Power Cleans Terrible Form.

Jim, I’ve added power cleans this cycle in an effort to build up the ol’ yolk.they are new to me and I’m working on form. Thus far it sucks and I can’t catch it in the proper front rack. Should I care? Just looking for big, beefy traps.

As long as you are able to catch the bar above your chest should still get great benefits. Took me a full year to catch properly but got lots out of the movement. If you don’t want to be an O lifter and just want to be more explosive and yoked pull away! Thus concludes my unsolicited non expert opinion.

[quote]Beara33 wrote:
As long as you are able to catch the bar above your chest should still get great benefits. Took me a full year to catch properly but got lots out of the movement. If you don’t want to be an O lifter and just want to be more explosive and yoked pull away! Thus concludes my unsolicited non expert opinion.[/quote]
Yeah I can get it to my shoulders just not racked on my delts. Just looking for traps and power.

I did them before deadlifts and my pull felt awesome and fast as hell.

You could always just ditch the catch and do high pulls.

There’s a video of Jim cleaning somewhere, it’s about as pretty as the back side of my unneutered dog. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d still look at improving your technique… Get some drills off YouTube to improve your catch. Knees, hips, knees is a good cue for the first pull, second pull and the explosive parts of the lift.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
There’s a video of Jim cleaning somewhere, it’s about as pretty as the back side of my unneutered dog. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d still look at improving your technique… Get some drills off YouTube to improve your catch. Knees, hips, knees is a good cue for the first pull, second pull and the explosive parts of the lift.[/quote]

I think this is the one you are talking about.

[quote]tsantos wrote:

I’d still look at improving your technique… Get some drills off YouTube to improve your catch. Knees, hips, knees is a good cue for the first pull, second pull and the explosive parts of the lift.[/quote]

I think this is the one you are talking about. One of my favorites

Best thing to make power clean more bigger and better form is do 1 speed rep 8 times, 1minute rest periods and about 65% of your current 1rm max. 2 times week.

but do you guys want to be yoked or yolked?

[quote]Sbender0711 wrote:
Jim, I’ve added power cleans this cycle in an effort to build up the ol’ yolk.they are new to me and I’m working on form. Thus far it sucks and I can’t catch it in the proper front rack. Should I care? Just looking for big, beefy traps. [/quote]

First of all, no one should do any olympic movement to get “yoked” or more muscular. You should do it to get stronger. When you do that, it turns into a “movement” and not a “muscle” - in other words, when it is done to get “yoked”, it becomes as ridiculous as a face pull.

Second, under that the “clean” that is being used today is NOT the clean of yesteryear. So while my form may suck, it still is much more of a clean that what you see today.

Third, as long as you are in NO danger of fucking yourself up, your form is probably OK. That’s the kicker. And that’s how someone who has been TRAINING for 30 years can get away with some fucked up form, not something I’d always recommend for everyone else. For example, you’ve seen the seizures that Crossfit promotes as lifting - don’t be that guy. Being ugly doesn’t mean being an idiot.

Also understand that there is a cadre of turds that think you need a PhD to do a clean or snatch - I am not one of them. Some general prep and some practice can go a long way.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]Sbender0711 wrote:
Jim, I’ve added power cleans this cycle in an effort to build up the ol’ yolk.they are new to me and I’m working on form. Thus far it sucks and I can’t catch it in the proper front rack. Should I care? Just looking for big, beefy traps. [/quote]

First of all, no one should do any olympic movement to get “yoked” or more muscular. You should do it to get stronger. When you do that, it turns into a “movement” and not a “muscle” - in other words, when it is done to get “yoked”, it becomes as ridiculous as a face pull.

Second, under that the “clean” that is being used today is NOT the clean of yesteryear. So while my form may suck, it still is much more of a clean that what you see today.

Third, as long as you are in NO danger of fucking yourself up, your form is probably OK. That’s the kicker. And that’s how someone who has been TRAINING for 30 years can get away with some fucked up form, not something I’d always recommend for everyone else. For example, you’ve seen the seizures that Crossfit promotes as lifting - don’t be that guy. Being ugly doesn’t mean being an idiot.

Also understand that there is a cadre of turds that think you need a PhD to do a clean or snatch - I am not one of them. Some general prep and some practice can go a long way.[/quote]

First, I am a moron who eats too many eggs.

Second, I’m seeing Crowbar on the 27th and that should add some size to any mans traps.

Third, thanks for putting things into perspective.

Definitely not the worst form I’ve seen. He just pulls the weight high enough to not need to rack it like an O lifter.