T Nation

Power Cleans and Wrist Flexibility

I really want to do power cleans, I’ve got ‘Starting Strength’ by Mark Rippetoe which explicitly details how to do them, but I can’t seem to get into the correct top position without discomfort from extending my wrists that far back.

Also when I practice with an empty bar, I frequently hit my collar bone (in the center of my chest) and am scared that when using any significant weight I could potentially bash it. When I raise my elbows so that my upper arms are basically parallel with the ground, due to wrist inflexibility the bar is kinda pushed into my throat.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Be patient. It’s uncomfortable for EVERYONE when they first start. Don’t squeeze the bar or even attempt to grip it in the catch position. The bar is gently controlled by the finger tips.

Don’t try to rest it in the palm of your hand. If you attempt to grip the bar, for sure your wrist will hurt. Just keep working it.
Maybe build yourself a set of deltoids too.

TNT

Here’s exactly how much grip you need on the bar with 200 kg - 1 finger. Make sure you rack the bar properly when you’re done.

TNT

thanks heaps.

Yeah man, power cleans are really fucking hard. I would do some front squats for a while in preparation for them in terms of wrist flexibility. I know that when I started, I sacrificed form a LOT of form just for some extra weight. Make sure that when you do them, you do them right because you could really fuck something up with oly moves.

[quote]Br3nt0n wrote:
Also when I practice with an empty bar, I frequently hit my collar bone (in the center of my chest) and am scared that when using any significant weight I could potentially bash it. When I raise my elbows so that my upper arms are basically parallel with the ground, due to wrist inflexibility the bar is kinda pushed into my throat.
[/quote]

Keeping your elbows up and shoulders forward should allow you to catch more on your delts than your collarbone. In addition, bending your knees slightly to cushion your catch will take away your fear of bashing it.
The bar is kinda pushed into my throat, too, when I clean or front squat. Nothing much you can do about it, and as long as you can breath, it isn’t really a problem. I don’t think holding the bar in the rack position can ever stop being somewhat uncomfortable, but as you get used to in and increase your flexibility and form, it will get better.