Power Cleans As GPP?

I’m sure this has been mentioned before, but I’ve never seen it here. It gets passing mention in “The Bible According To Starr”, but would doing 5 to 10 sets of Power Cleans–5 reps-- with 50% or so of 1RM with say a minute rest between sets be a good GPP exercise on an off day or might it be too taxing?

I use them for conditioning but I use a weight in the 40-50% range but I use a little higher reps 15 and use them in a tri set of burpee x15 clean and press x 15 , skipping rope for a 50 if I can . rest minute repeat 3 more times but as my endurance fails I drop the reps on the last two tri sets I kind of go by feel because my lungs feel like there going to pop! I believe you could do just clean and presses if you wanted.but for me I get joint overuse by doing the same thing over and over so I mix it up to help me with that problem.

I like CrossFit’s Workout ‘Grace’:

30 reps of 135 pound Power Clean and Push Jerk for time.

I used this for a month or two once a week to preserve aerobic capacity while focusing on OL and was surprised by how well it carried over to sprinting ability.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
I’m sure this has been mentioned before, but I’ve never seen it here. It gets passing mention in “The Bible According To Starr”, but would doing 5 to 10 sets of Power Cleans–5 reps-- with 50% or so of 1RM with say a minute rest between sets be a good GPP exercise on an off day or might it be too taxing?
[/quote]

I love Cleans…also clean and jerks…they are awesome for building functional sports power…almost as good as squats…I change up the rep scheme…but i rarely have the energy to do these in a full workout…i like the idea of having a day where you do power cleans…good stuff.

5 X 5 of the “Bear” has always allowed me to maintain my work capacity. Even performing this once ever week can do wonders for your ability to do work in other sessions.

All good responses. One more option is Javorek’s complexes. Do the following exercises for 6 reps each one after the other with no rest in between:

UprightRow Power Snatch
Squat Push Press (Crossfit calls these “thrusters”)
Good Morning
Bent Over Row

Start with 40-50% of your best power snatch.

Good thread. Once or twice per week I am doing PCs for GPP / interval training now. Having long been a proponent of the higher rep ranges, I am all but totally converted to lower rep ranges now. So I am doing 10 sets of 5 @ 50-60% 1RM @ 60 sec rest intervals. I rip off the 5 in less than 15 secs and closer to 10. Sweating balls. And out of breath. And I am in pretty damned good “cardiovascular” condition. GPP / cardio / grease the groove / explosive training combined into one 12 minute blitz. Give it a go.

My $.02,
BFG

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
All good responses. One more option is Javorek’s complexes. Do the following exercises for 6 reps each one after the other with no rest in between:

UprightRow Power Snatch
Good Morning
Bent Over Row

[/quote]

I’ve never done…attempted a snatch. It intimidates me, since I’ve never seen it done in real life.
Am I making too much out of it?
“My what a nice snatch you have…”
I’ve read the articles, still don’t know for sure.

Joe,

Here’s a link to a demonstration of how Javorek teaches his barbell complex. As you can see, the snatch technique is no way near anything like a proper snatch. That’s okay, because this isn’t about learning the snatch but GPP.

http://istvanjavorek.com/book/bb_cmplx1.htm

If you’re serious about learning the Olympic lifts, don’t do this because it will mess you up. If all you want to do is use the O lifts for GPP and to develop some explosiveness, using this snatch technique is fine. Basically, use the same technique with the same width grip (don’t use the wide snatch grip because that wide grip is what can freak you out) you use for your power clean, but pull the bar as high as you can and go right into a press out. This technique will never pass in an O lift meet, but it’s just fine for this GPP complex.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
MikeTheBear wrote:

UprightRow Power Snatch
Good Morning
Bent Over Row

I’ve never done…attempted a snatch. It intimidates me, since I’ve never seen it done in real life.
Am I making too much out of it?
“My what a nice snatch you have…”
I’ve read the articles, still don’t know for sure.
[/quote]

Joe,

Do it. Staley's article is a good start, so is Christian Thibaudeau's ("The Other Kind of Snatch").
     The snatch is not at all dangerous. It is virtually impossible to drop the bar on yourself; if it comes down your arms always come down with it, so you end up pushing it away - I practiced my first barbell snatches without instruction, and have been training for OL for several months now, and I have never come close to getting hurt by failing a snatch.
     They are hella fun, too - I can guarantee THAT.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:

I used this for a month or two once a week to preserve aerobic capacity while focusing on OL and was surprised by how well it carried over to sprinting ability.[/quote]

Jeez, what can you max out with? I start getting winded around 10, but I’ve never even tried more to keep from losing form.

[quote]Joe,
Do it. Staley’s article is a good start, so is Christian Thibaudeau’s (“The Other Kind of Snatch”).
The snatch is not at all dangerous. It is virtually impossible to drop the bar on yourself; if it comes down your arms always come down with it, so you end up pushing it away - I practiced my first barbell snatches without instruction, and have been training for OL for several months now, and I have never come close to getting hurt by failing a snatch.
They are hella fun, too - I can guarantee THAT.[/quote]

okay. I’ll give it a try. Whattaya think I am, a pussy? I’ll try snatch.

(d’oh!)

[quote]veruvius wrote:
Ross Hunt wrote:

I used this for a month or two once a week to preserve aerobic capacity while focusing on OL and was surprised by how well it carried over to sprinting ability.

Jeez, what can you max out with? I start getting winded around 10, but I’ve never even tried more to keep from losing form.[/quote]

v,

You don't have to do the 30 reps in a single set. I usually do them in singles or doubles with short rest periods. I think my best time is a little under seven minutes.
   My best C+J is 215 pounds (power clean, split jerk).