T Nation

Power Clean or Snatch?

Hey guys,

I’ve been lurking for along time, just soaking up all the great info. Anyway recently i’ve been doing power snatches, but i’ve been wondering what are the different benefits of power cleans and snatches? My aim is to get stronger and put on alittle size, mostly around shoulders and traps. I do BJJ and a heap of other sports so i pretty much just want to be strong for all these and get some nice muscles for the girls :slight_smile: I’ve been using a 5*5 program. So which is better for me, cleans or snatches?

oh also, i’ve had trouble with the wrist flexibility required for catching the clean, hence me just doing snatches.
Thanks for any help.

Would there be a huge problem if you used both?

-Gendou

For traps I would use cleans as you’ll be able to pull more weight with a clean than a snatch.

For shoulders I would go with a power jerk instead of snatch or clean. Also, you’ll recruit the most muscle fibers with a jerk compared to the other two.

Just stretch each of your forearms out before cleaning it should do the trick.

no problem with just doing snatches if you’re just doing it mostly for looks.

do snatches and jerks

jerks are the king of powerlifts if you ask me

[quote]OZTom wrote:
Hey guys,

I’ve been lurking for along time, just soaking up all the great info. Anyway recently i’ve been doing power snatches, but i’ve been wondering what are the different benefits of power cleans and snatches? My aim is to get stronger and put on alittle size, mostly around shoulders and traps. I do BJJ and a heap of other sports so i pretty much just want to be strong for all these and get some nice muscles for the girls :slight_smile: I’ve been using a 5*5 program. So which is better for me, cleans or snatches?

oh also, i’ve had trouble with the wrist flexibility required for catching the clean, hence me just doing snatches.
Thanks for any help. [/quote]

Looking at your goals and other activites perhaps you should opt for partial movements i.e. clean pulls, clean high pulls, snatch pulls, snatch high pulls…etc

I say this because then you need to worry a lot less about stressing your wrists/elbows with racking the clean or catching a heavy snatch.

Another option if you still want to do snatches is the close grip snatch that Mike Boyle uses with his athletes. It’s not as close as your clean grip but it’s closer than regular snatch width.

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:

Looking at your goals and other activites perhaps you should opt for partial movements i.e. clean pulls, clean high pulls, snatch pulls, snatch high pulls…etc

I say this because then you need to worry a lot less about stressing your wrists/elbows with racking the clean or catching a heavy snatch.

[/quote]

I’d have to say this is sage advice right here since it takes into account your individual situation. And the part that will help you become more explosive is still there.

Both

Thanks for the help, i think i’ll incorporate some partials in too, probably keep some snatches though for some reason i just like doing them.

I think power cleans demand less balance than power snatches. Size wise for shoulders jerks are primarily a leg targeted move. The “power” version of the jerk is the push press: using leg power to get you going and not to propel the bar over you so you can you a quick burst to fall under the bar and lock out like in the jerk.

Personally I don’t have the mental discipline to make the push-press a shoulder dominant move. So the morale of my rant is do variations of olympic lifts to get strong all around but do military press with the bar stopping at nose height with low reps to build shoulder size.

Do both.

No reason why you can’t both, just alternate sessions one for Snatch with Clean pulls or Cleans pulls from the hang. The next do Power Cleans and then Power Jerks or split Jerks and do Snatch pulls/ Snatch pulls from the hang.

You’ll definately get jacked traps from lifting properly and from doing the pulls properly.

Shoulders? You could do better exercises to get shoulder size/ strength then the OLifts. They’ll get bigger.

Power Clean = use more loads
Power Snatch = more explosive then the PC.

Do both :slight_smile:

My mate a judo player does the full Olifts and it has made his game much stronger. He’s been competiting for about 15yrs. He has noticed a big different in his game. He is 81Kg and he monsters 120Kg black belt competition players. MASSIVE different between competition players and non competition players! He has learnt to his legs, hips and back together much more efficiently then before :slight_smile:

Koing

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
I think power cleans demand less balance than power snatches. Size wise for shoulders jerks are primarily a leg targeted move. The “power” version of the jerk is the push press: using leg power to get you going and not to propel the bar over you so you can you a quick burst to fall under the bar and lock out like in the jerk.
[/quote]

The power version of the Jerk is not a push press. Push press you grind out the last press. Power Jerk the bar goes to arms length locked first time without ‘pushing’ the bar. There should be no noticeable arm pushing of the bar. It goes locked first time.

