Power Cleans for Traps Mass

I know this is the bodybuilding forum, and most frown on olympic lifts etc, but I figured this might help somebody who can’t seem to put size on their traps.

Yesterday I decided to do power cleans from the hang before my deads, and worked up to a max set of 3. The soreness today in my traps is absolutely unreal. I realize some might attribute this to the deadlifts but it’s extremely rare that I get sore traps from deads. I’m thinking maybe the explosive nature of the cleans allowed me to really overload the traps, in a different way than shrugs do (I also do shrugs on a different day). Btw I only got up to 225 or so on the cleans.

Hopefully somebody can benefit from this.

Rack Pulls are better.

and shrugs are even better

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Rack Pulls are better.[/quote]

Do you try to toss a shrug in there for good measure after each rep?

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Rack Pulls are better.[/quote]

I disagree. Good but not better.

I’m a noob, but my traps are sore for days after doing rack pulls. Granted, you can’t judge the success of an exercise by soreness alone but it is what it is. The power clean is a good trap builder because when you break down the movement you are doing: a deadlift, a shrug, a high pull…all 3 hit the traps.

I think it’s a matter of what you’ve done vs where you’re going. If you’ve done nothing but shrugs then my bet is that doing some rack pulls for a few weeks will help greatly.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Rack Pulls are better.

Do you try to toss a shrug in there for good measure after each rep?[/quote]

What’s the point in that? You either do rack pulls or shrugs. No one can shrug what they work up to on rack deadlifts. Unless it’s some pansy ass weight. Trying to do a heavy rack deadlift/shrug hybrid is asking for an injury…i think.

I don’t get how peoples traps don’t get sore as hell from rack deadlifts

Work up to a balls wall set of 6-8 reps followed by a lighter set of 10-15 intense reps. Then tell me your traps aren’t sore the two days. Either you’re going to light or your form sucks if they aren’t.

I think people who don’t feel their traps doing shrugs are actually doing some hybrid jump shrug and their hips are doing all the work. I like seated shrugs, shrug up, hold for a short sec, return and stretch down. Sort of like calf raises.

That would be why I said “try” to shrug, as in just squeeze the shit out of the traps at the top of the pull for a second? Just askin

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
inkaddict wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Rack Pulls are better.

What’s the point in that? You either do rack pulls or shrugs. No one can shrug what they work up to on rack deadlifts. Unless it’s some pansy ass weight. Trying to do a heavy rack deadlift/shrug hybrid is asking for an injury…i think.

I don’t get how people don’t their traps don’t sore as hell from rack deadlifts

Work up to a balls wall set of 6-8 reps followed by a lighter set of 10-15 intense reps. Then tell me your traps aren’t sore the two days. Either you’re going to light or your form sucks if they aren’t. [/quote]

Power shrugs. CT put them in his HSS-100 for back.

[quote]johnson575 wrote:
Carlitosway wrote:
inkaddict wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Rack Pulls are better.

I don’t get how people don’t their traps don’t sore as hell from rack deadlifts

Work up to a balls wall set of 6-8 reps followed by a lighter set of 10-15 intense reps. Then tell me your traps aren’t sore the two days. Either you’re going to light or your form sucks if they aren’t.

Power shrugs. CT put them in his HSS-100 for back.[/quote]

Meh they’re just like shrugs with a bit of body english then…:smiley:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Rack Pulls are better.

Do you try to toss a shrug in there for good measure after each rep?[/quote]

Yep. Let me clarify, I shrug at the top of my rack pulls, so I do indeed think they’re better than shrugs. I can use 100 + pounds for reps compared to shrugs for reps.

[quote]mabbott29 wrote:
and most frown on olympic lifts etc[/quote]

I don’t know if it’s that people frown on them. I mean shit dude, if you wanna O-Lift because it makes you feel good, by all means, O-Lift like a motherfucker.

I think it is more along the lines of O-Lifts are not typically the most efficient and effective way of getting to your goal. That and the fact your a hell of a lot more likely to hurt yourself with a power clean than a shrug.

EDIT: assuming your goal is aesthetics…