possibly be given. At 9 years old it would be more important for him to know that you are there and that you are interested in what he did.

Also, if you are interested and he isn’t, then there ain’t a thing you can do to get him fired up. The secret would be to allow him to find something that he likes. And then get into it right along with him. Who knows, you may find something that you both like and enjoy and spend time together doing. That would be one hell of a bonus for both of you.