There is also another dip after the dip and drive.

So it goes like this:

Dip,
Drive,
Dip, (arms locked at arms length)

Koing

I’m just saying the Push Press is a power version because in doing the Push Press you don’t fall under the bar as much as you do at the end of completing a jerk.

Push/split jerks are king. Mix in Power cleans and snatches, with some plyometrics for upperbody and lower body. Do that for a few weeks and dominate!

I like to do power cleans (from hang) and push presses as my staple and supplement it with some clean grip snatches (also from hang). I have found that this works really well for me as I am bigger and stronger than I’ve ever been since focusing on the clean and press.

I would agree with everyone else that the press is crucial, I used to just do the power cleans, but have felt that my strength and power have gone through the roof since I started implementing a press at the end of each clean. I would suggest that you add the press to you power cleans and then do 1/2 the reps you would normally do on your cleans since your now doing twice as much work on each rep, this way you can go heavier.

One quick question for everyone else, would a split jerk be better than just a plain push press?

Actually its better to do push jerks than presses. You do presses to strengthen the muscles involved in the jerk. You will gain more doing jerks than presses because of the force used in the movement. Also its better to seperate PC’s and PJ’s instead of combining in the same workout. It is much more taxing on the nervous system/body to do both in the same workout, its better to focus on one, then hit the other the following day.

Just remember when you push press your using your shoulders mainly and when you jerk your focus is to dip and basically throw the weight up with your lower body and all the upper body does is catch it when it goes above your head. No pressing whatsoever. Also does wonders for the vertical! GL!

[quote]skiburr wrote:
I like to do power cleans (from hang) and push presses as my staple and supplement it with some clean grip snatches (also from hang). I have found that this works really well for me as I am bigger and stronger than I’ve ever been since focusing on the clean and press.

I would agree with everyone else that the press is crucial, I used to just do the power cleans, but have felt that my strength and power have gone through the roof since I started implementing a press at the end of each clean. I would suggest that you add the press to you power cleans and then do 1/2 the reps you would normally do on your cleans since your now doing twice as much work on each rep, this way you can go heavier.

One quick question for everyone else, would a split jerk be better than just a plain push press?[/quote]

what do you guys think about the difference between the pull in power cleans and power snatches? I’ve noticed that due to the weight difference the snatch pull is much faster. What do you guys think about this and how it applies to performance?

I dunno how it works but my snatch has always been way faster than my clean.

[quote]skiburr wrote:

One quick question for everyone else, would a split jerk be better than just a plain push press?[/quote]

Better in what sense?

Split Jerker will ultimately lift more. Few WR and fewer of the really big lifts at any weight class are of the non split Jerk variety. Some are but those guys are just FREAKS.

Push press, mix it up. Work in your Power Jerk also. So do sa 6-8 week cycle or one and do another 6-8 week cycle of the other.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
what do you guys think about the difference between the pull in power cleans and power snatches? I’ve noticed that due to the weight difference the snatch pull is much faster. What do you guys think about this and how it applies to performance?[/quote]

The pull patch of the bar is near enough identical. The Snatch the bar will make contact higher due to the wider grip when compared to the Clean. The angles of the hips and shouldes are the same in both the pulls (should be anyway!).

Snatch is faster and is more used by throwers but also with the Clean grip.

Me as an OLifter I would say use both. The Clean is suppose to be really fast also but it just isn’t as fast as the Snatch due to the amount of weight you use.

Koing

[quote]OZTom wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for any help. [/quote]

Well, if i were you i’d do the power cleans or even a push press. The snatch requires skill and your not into the snatch for the snatches sake. But you might be better off, cleaning the bar and then doing military presses. But military presses takes a strong core. and getting the bar up, the jerk, takes speed and good hip and glutes and quad strength.

I am pretty good at cleaning the bar, i use a lot of power and speed. most guys i see to it look like they are doing it in slow motion.

Besides keeping the core muscle strong, for obvious reasons you have to keep your shouders and scapula very flexible. And if you do tricep work along with upper back work like lat pulldowns and forearm work you will do well.