Power Clean?

I’m keep hearing about power clean and stuff. What is that and how do you do it? I typically use squats, deadlifts, bench/DB chest presses, and pull downs (not strong enough to do chin-ups yet) as the foundation and add other exercises to my training. Thanks.

Although it is not the most technical definition, read Don Alessi’s Meltdown II article for a general description. You start the bar on the floor with your body in deadlift position, then you begin to lift as you would in a deadlift but once you cross the knees, you begin to explosively pull the bar upward with hip thrust and shoulder shrug and then you drop into a 1/4-1/2 squat and catch the bar on your delts and balance with the arms.

Pictures would really help. Maybe somebody can post a link with pics.

Try the International weightlifting Federation at www.iwf.net or the United States Weightlifting Federation at www.usaweightlifting.org. Best of Luck.

Also, www.cyberpump.com has pics of “step by step” on compound exercises.

There are pictures in issue 82.

Try this site out,has power training exercises
and video clips of cleans and other movements.
http://www.exrx.net/ Lists/PowerExercises.html

Remember when you do them that the power comes from your hips. The biggest mistake of newbies is to try to use your arms. Focus on explosively thrusting your hips up and forward and shrugging.