Power Cleans vs Speed Deads

If power cleans are already in your weekly routine, are speed deads necessary? I’m always looking to get my deadlift up, the two just seem fairly similar.

The mechanics are different, so if your goal is a bigger deadlift, than I would just stick with hammering technique with the speed deads.

They’re totally different.

The first pull in a powerclean is to get the bar in the right position to triple extend, thus it needs to be controlled and can’t be done too fast. It should also be done with a different body position (shoulders over the bar for starters)

Speed deadlifts are just like a regular deadlift. Except they’re pulled faster.

I’d go with speed deadlifts over powercleans for increasing my deadlift any day!

[quote]Tags wrote:

The mechanics are different, so if your goal is a bigger deadlift, than I would just stick with hammering technique with the speed deads. [/quote]

I agree, very different - if it is a bigger deadlift you want, train that specifically, and consider doing some off a box (good for starting strength, which is good for getting off the ground faster).

A stronger deadlift will help with a stronger clean, but if you are really deadlift-specific, skip the cleans.

Wow I was way off the mark on this one! Yeah, I guess I still don’t know enough about the mechanics of of powercleaning yet… Thanks!

Why not dimel deadlifts?

Dimel deadlifts are more of a reactive movement, aren’t they?

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Why not dimel deadlifts?[/quote]

Lets flip it…

Why Dimel deadlifts?

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Why not dimel deadlifts?[/quote]

IMO, you do speed deads to hammer technique and improve speed thru the movement. Dimel deads are done in a way that the mechanics are not nearly the same as a normal dead, and are meant to be higher rep/assitance like, IMO. If your gonna do speed pulls, I would suggest doing it in the same fashion you want to max your pull out at (i.e. conventional, sumo, etc. mixed, hook, etc.) If you wanna do assitance work, than do assistance work, but you need to know the objective of a movement and how it fits into your plan before you just start doing it.

Cheers,

Pat

There is some carryover, but the clean’s first pull isn’t done as fast as possible since it is only a preparation for the second pull. If you’re weak from the floor and looking to increase your deadlift exculsively, stick to speed deads. However, I think it can be affective in increasing lockout strength and can serve as a plateau buster when your deadlift gains halt. Furthermore, if you also have a goal of increasing your clean, by all means, do cleans.

[quote]Tags wrote:
hockechamp14 wrote:
Why not dimel deadlifts?

IMO, you do speed deads to hammer technique and improve speed thru the movement. Dimel deads are done in a way that the mechanics are not nearly the same as a normal dead, and are meant to be higher rep/assitance like, IMO. If your gonna do speed pulls, I would suggest doing it in the same fashion you want to max your pull out at (i.e. conventional, sumo, etc. mixed, hook, etc.) If you wanna do assitance work, than do assistance work, but you need to know the objective of a movement and how it fits into your plan before you just start doing it.

Cheers,

Pat [/quote]

Well said hockeychamp.

If you’re attempting to increase strength-speed for your deadlift, you should in my humble opinion be well…doing full range deadlifts. It really doesn’t make sense to be doing a different movement in this situation, you could also try reverse band deadlifts if your goal is to overload the lockout portion of the lift while still performing a full ROM deadlift.