Power Cleans - Gatorade Commercial

Yuri Verkhoshansky:

[quote]erik-the-red wrote:
I did a screenshot of Halil Mutlu’s 155 C&J at the 1999 World Championships.

That’s as far as he “jumps.”

I read somewhere that focusing on the jump actually slows you down. It makes sense. The clean is so fast that if you think about jumping, you’ll cause a disruption.[/quote]

What’s interesting is that you can actually tell from the snapshot that he is already starting to pull himself under the bar.

While we’re posting you-tube videos,

Chakarov, being a beast.

And Pyrros, the best olympic lifter to walk this earth (IMO).

Also, here’s a slow motion clip of Naim Suleymanoglu (pocket hercules).

[quote]Taquito wrote:
It would make sense not to do full squats since linemen rarely get past lower than a slight knee bend. It’s like a high jumper training the triple jump. Why would they train the distance if they don’t need it.[/quote]

Sprinters don’t get into a squat position at all, but they squat to paralell at least. When basketball players and volleyball players jump, they certainly don’t go ass to grass, but they squat that way. There’s not much I can say to improve on what Dr.Manhattan said, but seriously, that’s just an ignorant argument.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
People fail to remember that team sports training and correct form are 3 different things.

As somebody said you should never base correct form on a commercial. That being said, when you are with your peers getting amped up in the gym you will do stuff to motivate yourself, that was more his purpose in stomping.

Also, people always get mad at football players and basketball players for incorrect form in the squats and other lifts. Often times what is correct form for competition does minimal when compared to minor adjustments in form for sport.

It has been shown many times in studies and on the field that a partial squat has better on the field effects than a full “Ass to the Grass” squat. [/quote]

Shut up and Squat!

ur obviously trying to make an excuse for yourself.

[quote]noahzarc wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
People fail to remember that team sports training and correct form are 3 different things.

As somebody said you should never base correct form on a commercial. That being said, when you are with your peers getting amped up in the gym you will do stuff to motivate yourself, that was more his purpose in stomping.

Also, people always get mad at football players and basketball players for incorrect form in the squats and other lifts. Often times what is correct form for competition does minimal when compared to minor adjustments in form for sport.

It has been shown many times in studies and on the field that a partial squat has better on the field effects than a full “Ass to the Grass” squat.

Jumping in the clean and jerk OR the snatch, is absolutely a great idea. However, don’t take it too far. One MUST jump when cleaning or snatching, its not an economy of motion issue, it’s an issue of getting the job done and correctly at that!

Jumping, and yes, stomping one’s feet into the platform helps in many ways. Virtually all elite lifters jump their feet, how else do they end up slightly wider than during the initial pull? Sure, everyone’s style is slightly different, but some commonalities do exist.

Oh yeah, as the weight gets heavier and heavier it will surely be more and more difficult to crisply move ones feet, but nevertheless, it should occur!
(don’t get me wrong, leaping into the air is not really necessary!)

Lastly, I’m actually really curious what kind of sources you have regarding partial squats being more applicable to on the field events over full squats. If you wouldn’t mind posting some of them, it would be interesting to read.

p.s. Here is a video of a GREAT lifter training…I’m pretty sure his feet move, both REALLY fast and really crisp.

- YouTube [/quote]

READING IS FUNDAMENTAl

#1) Although your quote is included this is not entirely to you.

1. I did not say he jumped although I guess it is a form of jumping. He stomped. His stomping in my eyes does nothing for his lift besides motivating him, and his teamates. Look how much attention it caught from people watching the commercial alone.

3)Bony Tim Google is a wonderful thing, why take my word for it when you can simply type in exercise and sports specifity YOURSELF.

1. I did not say squat for a power clean or snatch. I did say field sports, meaning sports where you run up and down a field.

2. A great entry level read for how to apply exercise to sports. www.bodybuilding.com/fun/staley1.htm

[quote]noahzarc wrote:

Jumping in the clean and jerk OR the snatch, is absolutely a great idea. However, don’t take it too far. One MUST jump when cleaning or snatching, its not an economy of motion issue, it’s an issue of getting the job done and correctly at that! … [/quote]

i agree with your post if when you say “jumping” you mean jumping under by moving the feet outward and not jumping up. clearly the guy in the original vid, and most guys i see doing this in the gym, are jumping up, which is just flat wrong and they will never clean a weight greater than they can high pull.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
erik-the-red wrote:
I did a screenshot of Halil Mutlu’s 155 C&J at the 1999 World Championships.

That’s as far as he “jumps.”

I read somewhere that focusing on the jump actually slows you down. It makes sense. The clean is so fast that if you think about jumping, you’ll cause a disruption.

What’s interesting is that you can actually tell from the snapshot that he is already starting to pull himself under the bar.
[/quote]

Exactly.

When a competition clean is correctly executed, the bar is NEVER pulled higher than hip-level, and that height may already be too high.

One should focus on “dropping” instead of “stomping.”

You mentioned Dimas, who is indeed one of the greatest Olympic lifters.

The attached image is the highest he pulled his 213 C&J at the 1996 Olympics. He dropped underneath it like 0.15 seconds later.

[quote]Taquito wrote:
It would make sense not to do full squats since linemen rarely get past lower than a slight knee bend. It’s like a high jumper training the triple jump. Why would they train the distance if they don’t need it.[/quote]

What about training through a full ROM?

I don’t know the answer, but do linemen squat in the same stance width they use for games?

I don’t like the analogy with the high jumper. Should a high jumper only do a 1/4 squat because that is what they do in their event?

Thanks for everyone’s responses and video links, much appreciated. I’ve never seen anyone come off the ground more than a couple of inches, let alone someone who is jumping and stomping, while doing cleans.

Regarding the gatorade commercial:
He’s clearly using a weight that’s very light for him. The athlete is essentially just overcueing the pull under phase of the clean. Whether or not the athlete knows he’s doing this is another question. When I’m doing cleans, on my ealier sets, I often overcue this pull under motion to try to get my mind ready to pull myself under the bar faster for the higher weights, and that often results in that jump or stomp.

Of course as the weight gets heavier, you never end up leaving the ground, but it feels the same to the body in terms of which muscles you’re contracting and relaxing to pull under the bar. Remember also that, as the weight gets higher, a properly executed Oly lift will not get a 100% extension, it will only get extension to the point that the bar is at its maximum upward momentum, before it starts to slow down. At that point, the speed of the pull under has to be emphasized.

Regarding the half-squat debate, I could definitely see the benefit of training some half squats, but only as a supplement to full squats. When you think about it, its essentially the same philosophy as doing squats with chains or bands: as you get into the stronger areas of the half squat, you want to increase the load.

So ideally, you should do full squats with chains, or full squats followed by half squats with higher weight (which I think I’m going to add to my next squat cycle now after reading this thread). Doing exclusively half squats exclusively would be stupid and dangerous. That would be just like only lowering your bench halfway (which of course plenty of people still do). Doing exclusively a partial ROM version of an excercise is just asking for problems down the road, IMO.

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
I don’t like the analogy with the high jumper. Should a high jumper only do a 1/4 squat because that is what they do in their event?[/quote]

Actually I do believe many of them do just that…

I’ve seen this debated a few times. I tend to side on the full squat side. But I can see where a point can be made for heavy partials at certain times with properly prepared individuals.